Advice Needed: GPU or CPU Upgrade?

Hado

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
So I'm currently rocking an i7 4790K with an 980 Ti alongside 16GB DDR3 Ram
I've got some cash saved up for an upgrade and am not sure what to do.
I could either keep everything the same and upgrade to an 1080 TI. Or Upgrade my motherboard. Get a i7 7700K and upgrade to DDR4 RAM. and then wait some more time, find another 980 Ti and go SLI. I'm really stuck on what I should do and was hoping I could get a good set of advice from the community.

Any suggestions are hugely appreciated!

Have a great day all

Solution
Well for gaming I would get the 1080 ti, sli support is often not implemented well or not implemented at all in many newer games and it looks like that trend will only continue. Noty to mention it would consume A LOT more power than a single 1080 ti.

The 4790k is still a very capable cpu, it should not bottleneck a 1080 ti in a significant way in any game that I am aware of at say 1080p+. I would wait for cannon lake or beyond before you consider a cpu upgrade for gaming.

What monitor are you using?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well for gaming I would get the 1080 ti, sli support is often not implemented well or not implemented at all in many newer games and it looks like that trend will only continue. Noty to mention it would consume A LOT more power than a single 1080 ti.

The 4790k is still a very capable cpu, it should not bottleneck a 1080 ti in a significant way in any game that I am aware of at say 1080p+. I would wait for cannon lake or beyond before you consider a cpu upgrade for gaming.

What monitor are you using?

Solution