[SOLVED] Advice for upgrading a 4th gen - based gaming PC

Austinomical

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Hello, I have a pretty old PC and I am struggling to play some modern games now. What would you guys recommend I upgrade?

I currently have:
i5 4690k - 4th gen Haswell
DDR3 - 16 GB ram
Asus Z97 chipset mobo
GTX 970
Corsair H105 cooling
EVGA 750 PSU
Corsair full tower case

I was thinking about getting a gtx 2070 super, and then upgrading my MOBO and CPU and ram a little later. I wanna play COD warzone on full and other games like mount and blade banner lord and other new games. I'm on a budget, so looking for the best value here. Probably AMD I am guessing. Should I keep my gtx 970 and upgrade the rest or what should I be looking to do? My CPU is pretty old so I can't really play intensive large games. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Solution
the best immediate upgrade you can make is getting a good large solid state drive.
it can speed up load times for most games, applications, and with Windows itself.

getting a nice GPU like the 2070 Super will let you turn up settings and things ingame but probably won't really boost fps much due to the limiting CPU & RAM.
that's a good place to start though because you can make use of it now and upgrade the platform later.

if you only buy a new modern motherboard, a CPU, or DDR4 RAM; there's nothing you can do with them until you also upgrade the other 2 items.
the best immediate upgrade you can make is getting a good large solid state drive.
it can speed up load times for most games, applications, and with Windows itself.

getting a nice GPU like the 2070 Super will let you turn up settings and things ingame but probably won't really boost fps much due to the limiting CPU & RAM.
that's a good place to start though because you can make use of it now and upgrade the platform later.

if you only buy a new modern motherboard, a CPU, or DDR4 RAM; there's nothing you can do with them until you also upgrade the other 2 items.

Solution

Austinomical

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

I have a small m.2 drive for windows, but it's too small for any games (I bought it when the tech was new). What kind would you recommend? Could you also recommend some parts to me that have a good performance for price? I've heard the AMD ryzen 3600 is good?

What kind would you recommend?
the SAMSUNG 860 QVO Series 2.5" 2TB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-76Q2T0B/AM is the "games" drive i prefer. my 1TB version has worked great for some time but has now begun to run out of free space with ~25 games installed on it, so I recommend the 2TB version.

Could you also recommend some parts to me that have a good performance for price?
that depends a lot on what type performance you are looking to achieve, what budget you have available, where you live(what country), and what exactly is available at the moment of purchase(due to outbreak, many items are out of stock at this moment).