Question Advice: Lenovo Legion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2022
Hi folks,

i’ve been patiently waiting for around a year looking at different laptops, and also sorting out my budget.

All my research points to the Lenovo Legion laptop, as being the best bang for buck.

Looking to get the RTX 3070 as the performance gains with the RTX 3080 are negligible. And certainly not worth the extra cash.

Im currently thinking either this….

i’m considering the Intel CPU over the AMD due to the performance gains you get in most games. As I generally play on the laptop as kind of a desktop replacement, I play plugged in most of the time unless I’m just doing casual web browsing. So the Intel CPU seems worth paying a little bit extra for.

Lenovo Legion 5 Intel Core i7 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Nvidia RTX 3070 15.6" 165Hz Gaming Laptop

£1399

https://www.box.co.uk/82JH001GUK-Lenovo-Legion-5-Intel-Core-i7-16GB-RAM-5_3638075.html

Or this….

Lenovo Legion 7 (2021) Intel Core i7 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Nvidia RTX 3070 16.1" QHD 165Hz Gaming Laptop

£1699

https://www.box.co.uk/82K60011UK-Lenovo-Legion-7-(2021)-Intel-Core-i7-16G_3777044.html

But is it worth paying 200+ extra for a better screen, and 1TB of memory? And possibly, although from what I’ve seen this is debatable, the Legion 7 is a slightly better build than the Legion 5…….?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Or any alternative recommendations would be interesting.

I was originally holding out for the new 2022 Legion range. But I think they’re gonna be certainly over a £2000 at the very least, with the new RTX 3070/80 Ti GPU and DDR5 RAM.
I think if you could pick up one of the new Legion versions for less than £2000 then they’re worth waiting for.

Or waiting for them to come out might then push prices down for the older versions…?

However, to be perfectly honest I’m actually getting quite impatient now. And I want to now get the laptop.

Any advice on these would be appreciated.

I’m in the UK
Laptop used for gaming
I’m not bothered about memory cards, or WebCams, or sound quality.

My Budget / £1500-1600 aprox
Screen / 15.6” - 17”
Open to any brands really.
My main focus is CPU and GPU. Beyond that you can upgrade with memory and further SSD
I don’t want memory soldered to the motherboard.

Last edited:

Nuwan Fernando

Distinguished
I bought a Lenovo Legion 5 15ITH6h Laptop couple of months back. It is the same config with 3060 GPU. It's one of the best laptops I have ever used. It gave me 80 plus FPS in whatever the game I throw at it at ultra settings. The only complain is the keyboard. Some keys are stiff and hard to press. And the screen feels little dim. (even though it supports DolbyVision, it doesn't support HDR)

So, If you are planing to use the built in display, 500 nits will enable to use HDR. And a 3070 will be able to push the higher pixels in the QHD Resolution without problem.

Lutfij

Titan
I'd pick the slightly lower priced laptop if all you're ever going to do is gaming sans any content creation. You can upgrade the storage and ram in the future. If you stated content creation in your lists of tasks then I'd have suggested getting the higher priced laptop.

Feb 10, 2022
Ok… thanks guys.

I think I’m gonna go with the cheaper version.

Yeah only using it for gaming and web browsing or watching movies.

My old laptop was only 60Hz screen 1080p and that was fine. I also plug the laptop into my 4k TV when playing as well so, the screen is ultimately not the biggest deal.

Also — any thoughts on waiting for the Legion refresh versions ? Might prompt further sales? Or are they worth paying a bit extra for? Well assuming the AMD versions might be under £2000??

Maybe not….

If not I’m gonna pull the trigger on this bad boy — I’ve waited long enough.
looking forward to getting back into Total War Warhammer !

Feb 10, 2022
also —

There’s no soldered RAM with any of the LEGION’s is there? I can’t see anything that would suggest that.

and MAX RAM upgrade is 32GB?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022
So I just bought the NEW Legion 5i Pro 16

i7 12700H
RTX 3070ti
1TB SSD
16GB DDR5 RAM

£1700

which is pretty good given I was gonna get the Legion 7 for £1699

quite excited, because this is the new 2020 to refresh laptops.
Pretty poor marketing on the suckers though. You wouldn’t even know they’re out. And there’s no reviews for them.

Feb 10, 2022
Ended up being £1458

lenovo kindly applied a 10% e-coupon after I’d already purchased! As I had no idea about these coupons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS