Advice Needed on Upgrade From FX 8320

BadAstronaut

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
Hey everyone! I built my first PC almost 4 years ago and after purchasing a GTX 1060 about a year ago, it is time for me to upgrade the rest of my PC, but most importantly this CPU. I want to go with Intel, and I know I'll need a new Motherboard and Ram, but I would also like to purchase a new case and power supply for the following reasons.

1. I don't like the airflow of my current case, and the top of the case is actually a little loose. This is my current case: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147183
2. My PSU is a non-modular one, and I found it exremely difficult to have neat cable management when I built this PC. It's a bit of a mess on the inside, which is one reason why I want to buy a fully modular PSU. This is my current PSU: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

Gaming

If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, framerate, game settings)

1080p, 60FPS, high(est)? settings

What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

$800-$1000 CAD max

In what country are you purchasing your parts?

Canada

Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please).

Current Build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/BadAstronaut/saved/ktCccf
Upgraded Build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/BadAstronaut/saved/rVs999

Provide any additional details you wish below.

To clear any confusion, I would like to replace my current hardware with the following hardware listed below, as shown in the "Upgraded Build" list.

CPU: i7-8700k
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler
MOBO: ASUS - Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming
Ram: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB DDR4-3000 MHz
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified
Case: Cooler Master- Master Case Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower

The issue is, these parts combined are way above budget, and I'm sure I am picking items that are just way too expensive for my needs. An acquaintance recommended the i7-8700k with that CPU liquid cooler, telling me that this PC will last me an incredibly long time if I get the newest CPU and pair it with liquid cooling.

However true this may be, I am on a budget, and maybe I can get cheaper or older parts that can still last me a very long time while suiting my needs. So I began to question nearly all my decisions.

• For example, would it be realistic to purchase an i5-7600k and save $200 on the CPU, and still run high end games on high settings with 60 FPS?
• Are there cheaper but still reliable Liquid CPU coolers?
• Is the MOBO overkill? If so, what motherboard should I get (one preferably with onboard WiFi)?
• How about the PSU wattage? According to PCpartpicker, it's way more than I need.

I hope this post is clear enough, I apologize if it isn't. I would really appreciate it if you can recommend me cheaper parts that will still last long and suit my gaming needs. Please let me know from the list of parts I am considering purchasing, what I should get instead and what I should keep.

Thank you for taking the time to read and help me out.

-BadAstronaut

Solution
If temporarily going for a quadcore to upgrade would i rather use the i3 8100 and leave it at that. Otherwise is the i5 8400 (6core) also a very decent choice.
Don't think that either choice you mentioned will bottleneck the gpu you have,the ones i mentioned neither as well.Might be that with games that are really cpu intensive the Ryzen or i5 8400 will get better results.
You also could get a decent aircooler and save some money there.With the Ryzen would the stock cooler already do nice,but a better cooler would be needed if wanting to overclock to ~4ghz (if getting there).
With a decent aircooler could you maybe get the i5 8600K (also 6core) and still be at your desired budget. (which is maximally?)
If not going for a dual gpu system...

BadAstronaut

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
I've had two users on reddit tell me I should go for an AMD Ryzen 5 1600 instead of the i5-7600k, even though on user benchmarks I see a greater increase in processing power in terms of gaming and desktop on the i5 7600k compared to the Ryzen 5 1600.

What do you guys think about this? And what else should I change in my list of wanted upgrades?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
If temporarily going for a quadcore to upgrade would i rather use the i3 8100 and leave it at that. Otherwise is the i5 8400 (6core) also a very decent choice.
Don't think that either choice you mentioned will bottleneck the gpu you have,the ones i mentioned neither as well.Might be that with games that are really cpu intensive the Ryzen or i5 8400 will get better results.
You also could get a decent aircooler and save some money there.With the Ryzen would the stock cooler already do nice,but a better cooler would be needed if wanting to overclock to ~4ghz (if getting there).
With a decent aircooler could you maybe get the i5 8600K (also 6core) and still be at your desired budget. (which is maximally?)
If not going for a dual gpu system would you need no more than a 650watt psu which could save some money,say 650watt with a gtx 1080 ti in mind. With lower spec gpu's would a quality 550watt already be enough.

Solution