Question Advice for overclocking CPU, RAM

Clutch84

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2014
Hi everyone.

Wanted to look into doing some overclocking with my current build, to squeeze out some extra performance.

Spec's are as follows:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X - 3.80 GHz 6 Core 12 Thread
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 CAS 15-17-17-35
GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
MoBo - ASUS TUF X470
CPU Cooler - Corsair H110i V2 AIO
PSU - EVGA 1000G

In BIOS, RAM is shown at 2166 MHz

Wanting to get the ram to operate at 3000 MHz, as listed, and to overclock the CPU to at least 4.0-4.2 GHz(if possible).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Clutch84 :)

OK well first you need to establish a baseline for Overclocking, so conduct a stress test at default Frequency and we will see how far we can go with the CPU first then tackle your RAM.

Download AIDA64 (I'ts free for a month). Go to the Tools menu and select the stress test. Check boxes for CPU, FPU and Cache only. Run the test for 10 mins, take screen shots and provide a link to your favorite host site. You can use IMGUR to obtain a bbl url link.
I also use HWInfo64 monitor to obtain Rail voltage info and TDie temperature info. They can be put on your desktop together when taking screenies which is the best way to analyze your system.
Depending on the sample ofc (silicon lottery) you should be able to achieve 4.2-4.3GHz with your H110i.
A decent Overclock is done methodically and requires patience to reach your goal.
Awaiting your results before we move on.

Motherboard name is not ASUS TUF X470, it's TUF X470 Gaming Plus.
You can set memory parameters manually.

Referring to the downloadable
Version E138822018/04/12 update 6.02 MBytes
TUF X470-Plus Gaming User's Manual

Section 3.5
Change AI Overclock Tuner to [Manual]
Change Memory Frequency option to the speed desired

Section 3.2.2
See the picture:
Look for DRAM Timing Control
Starting with #Cas Latency set timings to recommended settings 15-17-17-35

You may also need to set DRAM voltage to manufacturers specs.

-or-

You can use DOCP Dram OverClocking Profile

Section 3.2.1
See the picture

D.O.C.P. is set to Disabled. You can choose a profile here to set your memory to rated specifications.

If your settings are too extreme and your PC won't boot. Clearing CMOS will return BIOS settings to default values. Be sure to unplug the PC from the wall outlet before clearing CMOS.