[SOLVED] Advice for simracing setup

Nov 18, 2021
Hi everyone, I need a little help with a gift for my big brother. For now I think I can afford only the steering wheel so I’d like to add later the other parts. I’d also need something that can be used with PC, PS4 and possibly with PS5. My budget would be around 200 euro for all the set up and I’m buying in Italy. I’m totally ignorant about sim racing so every suggestion is very welcomed. Thank you very much!

[Moderator Note: Moving post from Computer Peripherals to PC Gaming. More applicable category.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The problem you are going to run into with the piecemeal mindset, vs going with a wheel/pedal kit, is the racing wheels that are sold modularly are generally going to be more on the professional end and very expensive. Several hundred to 1000 Euros is not uncommon for just a wheel and no mounting base.

On the more affordable end, there are kits like the PXN V9 that come with wheel, 3 pedal set, and H shifter, for about 200 Euros, but the construction is mostly plastic and lacks the quality of brands like Logitech or Thrustmaster. Amazon.it carries it, but there are not many reviews and the rating is not good.

That said, Fanatec is a high end consumer brand that specializes in modular design, but availability in Italy may be...
The problem you are going to run into with the piecemeal mindset, vs going with a wheel/pedal kit, is the racing wheels that are sold modularly are generally going to be more on the professional end and very expensive. Several hundred to 1000 Euros is not uncommon for just a wheel and no mounting base.

On the more affordable end, there are kits like the PXN V9 that come with wheel, 3 pedal set, and H shifter, for about 200 Euros, but the construction is mostly plastic and lacks the quality of brands like Logitech or Thrustmaster. Amazon.it carries it, but there are not many reviews and the rating is not good.

That said, Fanatec is a high end consumer brand that specializes in modular design, but availability in Italy may be difficult, as I saw literally none of their wheels on Amazon.it, just a wheel mounting base for a whopping 659 Euros! Fanatec DOES however list wheels in the 250 USD price range on their US site, but my guess is you would be hard pressed to find them and everything you need to go with it in Italy, and even if you could, the price would be high.

After looking at amazon.it, your best bet may be going with something like the Logitech G29 kit for 259 Euros. Sure, it's a bit more than your 200 Euro budget, but it comes with a 3 pedal set with metal pedals, and the wheel has metal paddle shifters, metal spokes, and a leather wrapped grip surface. It's also compatible with the platforms you mentioned.

https://www.amazon.it/Volante-Corsa-Logitech-Driving-Force/dp/B00YUIM2J0/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_it_IT=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=Logitech+G29&qid=1637347223&qsid=257-9256289-0609937&sr=8-1&sres=B00YUIM2J0,B00YUOVBZK,B01LSKLAOU,B07W7KFFFF,B00ZWOUH4S,B07W6J6TG5,B07GS6ZB7T,B07MTY5HH8,B00LFBEOUA,B01L6L52K4,B07VWFKTK7,B006A2Q81M,B0866GXGQD,B01M8M8G23,B085WN669N,B0748NCPN5,B01MCXJWD1,B009ZELZ7O,B07MTWHWZ1,B07CGPZ3ZQ&th=1

Many prefer the feel and convenience of paddle shifters, which many games support, but if you want to eventually add an H Shifter for that retro feel when racing older or less high end vehicles in games, they sell a separate H Shifter too that is compatible with the G29 kit for 49 Euros.

https://www.amazon.it/Logitech-Driving-Manopola-Cambio-Volanti/dp/B00ZWOUH4S/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_it_IT=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=Logitech+G29+H+SHifter&qid=1637347887&qsid=257-9256289-0609937&sr=8-1&sres=B00ZWOUH4S,B00YUIM2J0,B005L0Z2BQ,B07GS6ZB7T,B085WN669N,B00CCR5GPI,B01K7JEIOC,B00YUOVBZK,B085Y4BQVC,B078214RS4,B07W7KFFFF,B08N79HM77,B014XZ85F4,B099NBFMJ1,B07DK6TXMS,B08LGWJ219,B07W6H9L5G,B091B3QQ4B,B08NV8X5MD,B01DPQ4S1C

Logitech even makes a stand to hold wheel, pedals, and H Shifter that is compatible with the G29 model if you want a more customizable cockpit feel., for 76 Euros.

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07D11D8H5...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Note that while Logitech is a well known brand and has pretty good title support, it's best to check on the titles supported with any wheel you buy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Logitech_Racing_Wheels_compatible_games

Last edited:
Solution
Nov 18, 2021
Thank you for your help! I've just found out that right now the Thrustmaster T150 RS is on sale for 132 euro. The huge difference in price with the Logitech G29 would be worth it? Or could it be a good compromise? Thanks again for your help!

Thank you for your help! I've just found out that right now the Thrustmaster T150 RS is on sale for 132 euro. The huge difference in price with the Logitech G29 would be worth it? Or could it be a good compromise? Thanks again for your help!
If it's just a T150 RS, no, I would not get t hat kit. If it's the T150 RS Pro, that kit has a 3 vs 2 pedal set, which is metal, vs plastic on the 2 pedal set. So at least make sure it's a pro set before you buy.

Overall though, I would still guess the quality and compatibility to be better on the G29. I also don't know if that sale you're referring to is in Italy or not, because amazon.it prices don't show such a deal. I also noticed at least one of the links I put up isn't consistently directing to amazon.it, but amazon.com instead (at least on my end), so sorry if that caused any confusion if it happened to you.

Basically it's very hard to do this kind of research from way over here in the states. If you're currently in Italy, do some searches for deals on the Logitech G29. If that's where you are, you'll no doubt have more luck finding sites than I can from here. Keep in mind too that it matters a TON on this kind of product whether you can return for full refund for any reason within a month, and usually up to 2 months during the holiday season, which is why I suggested Amazon.

Last edited:
I would suggest holding out until Black Friday for a G29/290 setup. A few years ago I managed to pick up wheel, shifter and 3 pedal base for £119 which is roughly €140-€150. This was in the January sales but hopefully something good will be available on Black Friday. I then bought a Playseat Challenge also on sale and ended up with a very fun setup for less than £300.

I would suggest holding out until Black Friday for a G29/290 setup. A few years ago I managed to pick up wheel, shifter and 3 pedal base for £119 which is roughly €140-€150. This was in the January sales but hopefully something good will be available on Black Friday. I then bought a Playseat Challenge also on sale and ended up with a very fun setup for less than £300.
NOICE!! But what country did you purchase it in? Also, a few years ago vs today means no global pandemic problem, so yeah, I would expect the situation to be better back then. ;)

NOICE!! But what country did you purchase it in? Also, a few years ago vs today means no global pandemic problem, so yeah, I would expect the situation to be better back then. ;)
I bought in UK so similar taxes to the rest of Europe. The G29/G290 often go on sale here at a few places. It’s going to be interesting to see what electronic deals are available during this years BF. There have been some great pre BF deals on RAM, SSD’s and other pc accessories but can’t say I’ve seen anything for a G29/290 setup yet.