Question Advice needed - is an i5 8400, 256 ssd + 1 tb hdd, 16 gb a good system in 2019?

May 1, 2019
This desktop will be for a student - research online, Microsoft WORD (non gaming). Also, Netflix and apps for e-books. And will add Photoshop and writing software (Scrivener) in the future.
Was wondering if I should upgrade to the i7? And whether I need different specs. Also, the graphics card is a NVIDIA GTX 1050 ti.
Thanks.

Last edited:

liamwhalley20

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
Even better yes 16gb of ram is definitely a must have nowadays, but that is with gaming and other high intensity applications, so in short yes that is a very capable system for what you're intending to use it for, system will most likely sit twiddling its thumbs most of the time :')

May 1, 2019
I have never played a game on a pc (just used a playstation + TV). Have no clue about it and probably won't have the time. I guess this system can also handle gaming so that's a good option in case someone else wanted to use it for gaming in the future. I'm just looking for a stable/efficient system that I can write essays on. :)

If your monitor is 60 Hz, the Ryzen 5's might be a better option since you are also looking for future-proofing. Wait for Ryzen 3000, it's offerings are too good to not wait for.

Edit: saw the recent reply, the i5 8400 is just as good an option if all you want to do is write essays. Why are you buying a powerful GPU then?

Reactions: Ali Husain
Thanks for your response.
Ryzen 5? I have no clue other than what Dell offered (my last pc was Dell). I need this pc in a few weeks.
Ryzen 5 is an AMD processor, Intel's primary(and only) competitor in desktop CPU industry. Ryzen 3000 launches in 5-6 weeks, but like I said if all you're doing is writing essays it won't make a difference, even an i3 is enough for that.

Reactions: liamwhalley20

YT-CTECH

Great
May 5, 2019
www.youtube.com
This desktop will be for a student - research online, Microsoft WORD (no gaming). Also, Netflix and apps for e-books.
Was wondering if I should upgrade to the i7? And whether I need different specs. Also, the graphics card is a NVIDIA GTX 1050 ti
Thanks.
for simple computing, you could use a 6th gen i5, but for 60fps gaming on mid settings the 8400 should achieve! it has aboost clock speed of 4ghz on all six cores!! itll be perfect for any use that's not too demanding!! thanks

May 1, 2019
If your monitor is 60 Hz, the Ryzen 5's might be a better option since you are also looking for future-proofing. Wait for Ryzen 3000, it's offerings are too good to not wait for.

Edit: saw the recent reply, the i5 8400 is just as good an option if all you want to do is write essays. Why are you buying a powerful GPU then?
I was told that since I wanted to add PhotoShop in the future (for coursework) I may need higher specs.