[advice needed] 4k editing budget build

billownz

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
A friend of mine reached out regarding a 4k editing rig but has a budget of around $1200. He works almost exclusively with adobe premier, something in which I have no experience with.

From what I can tell, encoding is mostly CPU intensive so I went with Ryzen since it seems to have the best cost to performance ratio at the moment.

This is what I have come up with, leaving room for a proper monitor and whatever peripherals he needs.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2WNK4q

Thoughts? Can it be done better for cheaper?

Solution

I would go with the 1700 over the 1700x. The 1700 comes with a cooler and both will OC to the same speed. This will save you a little money.

I dont think I would go with a 450 watt PSU for a rig with a 1700...

I would go with the 1700 over the 1700x. The 1700 comes with a cooler and both will OC to the same speed. This will save you a little money.

I dont think I would go with a 450 watt PSU for a rig with a 1700. I think you should look at a 550 watt PSU.

For 4k editing, you are going to need a lot of storage. A 120gb SSD and a 1tb HDD wont get you very far at 4k.

I am not super familiar with Adobe Premier, but 32gb is a lot of RAM. There are not many applications that use that much RAM. So unless you are familiar with the application and know that it is RAM intensive, you may want to consider going with 16gb because it will save you a bunch of money.

The only other think I will say about the RAM is too make sure you get RAM on the motherboard QVL. Ryzen are great CPUs but there are not good when it comes to RAM compatibility. It can be a real pain.

Solution

billownz

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
For 4k editing, you are going to need a lot of storage. A 120gb SSD and a 1tb HDD wont get you very far at 4k.

Can premier or after effects write to a 7200 rpm without bottlenecking? The plan was to have the SSD for OS and maybe a few applications