[SOLVED] Advice for whether to upgrade video card or purchase a new system altogether

Jul 6, 2020
Hi,
I was wondering if you guys had some advice about my situation. I have fairly old system now which so far I had been happy with. I was using it mainly for some games which run ok-ish so far but when I tried to make VR headset work with it it pretty much did no work. Would it be worthwhile to just get the better video card to have the system last for few more years or would this be wasted money? i was not looking for top performance in modern games but was hoping for them to at least be OK on med settings and use VR (oculus). If something else needs to upgraded on top of video card what would it be? The budget would be around $300-$400 (for the upgrade, i understand that the new system would be a lot more) or so - thank you very much in advance for the advice!
p.s. i live in US

Processor: Intel® CoreT i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Motherboard: Asus® Maximus VI Gene 2x SLI/CrossFire
Cooler: MAINGEAR EPIC 120 Supercooler
RAM: 16GB Corsair® VengeanceT
Graphics: GeForceT GTX 770 2GB GDDR5
Solid State Drive (SSD): 250GB Samsung® 840 EVO
Hard Disk Drive (HDD): 2TB Seagate
Power Supply: 750W EVGA® SuperNOVA 80 Plus
CASE/fans: F131 with VRTX Cooling Technology, SilenX 15dB Fan Package

Solution
I'd say you're certainly being held back by your GPU right now.

Buying a new GPU doesn't prevent you from upgrading the CPU+mobo+ram+SSD+PSU later if you're still not getting the performance you need (aka, you become CPU-bound)

Overclock your CPU!!
I'd say you're certainly being held back by your GPU right now.

Buying a new GPU doesn't prevent you from upgrading the CPU+mobo+ram+SSD+PSU later if you're still not getting the performance you need (aka, you become CPU-bound)

Overclock your CPU!!

Reactions: Bz333
Solution
Jul 6, 2020
Thank you really much!! So what i am hearing is that the base is still OK to go from and it makes sense to invest the money into upgrading the GPU, right? (and overclocking)

TRENDING THREADS