Question Advice for upgrade?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 20, 2019
Yesterday my desktop I built in 2012 dropped out of power. At a local shop they checked and it wasn't the power supply, RAM, or RAM slot, (we tried with a new power supply and new RAM). So probably the motherboard and/or the processor. All in all, time for an upgrade :).
The motherboard was a Asrock A75 Pro4, and the cpu a AMD A8-3850,sFM1. I intend to keep the case (Thermaltake Soprano No Power, Black), and power supply.

My PC useage:
I do NOT game (besides minesweeper and such :))
I do use statistical software (SPSS, and R).
I do use programming software (Visual Studio, Microsoft SQL Management Studio and Server).
I do use MS Excel extensively (VBA for application, Data modeller)
I do use some basic video tools for screen recordings, but nothing heavy (not using Adobe or something)
I do use (of course) internet browsing, MS Word, MS Powerpoint etc.

So I guess my focus is on computation, not so much visualisation.

My budget is somewhat flexible, anywhere between 200 to 500 Euro/Dollar.

So I did some digging of course myself.
First the processor. I've enjoyed my AMD, and price wise I think their Ryzen processors are great value for money. A Ryzen 7 seems somewhat too expensive so was thinking about either the Ryzen 5 2600, or the Ryzen 2600X. The 2600 seems a steal at 135 euro vs. the 200 euro for a 2600X. I did read you might need some extra cooler for the 2600, which would make the gap between these two smaller. But at the moment I'm leaning towards the 2600.

Then the motherboard. I've come across the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC for about 135 euro, and a MSI X470 Gaming Pro for about 125. I think most often the Carbon is mentioned as the one to go for.

The third thing I would need is a videocard. My previous build didn't require one because of the APU. I recently got as a monitor a LG34WK500 (will need to double check this when I'm home), which I use in combination with my previous monitor also an LG (not ultrawide, but forgot the exact specs). I've seen the Sapphire Radeon RX 550 2GB PULSE for 105, the MSI Radeon RX 570 ARMOR 4G for 175 and the Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 GAMING 4GB for 200. However these later ones I think might not be so needed for me, since I don't game, so was perhaps thinking of a GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 OC 3G which is about 150.

So at the moment, I'm thinking:
Ryzen 5 2600 - 135 euro
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC - 135 euro
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 OC 3G - 150 euro

This would make a total price of 420. Additionally I would need some new RAM.

Then I also came across the AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, which is if I'm not mistaken an APU, so would remove the need for a dedicated graphics card. I've seen this go for 132 euros, essentially saving me the cost of the graphics card.

My main question is in essence: any advice? Which can be split into questions like:
Am I over looking something?
Which motherboard-CPU-graphics card combination would you recommend?
Should I simply go for the Ryzen 5 2400G and skip the video card?
Any other suggestions, comments?

Thanks in advance for your reaction.

Thanks for the clarifications, I think I'm starting to understand it a bit better now. If I'm going to get a M2 drive, I will lose perhaps a SATA port, but am using at max 3 of those I think (one for my old DVD burner, and 2 for my current old hard drived).
Just a few minutes ago just went for it and ordered:
New MOBO: ASRock B450M Pro4-F
New APU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor
New RAM: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

And just to avoid any problems, also a new PSU:
Seasonic Focus Gold 450

Once I get all the stuff, and have my desktop running again, will definitely look into a new harddrive, especially into that Samsung Evo Plus

Again thanks for all the advice.
You will only lose a SATA port if you get a SATA M2 drive. If you get a NVMe M2 drive you will keep all of the SATA ports.

May 20, 2019
You can upgrade the Samsung Evo Plus for 30 Euro to 500GB (recommended)
Your PSU isn't that good, and would recommend something better as listed below
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (€144.90 @ Alternate)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B450-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (€84.95 @ ARLT)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€87.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (€79.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GT 1030 2 GB Video Card (€74.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€63.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €536.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-22 16:42 CEST+0200
That was supposed to be a 2400G...thanks for the catch.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor (€128.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B450-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (€84.95 @ ARLT)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€87.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Crucial - BX500 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€53.80 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€63.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €419.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-22 17:04 CEST+0200

I got everything in yesterday, and managed to get my desktop working again. Thanks for all the advice.

One thing is not working though. Only one of the two DDR4 is actually working, the other is not recoginized. I put them in the A2 & B2 slot. The bios is up-to-date. I did notice on the asrock site here, that the F4-3200C16D-16GVKB is not listed :-( So does this mean I'm stuck with it only using one of the two, or is there something I could try on this?

May 20, 2019
If you have a p[roblem, you can always return it and tell them it's not working.
One could be faulty or the motherboard could be faulty.
Just let them know you RAM has a problem.

Thanks, that was fast.

Actually managed to fix the issue :D. I swopped the two with each other and it immediately worked. Had to manually adjust it in the BIOS to the 3200, but after that it seems to work fine.

Alright, going to enjoy working on my desktop again, and looking into this Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB.

Thanks, that was fast.

Actually managed to fix the issue :D. I swopped the two with each other and it immediately worked. Had to manually adjust it in the BIOS to the 3200, but after that it seems to work fine.

Alright, going to enjoy working on my desktop again, and looking into this Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB.
For a little less money you can go with the Intel 660p 1TB. While it is only a PCIe X2 instead of an X4 SSD, you will not notice any difference in performance.