advice/help needed to boost volume

drdenby

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
I have a 2.1 speaker system. It is very good. Can get way too loud if all volumes are maxed (speaker, computer, media player). I am quite happy with them.

My problem is when I am watching/listening/playing something with poor sound quality.

Is there such thing as something inexpensive that can boost the volume for the few times I need it that will not do any damage or anything? That I can turn off or disconnect or lower when I don't need it?

If so can you point me in the direction of what I need please.

Solution
if that's the case, Dell and HP will make the argument on any device physical or software that increases sound output beyond what the speakers can "handle". I'm sure their warranty claim is not limited to VLC alone. However, I've been using VLC for years on laptops and desktops, and I've never had a sound issue even when used at 200%

external speakers are all i can suggest, like some cheap usb powered ones for like 20 bucks should do the trick.

if you're in canada or america, tiger direct sells them for about 14.99 cdn for gearheads, and about 19.99 for HP's, 2.1 sound systems that do provide enough volume and pitch clarity for regular use.

if you go to a tiger direct/canada computers, they have the speakers on display, so bring your...

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013

yeah i agree with this, i use VLC for all my movies (winamp for music), and for gaming i generally just use a headset and max it out if i need to and works well.

drdenby

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
I know it sounds silly, but I had not heard of VLC.

So I did some research and I found something interesting.

Dell and HP are not honoring warranties if VLC is installed on laptops. VLC had sounded like something worth looking into until I read this.

I don't understand the technical aspects of it but something about "hard clipping" and the way it increases volume past 100% damages speakers over a period of time.

Do you guys know about this? Is there perhaps something else I can use? some sort of amplifier for just the few times I need it?

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
if that's the case, Dell and HP will make the argument on any device physical or software that increases sound output beyond what the speakers can "handle". I'm sure their warranty claim is not limited to VLC alone. However, I've been using VLC for years on laptops and desktops, and I've never had a sound issue even when used at 200%

external speakers are all i can suggest, like some cheap usb powered ones for like 20 bucks should do the trick.

if you're in canada or america, tiger direct sells them for about 14.99 cdn for gearheads, and about 19.99 for HP's, 2.1 sound systems that do provide enough volume and pitch clarity for regular use.

if you go to a tiger direct/canada computers, they have the speakers on display, so bring your laptop the REP will allow you to test it out.

Solution

drdenby

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
I see. Thank you. Hearing that you have used it for years has given me assurance to try it.

I had wanted something for the desktop (that has the 2.1 speaker system) and it sounds like this will work. I will give VLC a try.

drdenby

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
I dont know what I am doing wrong. I can only get 125% max.. the equalizer didnt do anything noticeable. How can I get 200? or even 400 that when i researched VLC it said capable of?

Honestly I cant say it is any louder than wmp at 100%

What am I missing?

drdenby

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
WHOA. Man did I find it and then some! I can hear this piss poor audio in the next room over the a/c!

For anyone having the same problem, here is the adjustment:

Tools > Effects and Filters > Audio Effects tab > Compressor:
* [v] Enable dynamic range compressor
* Makeup gain < increase the value

still tho how can i get it to 200% instead of max of 125?

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013

If you're clicking the volume bar thats probably why, i get the same issue, you should have a scroll wheel on your mouse, when video/song is playing whike still in vlc, just scroll up with the wheel on the mouse and that should get you to 200%.

Also, in the sound control panel (right click bottom right sound icon in task tray, and click on sounds), click on your sound device hit properties at the bottom, go to levels tab, and double check to see if volume bar is at max.

If you still can't hear well through the speakers, then the speakers are too low in quality.