[SOLVED] Advice needed on OS and drive cloning ?

In theory, I don't see how this would be a problem since cloning should simply be reading the data as-is, doing a binary copy from one disk to another so that to the computer, they look like they have the same exact contents.

The only requirement I believe is you can't be booted into the source disk. That is, you can't clone your OS drive while you're using the OS that's on it, due to the OS needing to constantly do something with that drive.

In theory, I don't see how this would be a problem since cloning should simply be reading the data as-is, doing a binary copy from one disk to another so that to the computer, they look like they have the same exact contents.

The only requirement I believe is you can't be booted into the source disk. That is, you can't clone your OS drive while you're using the OS that's on it, due to the OS needing to constantly do something with that drive.

DREDKNOT_2077

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017

i get it thanks

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Actually, in the Windows world, Macrium Reflect does exactly this.

I thought it was impossible, until I saw it do it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY