Advice Needed on Laptop CPU and GPU

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I plan to replace my current desktop gaming PC. I have had it for almost 7 years and have not been able to replace it for the last couple of years due to the recent CPU and GPU shortage. I would like to get my current gaming PC replaced before some vital component fails on me. After seeing the announcements for only Nvidia and AMD's top end RTX 4000 and RX 7000 GPU's and the uncertainty of when both companies will release newer mid-range GPUs, I am considering as an interim solution getting a base or mid-range gaming laptop or gaming capable laptop for around $1000 (dependent on what deals are offered by retailers and laptop manufacturers on Black Friday and Cyber Monday). I don't expect absolute crazy performances, but I would expect the laptop to handle gaming far better than my current desktop setup. I would like for it to handle modern games well at at least 1080p, but prefer 1440p. In addition to gaming, after I get a replacement desktop gaming PC, I plan to repurpose the laptop for basic drone video editing (not Hollywood level type video editing) and possibly for travel use. I am also considering buying a dual monitor setup using two 1440p monitors and new PC gaming peripherals such as the keyboard, keypad, MMO and FPS mice, and headsets, but will transfer them to the replacement desktop gaming PC once I get one ordered or built. This is the link for the laptop that I am considering (Victus by HP Laptop 15z-fb000 ). This may not be the laptop I end up choosing, but my questions are as followed:

1. My understanding is that AMD CPUs have been performing better than Intel CPUs for the last couple of years, unless you recommend a specific Intel CPU instead, would I be better off with a six-core or eight-core AMD CPU such as the AMD Ryzen 5 5600H or AMD Ryzen 7 5800H?

2. For the GPU, would I be better off with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650, AMD Radeon RX 6500M, Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050, or Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050 Ti?

3. Would 16 GB of RAM be enough for my mentioned intended uses?

4. I know the laptop display is only listed as 1080p, but would any of the CPU and GPU combination options listed in the website customization menu be capable of handling 1440p or would I have to downgrade the display resolution on my monitor to 1080p? I plan to connect one, possibly both 1440p monitors to the laptop either directly or through an adaptor kit if necessary, but will likely use only one monitor when gaming. I appreciate any input you may have on the display resolutions and number of monitors I may use with this laptop or any other recommended laptop.

5. Are there any other gaming laptop or gaming-capable laptop brands and/or CPU and GPU combinations that you would recommend for around the the mentioned $1000 price range?

Thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
1| Yes they have, they are also hot headed, meaning that now their ceiling for max temps have gone up compared to the previous generation of processors that were more, power efficient. Just be prepared to have a warm exhaust from the laptop, it's normal.

2| I'd pick the RTX3050Ti considering it's a step above the 1650.

3| Should be plenty, in spite of multitasking(multiple tabs on browser and gaming).

4| Make and model of the 1440p panel?

5| Lenovo's Legion range, Asus's ROG/Strix, MSI have a range as does Gigabyte's Aorus lineup.

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
4| Make and model of the 1440p panel?

I haven't made a final decision yet on a 1440p display. I am looking at the possibility of buying two 27-inch, possibly 32-inch 1440p gaming PC monitors or other appropriate monitors capable of handling PC gaming. I will look up and see what are the most commonly recommended brands for this year such as Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Acer, AOC, BenQ, etc. I will pick the display(s) from the recommended brand that offers the best price. I also plan to go with a G-Sync-compatible Freesync monitor that works with both Nvidia and Radeon GPUs. I would appreciate any recommendations on good and reliable gaming PC monitors or other gaming capable monitors that are G-sync compatible Freesync displays and have 1440p display resolution.

Also, should I go with an AMD six-core or eight-core CPU or an Intel CPU for the gaming laptop?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the laptop has a 1080p monitor because that is what those gpu models can handle.

you're not going to run very well at 1440p with a 3050 or similar card at all. laptop gpu's are not as strong as their desktop versions and they can't do 1440p very well either. you'll need to adjust your expectations and/or budget to do what you are thinking.

TRENDING THREADS