[SOLVED] Advice in configuring components for Prebuilt PC

Frindis

Reputable
Nov 29, 2020
Greetings community,

I'm helping my nephew in finding his first gaming PC and I have picked some parts I thought might be good from a variety of options. He will be using his PC for gaming and light multimedia. The price range is around 2,5K USD including the monitor/keyboard/mouse.

My question is if the community has had any experiences with the parts I am adding to the prebuilt PC or if you might have a better item to choose from instead. Keep in mind I don't have that many items to choose from the configured list, as the company guarantees that the parts I can pick will work together. I will ask and see if I can add my own outside of the list if they see there isn't any compatibility issue.

The parts so far (excluded the monitor which I will find later and the keyboard/mouse which he will pick)

Thank you for reading!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i5-12600KF 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($259.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: *NZXT Kraken X53 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($123.99 @ GameStop)
Motherboard: *Asus TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($220.27 @ MemoryC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($73.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston NV1 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: PNY GeForce RTX 3080 12GB LHR 12 GB XLR8 Gaming REVEL EPIC-X RGB Video Card ($739.99 @ B&H)
Case: *Phanteks Eclipse P500A ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *Corsair TX750M Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($195.29 @ Amazon)
Operating System: *Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($119.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $2023.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-11 09:09 EDT-0400

Here is the link for the site where I can buy the PC and how the PC looks from the get-go without my configuration. Feel free to look through the list by going to "add items".

Last edited:
Solution
@USAFRet Prebuilt is from komplett.no (Norway) https://www.komplett.no/configure/1...jonaer/komplett-i185-epic-gaming-pc#undefined

@Lafong Not really, it was just one from the list that I liked the most regarding price and consumer/other reviews. Do you have one to recommend?

Liquid coolers come with their own set of issues not found in air coolers....centered around maintenance/reliability/noise. Maybe you know about that and have taken it into account?

Your case is wide enough to accept virtually any air cooler.....up to 190 mm tall. Few if any are taller than that. Any of several premium level air coolers will cool that combination of parts....Noctua D15 for one.

But...

Frindis

Reputable
Nov 29, 2020
Thank you for chiming in guys:

@USAFRet Prebuilt is from komplett.no (Norway) https://www.komplett.no/configure/1...jonaer/komplett-i185-epic-gaming-pc#undefined

The link is how it looks from the get-go without my configurations. There is an "add items" where you can choose from different upgrades which is what I did.

@Lafong Not really, it was just one from the list that I liked the most regarding price and based on consumer/other reviews. Do you have a specific one to recommend?

Last edited:

@Lafong Not really, it was just one from the list that I liked the most regarding price and consumer/other reviews. Do you have one to recommend?

Liquid coolers come with their own set of issues not found in air coolers....centered around maintenance/reliability/noise. Maybe you know about that and have taken it into account?

Your case is wide enough to accept virtually any air cooler.....up to 190 mm tall. Few if any are taller than that. Any of several premium level air coolers will cool that combination of parts....Noctua D15 for one.

But if you or nephew have reasons you nonetheless want liquid, go ahead. I think some people like liquid for the machinery aspect alone...rather than an air cooler that just sits there.

Look around for a Corsair power supply that begins with RM and ends with an x.

Such as

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ply-Units-Advanced/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020179-NA

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-RM750x-Certified-Modular-Supply/dp/B079HGN5QS

Or maybe a Super Flower Leadex or a Seasonic.

In the 750 or 850 watt area.

That pre-built appears to be about 2000 US dollars.

Reactions: Frindis
Solution
Thank you for chiming in guys:

I don't read the Norwegian language, but I could not find a way to select an air cooler on that pre-built configuration page.

I did see an Corsair RM850x and a Seasonic Focus....both about an extra 1000 Norwegian Krone.....aka 100 dollars. Semi-outrageous surcharge if I read correctly. Maybe not?

Frindis

Reputable
Nov 29, 2020
I'm using a Corsair H100x Liquid CPU myself and I don't find it to generate much noise, as it also seems to be for the one I have looked at. As for the cleaning part, I have not read much on that, but from the little, I have read it really isn't that much of a problem. If it is sealed properly, dusting is probably enough for normal use. These computers also come with a 3yo warranty, which means that you are not supposed to be doing much maintenance outside of regular dusting in that time period.

I will take a look at that one, thank you. I'll also call up the company and let them chime in when it comes to the maintenance part you mentioned and if they would also recommend an air cooler for someone new to computers.

Look around for a Corsair power supply that begins with RM and ends with an x. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ply-Units-Advanced/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020179-NA

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-RM750x-Certified-Modular-Supply/dp/B079HGN5QS Or maybe a Super Flower Leadex or a Seasonic. In the 750 or 850-watt area.
Much obliged. As for the semi-outrageous surcharge, it goes back to us in stuff like free health care, public schools, military, etc.

Last edited:
Some thoughts on your parts:

12600KF is an excellent gaming pick. I would consider paying some $25 more to have integrated graphics available in the event of a graphics card problem.

AIO coolers do not last forever. In time air intrudes and pumps fail.
A strong air cooler like the noctua NH-D15s will cool equally well,be cheaper, more reliable, quieter and will never leak.

Unless you like RGB "bling" the same spec vengeance lpx ram should be cheaper.

750w is nominally ok for a 3080 card.
But the 3000 series cards can have higher power spikes and more like 850w is recommended.

Frindis

Reputable
Nov 29, 2020
@geofelt Thank you for the input. Seems the majority are advising investing in an Air Cooler, so I'll be going for that. I see that the site got the cooler you two are mentioning, so hopefully, they can install that one.

I'll look into a stronger power supply. I would not want that to be a possible bottleneck.

@geofelt Thank you for the input. Seems the majority are advising investing in an Air Cooler, so I'll be going for that. I see that the site got the cooler you two are mentioning, so hopefully, they can install that one.

I'll look into a stronger power supply. I would not want that to be a possible bottleneck.
I am suggesting the NH-D15S, not the NH-D15.
The NH-D15 will impact your ram which is some 44mm high; the NH-D15s is a high compatibility version that clears tall ram.

Jul 26, 2022
If 2k is still under your budget
and
the main purpose of your build is gaming
my advice would be
going to the maximum affordable
  • GPU
  • PSU ( in terms of watts and amperes)
1000W PSU is not much redundant in case of Adler Lake and string GPU