[SOLVED] Advice for upgrading Lenovo M83 SFF. Thanks!

Mar 28, 2020
Hi to everyone! I'm new here so I would like to say thanks beforehand to anyone who might help.

The thing is that I'm planning on buying (for a ridiculous, symbolic amount) and upgrading (just adding a GPU) a Lenovo M83 SFF desktop. The main specs are the following:

Socket1150
CPUi5 4570
RAM8GB DDR3
PSU240W

System would be Windows 10.

As I have researched, I think throwing in a GTX 1050 would pair well with the CPU. Obviously, it should be a low profile one so it fits as seen in other cases in this same forum or YouTube. However, I haven't found any explicit comments for this set-up.

I have come to good offers for a MSI GTX 1050 TI 4GT L.P. and an ordinary Seasonic TFX 300W PSU.

I'm also having my doubts about that 1050 drawing power from a PCIe 2.0 slot, as I'm pretty noob and got to no clear conclussion.

So, there goes my question: how confident should I be about this planned set-up? Should I go for it?

Many thanks in advance, and stay safe those in COVID19 countries!!

Last edited:
You want to make sure the GPU will fit into your case/ mb. Because the gtx1050ti 4GT dimensions (L x H) is 182.12mmx 69.09mm, from the picture, I saw the hdd may block the gpu. Also make sure the low profile GPU is the single slot GPU too, I think the 1050ti 4GT is the dual slot format, it may not fit in, check your pc first.

If it is your PC: https://recompute.co.zw/product/lenovo-thinkcentre-m83-sff/

Reactions: SamirD
Mar 28, 2020
You want to make sure the GPU will fit into your case/ mb. Because the gtx1050ti 4GT dimensions (L x H) is 182.12mmx 69.09mm, from the picture, I saw the hdd may block the gpu. Also make sure the low profile GPU is the single slot GPU too, I think the 1050ti 4GT is the dual slot format, it may not fit in, check your pc first.

If it is your PC: https://recompute.co.zw/product/lenovo-thinkcentre-m83-sff/

Many thanks for your fast response.

Regarding room, it should be enough I think - there are some videos of people who did it. What do you think as for this figure?
skP2jQw.jpg

Regarding the number of slots, it is only one, but that's my concern: will a 75W card work through a PCIe 2.0 power supply only?

Thanks again,
Pablo.

Many thanks for your fast response.

Regarding room, it should be enough I think - there are some videos of people who did it. What do you think as for this figure?
skP2jQw.jpg

Regarding the number of slots, it is only one, but that's my concern: will a 75W card work through a PCIe 2.0 power supply only?

Thanks again,
Pablo.

Hold on, if there is actually documented cases where people did this and you found videos, you already have your answers.

Mar 28, 2020
Hold on, if there is actually documented cases where people did this and you found videos, you already have your answers.

Thanks for keeping up.

Yes, I just had doubts after the reply since I hadn't personally checked it myself.

For whoever might have this question in the future: My conclusion is that even though no one affirms beforehand it 100%, all people who have tried putting an 75W LP GPU on this SFF Lenovos have got positive results, as far as I know.

GTX 1050 Ti fits and the 240W PSU is enough for it, even though you should not try crazy OC.

As soon as quarantine ends and get my pieces, I'll put the result here for general knowledge.

Reactions: SamirD
Apr 3, 2020
Thanks for keeping up.

Yes, I just had doubts after the reply since I hadn't personally checked it myself.

For whoever might have this question in the future: My conclusion is that even though no one affirms beforehand it 100%, all people who have tried putting an 75W LP GPU on this SFF Lenovos have got positive results, as far as I know.

GTX 1050 Ti fits and the 240W PSU is enough for it, even though you should not try crazy OC.

As soon as quarantine ends and get my pieces, I'll put the result here for general knowledge.

Hi the one that can work is the one with single slot or the one with 2 slot ?

I have like the exact same pc and i'm trying to upgrade it too ! :D

Thanks for answer.

Single slot or dual slots? You have to make the measurement by yourself, because we don't have that pc in hand. Get the gpu's dimension online, then check the space inside the case, and you will know. But from the picture, if there is other add-on card next the GPU, you have to buy the single slot one, if you want to keep that add-on card. But check the space.

Reactions: Zeylef