[SOLVED] Advice needed for upgrading GPU and CPU

HungryHiker

Prominent
Nov 18, 2020
Hello, this is my first post and am definitely not savvy to this world but was hoping I could bend the ear of anyone who might be knowledgeable about this.

This post is solely about PC upgrades for gaming as that's all I use it for.
I don't do any online gaming, I just like to play RTS in what free time I have. (Total War junkie)
Anyways I was playing Bannerlord and am finding that even on low settings I am getting some low frame rates (I don't know the specific numbers) so I decided to run a diagnostic and found my GPU and CPU lacking, and with black Friday coming up I thought it time for an upgrade.

This is what I have:
Prebuild: Cyberpower et 8140
MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2
(I don't know my power source)
UserBenchmarks: Game 13%, Desk 64%, Work 10%
CPU: AMD FX-6300 - 62.4%
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560-B - 21.9%
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 77%
RAM: Unknown 1x8GB - 31.4%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2

On "Can You Run It" it says I can run Bannerlord on minimum requirements but for recommended it says I should upgrade my GPU to an AMD Ryzen 5 3600x and my CPU to an AMD Radeon RX 580, however if I'm gonna spend money I want to overshoot a little and make sure my setup will last a couple years.

Through a decent amount of research it sounds like I want to upgrade my GPU to an AMD Ryzen 5 5600x and my CPU to an AMD RX 5600 XT, which will give me more than I need to play my games. Each of those is roughly $300 and I would like to stay in that range.

What I want to know from you fine folks is if those two upgrades alone would see me through or if there is something else I should be looking to buy to make sure they work for me. Honestly I don't know much about components even though I've been playing PC games for a long time. I won't be offended if you dumb things down to a 3rd grade level. Sorry if this is in a god awful format. Cheers!

Solution
Well dang that's a bummer, but not totally surprising from what I've been seeing. Being pretty clueless to this stuff is there any resources I should check out to find the proper parts in order to make this work? I want to make sure I find the best combination to fit my needs. Thank you.
It's pretty simple really. It's kinda like a race car. The more money you spend the faster you can go. Plenty of guys around here to help you sort out a list. All you have to do is list your main and secondary(if any) purpose for the build, your budget, location and the monitor resolution and refresh rate you intend to use. The windows OS from your prebuilt won't be transferrable to a new system so include the price for that in your budget...
Hello, this is my first post and am definitely not savvy to this world but was hoping I could bend the ear of anyone who might be knowledgeable about this.

This post is solely about PC upgrades for gaming as that's all I use it for.
I don't do any online gaming, I just like to play RTS in what free time I have. (Total War junkie)
Anyways I was playing Bannerlord and am finding that even on low settings I am getting some low frame rates (I don't know the specific numbers) so I decided to run a diagnostic and found my GPU and CPU lacking, and with black Friday coming up I thought it time for an upgrade.

This is what I have:
Prebuild: Cyberpower et 8140
MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2
(I don't know my power source)
UserBenchmarks: Game 13%, Desk 64%, Work 10%
CPU: AMD FX-6300 - 62.4%
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560-B - 21.9%
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 77%
RAM: Unknown 1x8GB - 31.4%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2

On "Can You Run It" it says I can run Bannerlord on minimum requirements but for recommended it says I should upgrade my GPU to an AMD Ryzen 5 3600x and my CPU to an AMD Radeon RX 580, however if I'm gonna spend money I want to overshoot a little and make sure my setup will last a couple years.

Through a decent amount of research it sounds like I want to upgrade my GPU to an AMD Ryzen 5 5600x and my CPU to an AMD RX 5600 XT, which will give me more than I need to play my games. Each of those is roughly $300 and I would like to stay in that range.

What I want to know from you fine folks is if those two upgrades alone would see me through or if there is something else I should be looking to buy to make sure they work for me. Honestly I don't know much about components even though I've been playing PC games for a long time. I won't be offended if you dumb things down to a 3rd grade level. Sorry if this is in a god awful format. Cheers!
Your system is long past time to be upgraded. There's really nothing useable in it at this point. The new parts you mentioned will require a new motherboard, memory, power supply, newer faster storage and most likely a new chassis that can support the airflow you'll need for a new system. Pretty much everything.

HungryHiker

Prominent
Nov 18, 2020
Your system is long past time to be upgraded. There's really nothing useable in it at this point. The new parts you mentioned will require a new motherboard, memory, power supply, newer faster storage and most likely a new chassis that can support the airflow you'll need for a new system. Pretty much everything.

Well dang that's a bummer, but not totally surprising from what I've been seeing. Being pretty clueless to this stuff is there any resources I should check out to find the proper parts in order to make this work? I want to make sure I find the best combination to fit my needs. Thank you.

It's pretty simple really. It's kinda like a race car. The more money you spend the faster you can go. Plenty of guys around here to help you sort out a list. All you have to do is list your main and secondary(if any) purpose for the build, your budget, location and the monitor resolution and refresh rate you intend to use. The windows OS from your prebuilt won't be transferrable to a new system so include the price for that in your budget, around $100 USD.

Solution

HungryHiker

Prominent
Nov 18, 2020
It's pretty simple really. It's kinda like a race car. The more money you spend the faster you can go. Plenty of guys around here to help you sort out a list. All you have to do is list your main and secondary(if any) purpose for the build, your budget, location and the monitor resolution and refresh rate you intend to use. The windows OS from your prebuilt won't be transferrable to a new system so include the price for that in your budget, around $100 USD.

That's very helpful, thank you. Is that something I can just post in this thread or do I need to create a new one somewhere else?

That's very helpful, thank you. Is that something I can just post in this thread or do I need to create a new one somewhere else?
If you're looking to build it yourself you can do that in this 'systems" forum with a new thread. Read this on 'how to ask....'

If you are just looking to buy another prebuilt there's a forum for that too. You'll pretty much just be asking what the best prebuilt is that's available in your budget for the uses you describe, gaming, office etc...

HungryHiker

Prominent
Nov 18, 2020
If you're looking to build it yourself you can do that in this 'systems" forum with a new thread. Read this on 'how to ask....'

If you are just looking to buy another prebuilt there's a forum for that too.
I guess if I have to replace all the components anyways I could look at another pre-built. The idea of trying to build my own does seem like it could be fun but having never done it the idea of spending $1000+ on parts only to potentially muck it up definitely makes me nervous. Is that something I should be worried about or is it fairly straight forward?

I guess if I have to replace all the components anyways I could look at another pre-built. The idea of trying to build my own does seem like it could be fun but having never done it the idea of spending $1000+ on parts only to potentially muck it up definitely makes me nervous. Is that something I should be worried about or is it fairly straight forward?
It's not that it's hard, some people just don't have the aptitude for it and are better off buying a prebuilt. Others, who are willing to spend the time to learn and do it right are rewarded with a new system and an accomplishment they can be proud of. There's tons of youtube videos and guides here at Tom's so there's certainly no lack of resources and you have plenty of people here who are more than willing to answer questions and help as much as they can. The choice is yours.

HungryHiker

Prominent
Nov 18, 2020
It's not that it's hard, some people just don't have the aptitude for it and are better off buying a prebuilt. Others, who are willing to spend the time to learn and do it right are rewarded with a new system and an accomplishment they can be proud of. There's tons of youtube videos and guides here at Tom's so there's certainly no lack of resources and you have plenty of people here who are more than willing to answer questions and help as much as they can. The choice is yours.
Awesome thank you, I really appreciate the help. I'm pretty handy in other areas so maybe I'll try to expand my knowledge base and give it a whirl.