Question Advice needed - is an i5 8400, 256 ssd + 1 tb hdd, 16 gb a good system in 2019?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 1, 2019
This desktop will be for a student - research online, Microsoft WORD (non gaming). Also, Netflix and apps for e-books. And will add Photoshop and writing software (Scrivener) in the future.
Was wondering if I should upgrade to the i7? And whether I need different specs. Also, the graphics card is a NVIDIA GTX 1050 ti.
Thanks.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019
Actually, if you want to do PhotoShop, then sticking to Intel is better because Photoshop primarily relies on single thread perfomrance and RAM performance, which currently Intel pulls off better.
Sounds good. Do you have any idea about Scrivener or should that program run well on this system as well?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
For what you are talking about doing you really don't particularly need the GPU at all. In short, the system you are spec'ing will be great for your use case.

I recently build an i5 8400 for an office build. Cost was around $500 and is likely one of the most cost effective builds for use I have ever done. Been very happy with it.

Reactions: DMAN999
This desktop will be for a student - research online, Microsoft WORD (no gaming). Also, Netflix and apps for e-books. And will add PhotoShop and writing software (Scrivener) in the future.
Was wondering if I should upgrade to the i7? And whether I need different specs. Also, the graphics card is a NVIDIA GTX 1050 ti
Thanks.

Your fine with what you have now.

Reactions: TheSwann
May 4, 2019
If you Have lower budget the sure go for it you said you don't wana play games on it but you can play if you want not at high settings but low and mediam settings you can play

Reactions: BringerOfTea

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
Your original topic header, would the core i5 8400, 256 GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 16GB RAM and 1050 Ti good enough for non gaming purposes in 2019 ? Answer is , Yes, pretty good enough. Since your retailer don't have Ryzen or you don't know about it, well, no need to venture there I suppose. Go with the build, and get a large decent monitor since you mentioned Netflix and Photoshop.

May 1, 2019
Yes it's fine. No, you don't need a 1060.
I went to a store and told a rep. about the pc specs. Person said that a 4k doesn't make sense for my pc needs. Recommended:
  1. ASUS VA249HE 23.8” Full HD 1080p HDMI VGA
  2. ASUS VC239H Ultra-low Blue Light Monitor - 23" FHD (1920x1080), IPS
Said that 27" doesn't work well with FHD which I thought was weird but I've been doing research and I guess around 24" is still good. My parents have an iMac 4k and I got used to the visuals and it looks way better than my current older Dell monitor.
Any general thoughts on these models? I do not know about ASUS (and I'll keep doing research) but rep. said that there's a good warranty with that brand.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019
Your original topic header, would the core i5 8400, 256 GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 16GB RAM and 1050 Ti good enough for non gaming purposes in 2019 ? Answer is , Yes, pretty good enough. Since your retailer don't have Ryzen or you don't know about it, well, no need to venture there I suppose. Go with the build, and get a large decent monitor since you mentioned Netflix and Photoshop.
Thanks! And yes, I have decided to stick with these specs.

May 1, 2019
For what you are talking about doing you really don't particularly need the GPU at all. In short, the system you are spec'ing will be great for your use case.

I recently build an i5 8400 for an office build. Cost was around $500 and is likely one of the most cost effective builds for use I have ever done. Been very happy with it.
Thanks. Good to know you've used an i5 8400 and there are no issues.

VIVO-US

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017
We use i5-8400 CPUs in almost all of our newer computers for photo and video editing as well as customer service. They've all been able to handle everything we throw at them with no problems whatsoever, from heavy processing of HD video or CAD modeling (with appropriate GPU of course) to having about 50 different browser tabs open at once. It's a great CPU, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's still decently fast 5 or even 10 years from now.

Reactions: TheSwann

TRENDING THREADS