[SOLVED] Advice needed. GPU 1070 Fried

Feb 23, 2021
I'd love some advice on a path forward.

[Moderator edit to break up "wall of text".]

My Acer Aspire GX 281- Ur14 crashed while playing Rust. Just a complete shutdown, so I did the smell test and could smell the burnt electronics. I assumed my PSU (original 500w) seemed the culprit so I replaced with a EVGA 600 W.

Then when that failed to restart the PC, I notice the GPU GTX 1070 had a burnt component.

I'm at a crossroads considering the GPU availability currently and wondered what my best options are.

I'm wanting to get this PC back operational within the next few weeks if not sooner, or replace with a new tower considering the age and ease of getting a new AVAILABLE GPU in a more recent prebuild.

Problem is I'm an unemployed live sound engineer and would prefer to just replace the GPU with a modest increase in 1070 standards and wait to pay for a replacement cpu/tower at a later date.

I've been considering the rtx 20 series since I'd hoped they'll become available post Friday but that seems like a stretch as well. I'd prefer to buy a new GPU since I'd hate some mined out GPU that has a short lifespan.

I'm also unclear if I can risk just installing a new GPU and insuring that it won't also fry since I'm not sure the original cause of failure. I'm hoping I'm in the clear since I replaced the PSU and a new GPU would probably not get fried from a hypothetical damaged MOBO but correct me if wrong.

I'm also assuming, in my lack of expertise, that all modern cards that adhere to PCI-E 3 standards would work with my current MOBO/Setup. Also since I upgraded from 500w PSU to 600w PSU, I assume I could install a GPU card with a 12pin connector as well as 8 pin connector?

Another thought process I had was that I could purchase a new prebuilt tower with a decent modern GPU and install the new GPU into the old tower, so I can access my files and attempt to port over from the old PC to the new PC without many issues.

Good idea or would that be problematic. I'd love to hear what someone else thinks so I can get out of my own head:)

Acer Aspire Gx 281-Ur14
AMD 8 core Ryzen 7 1700x
GTX 1070 GPU fried
New EVGA 600w PSU
16gigs RAM
onboard 256gig SSD and 2tb separate HDD

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Yeah it's gonna be tough getting a new GPU in this market. Buying pre-builts just to get the GPU is an idea others have had and it's not always the best since these PC building companies usually overprice their builds anyway. So you may still be essentially paying that premium. If you really need to get back up and running soon then you'll have no choice but to buy either used, overpriced/scalped, get lucky and buy it MSRP from retailers.

As for what caused the short, it depends on what part of the GPU got burnt, but the issue is most likely isolated to the GPU. If the culprit was your old PSU then more than just the GPU might've been damaged.
Yeah it's gonna be tough getting a new GPU in this market. Buying pre-builts just to get the GPU is an idea others have had and it's not always the best since these PC building companies usually overprice their builds anyway. So you may still be essentially paying that premium. If you really need to get back up and running soon then you'll have no choice but to buy either used, overpriced/scalped, get lucky and buy it MSRP from retailers.

As for what caused the short, it depends on what part of the GPU got burnt, but the issue is most likely isolated to the GPU. If the culprit was your old PSU then more than just the GPU might've been damaged.

Solution
Feb 23, 2021
Thanks all. Would installing a new card be difficult if I purchase a prebuilt with an intel CPU? Ie would card be setup with drivers that make it adhere to CPU language or would I easily be able to swap out the burnt card with a replacement from a prebuild.