[SOLVED] Advice needed on gaming pc build

Nov 29, 2018
Advice needed on gaming pc build:

Usage: 1440p @ 60fps RPG/Adventure/Action gaming with medium high in the short term, medium in the long term. Not playing FPS, Not going to overclock. Prefer to spend a bit more now for future proof for 4-5 years rather than having to upgrade one by one in 2-3 years

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
GPU: AMD Vega 56
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000Mhz
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomhawk
Cooler: Cyorig H7
M.2 SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO for OS
HDD: 1TB Seagate
PSU: 650W gold (BitFenix Whisper M Series )
Monitor: Samsung s24H850 (1440p with AMD freesync up to 75hz)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX

This is about to reaching my limit of budget. So probably don't have any space for dramatic upgrade (like changing to RTX 2080 ...)

Any suggestions welcomed.

Particularly:
1. Is there any better choice on case in terms of value?
2. Do i need liquid cooler?
3. Can i downgrade to 550W PSU?
4. Will B450 limiting the performance of either the CPU or GPU

Thanks

Solution

1. Since you're air cooling your CPU. Yes there is. The Fractal Design Meshify C is one of the best for air-cooled builds. But to be fair, the Enthoo Evolv looks damn cool and still a very good case.

2. If you're not overclocking: No. Actually the stock cooler that comes with the 2600X is just as good as the H7 if you're not overclocking. You can always start with the stock cooler and then upgrade it in the future if you still want to think about whether you want to upgrade or not.

3. Yes u can safely downgrade to 5500W. But I'd keep it at 650W. Always good to be have some leeway in case you upgrade.

4. No it doesn't. Motherboards don't limit CPU performance or GPU performance. All CPUs will perform the exact same across an A320, B350/450, X370/470 as long as we're not talking about overclocking (because different boards will provide different overclocking stability). The only REAL difference is that B350/450 allows overclocking and the X370/470 allows both overclocking and SLI. Your choice of the B450 Tomahawk is a very good choice, even if you decide you want to overclock down the line. I would stick with it.

Your build looks pretty solid. I wouldn't change a thing (even if I'm not a big fan of the Vega 56 and would rather get a 1070Ti but I'm assuming you have a Freesync monitor). Maybe 3200Mhz RAM while you're at it since that's the maximum Ryzen can support right now, but more of a luxury than anything else.

Solution
Nov 29, 2018

Thanks very much.

For the case i am considering R5, but not sure if that case is ok for gaming, as it is a silent focus case

on the power supply you dont need a gold units. look at the seasonic focus units. bronze units vs gold is the gold is little bit more power savings over bronze. you may want to wait a few weeks before ordering the parts.there are leaks of the next 3000 ser ryzen all over the net. the 3600 looks to be only 30.00 more whe nit drops then the older 2600x that it replacing. if you have a local micro center look at there combo deals.

Nov 29, 2018

Wouldn't here be a temprature problem for gaming? As its cooling is a bit weak compare than non-silent case

The different is actually not that staggering. Probably a 5 degree difference at the very most. If you want to prioritize it's design and prioritize silence, it's still a good choice. Alternatively, you can get the Meshify C.

TRENDING THREADS