[SOLVED] [Advice] from desktop to eGPU?

Jan 10, 2020
Hi everyone,

I will be getting the current Dell XPS 15 7590 with an i9-9980HK, 32 gigs of RAM and 2TB SSD. The system will be completely free as it is supplied by my employer.
To work conveniently from home I will need to buy a fitting dock for the new laptop (employer only provides accessories that are used at work, not for homeoffice), which will cost me about 100-200€.

As a moderate gamer, have my personal desktop gaming rig at home, which features an i7-7700k, 16GB RAM and a NVIDIA GTX 1080. The resell value of the system should be anything between 1000 and 1400€ here in Germany.

My idea right now is to save the money for the dock, sell my gaming rig, buy an Razer Core X Chroma (~400€) and a RTX 2080 Super (~720€), and use the Razer Core X Chroma as a dock.

Reading the different reviews and tests all over the internet I am unsure if I will be able to get anything near the performance I am used too out of the laptop + eGPU combo.

So basically I have to options:
1.) Get a dock for the new laptop and game on my personal desktop, which will cost some money for the dock.
2.) Sell the rig and get the eGPU and 2080 Super, maybe making some money but possibly loosing gaming performance.

Any advice on this?

Solution
thanks for your reply!
I don't really need to take these points into consideration. First, I can't get fired without getting a whole bunch of money (thanks to german laws). Second, I am part of the IT, so I am excluded from the restrictive security policies. And third, all my work stuff is permanently triple backed up on cloud, external drive and work servers.

Ok well the laptop will outperform your 7700k because even though its a laptop its a significantly newer processor with more cores and memory.

I still personally wouldn't spend money to game on work hardware, but I don't think you'd lose should you go that route.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I think you're crazy to plan around and buy equipment related to gaming on your work supplied computer. What if you get fired? What if their IT dept decides to lock everything down, what if you crash the thing and wipe out all your work stuff?

Keep work and home separate.

Jan 10, 2020
I think you're crazy to plan around and buy equipment related to gaming on your work supplied computer. What if you get fired? What if their IT dept decides to lock everything down, what if you crash the thing and wipe out all your work stuff?

Keep work and home separate.

thanks for your reply!
I don't really need to take these points into consideration. First, I can't get fired without getting a whole bunch of money (thanks to german laws). Second, I am part of the IT, so I am excluded from the restrictive security policies. And third, all my work stuff is permanently triple backed up on cloud, external drive and work servers.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
thanks for your reply!

Ok well the laptop will outperform your 7700k because even though its a laptop its a significantly newer processor with more cores and memory.

I still personally wouldn't spend money to game on work hardware, but I don't think you'd lose should you go that route.

Solution