[SOLVED] Advice for running ATX and Server PSU at the same time ?

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
I just started mining a while ago and want to add another GPU that I just bought, my current PSU is Thermaltake TR2 S 500W, unfortunately, it does not have enough power to run 2 GPU of 1060 6 GB. so I just bought another Server PSU, riser and its breaker board inspired from this video here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqhNR9s7Ddk

In that video, the ATX PSU and Server PSU are running from a different source and he turning on the device separately.

My concern is what if a blackout happens for only a split second and for some reason, only one of the PSUs stays on, will my device will be safe especially if I'm out of the house and only notice it after a day or more?

Solution
Ah, I see... so the impact to my device is minimum even if there is some blackout and only one of the PSUs is on?

It depends on which one is OFF.

If the system's PSU is off, the whole rig is off, technically. The fans on the GPU using the external PSU might continue to spin, nothing else.

If the external PSU is off, the rig will either freeze or continue to run with the remaining GPU (you have to make a test to see what happens and adjust the settings accordingly).

also, you mention that the "rig will either freeze" if only my ATX PSU is on, is this very bad damage to my device? will it start a fire hazard or something?

If you setup your mining rig correctly, it should continue working even when one of the GPU is...

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
Your rig will either freeze or continue to run (probably with half of hash rate), it depends on the nature of the hardware and software being used.
what if the PSU stays on is the Server PSU which only powers the GPU, and the ATX PSU that powers the Motherboard is down. will it affect my device?

I'm using windows with nicehash right now

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
As there are plenty of good quality PSU’s that can easily run 2 1060’s why not just use a single psu? I’d also want a higher quality psu than a Thermaltake TR2 S 500W powering a gpu and system 24/7.
I know someone will eventually say this but I don't have another budget to buy a good ATX PSU, and that Server PSU price is not even half-price of the PSU that has 800 W or more. so I want to gain some money to buy a good PSU and maybe buying another GPU in the future.

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
If the PSU powering your motherboard is down, the whole system will shutdown too, including the GPU running on the Server PSU.
I see, but why this happened? I mean, if you take a look at the video which I mention at minutes of 9:15. when he turning on the Server PSU, the GPU will also be turned ON, even though the ATX PSU itself is still off.

I see, but why this happened? I mean, if you take a look at the video which I mention at minutes of 9:15. when he turning on the Server PSU, the GPU will also be turned ON, even though the ATX PSU itself is still off.

That's the normal sequence to start the system, be it external GPU or external HDD, you start the accessories first, then the main system.

BTW you don't have to use a server PSU, any other regular ATX PSU will be fine for your GPU, the guy made this video expressly to test the server PSU that someone sent him.

I know someone will eventually say this but I don't have another budget to buy a good ATX PSU, and that Server PSU price is not even half-price of the PSU that has 800 W or more. so I want to gain some money to buy a good PSU and maybe buying another GPU in the future.

I know what you are saying but trying to run 2 PSU’s is risky, I’d only consider it when there is no other option. One mistake and you can damage everything connected.

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
That's the normal sequence to start the system, be it external GPU or external HDD, you start the accessories first, then the main system.

BTW you don't have to use a server PSU, any other regular ATX PSU will be fine for your GPU, the guy made this video expressly to test the server PSU that someone sent him.
Ah, I see... so the impact to my device is minimum even if there is some blackout and only one of the PSUs is on?
also, you mention that the "rig will either freeze" if only my ATX PSU is on, is this very bad damage to my device? will it start a fire hazard or something?

It depends on which one is OFF.

If the system's PSU is off, the whole rig is off, technically. The fans on the GPU using the external PSU might continue to spin, nothing else.

If the external PSU is off, the rig will either freeze or continue to run with the remaining GPU (you have to make a test to see what happens and adjust the settings accordingly).

If you setup your mining rig correctly, it should continue working even when one of the GPU is off-line. In the worst case the computer will freeze, it's not a big deal per se, more of a waste of electricity, technically.

Fire hazard is another concern, you shouldn't leave your computer running for days unattended, nobody can predict when or why it happens. If you absolutely have to do so, there must be a sort of automatic fire suppression system or at least an alarm.

Solution