Advice migrating a drive - clone or image?

zach.couasnon

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
I just finished building a new rig. I'm running a NVMe for my Win10 OS and also installed a Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD as my primary working drive. My documents, etc. are linked to this drive and I've also installed some applications on it as well. I underestimated my storage needs, so I acquired an additional 850 500GB drive. What I'd like to do is image or clone the current drive to my external storage device, put the two SSDs in raid 0, and then apply the clone or image to the new 1 TB array. Once that's done, I want to use the external device for an incremental backup of the raid array. I've got Acronis True Image. Can any one advise me on the best way to complete these tasks? I'm pretty sure I should use an image for the incremental backup but in regards to the raid array pre-work I'm not sure whether I should use an image or clone of the drive to preserve the data. I appreciate any insights, thanks!

Solution
Don't put those in a RAID 0. You gain 0 performance, and increase the complexity and fail potential.
Just have the additional 850 EVO as a 3rd drive, for whatever.

So instead of your current C and D, you'd have C, D, and E.

USAFRet

Titan
Don't put those in a RAID 0. You gain 0 performance, and increase the complexity and fail potential.
Just have the additional 850 EVO as a 3rd drive, for whatever.

So instead of your current C and D, you'd have C, D, and E.

Solution