Question advice needed on upgrade problem

Baz Robins

Honorable
Dec 27, 2014
HP Pavilion HPE Series (2011)
Intel Core i7@3,4ghz
h8 -1070UK
6 pin power for card , 460 watt power unit.

Hi
I presently have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 card and want an upgrade.
Tried a Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 PH-GTX1050TI-4G but machine freezes on start up (??) no output from the card.
I'd like something similar in price/performance. Any suggestions?
The machine is old but still does almost
everything I want.

thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Considering that the PSU is 9 years old and had been taxed, I'm assuming either the PSU is incapable of delivering the necessary power to the entire system with a GTX1050Ti in there or the GPU doesn't like your motherboard's BIOS. Is your platform on the latest BIOS update?

Also, did you remove the previous GPU's drivers prior to removing the GTX660 in your system(and replacing it with the GTX1050Ti)?

Baz Robins

Honorable
Dec 27, 2014
Considering that the PSU is 9 years old and had been taxed, I'm assuming either the PSU is incapable of delivering the necessary power to the entire system with a GTX1050Ti in there or the GPU doesn't like your motherboard's BIOS. Is your platform on the latest BIOS update?

Also, did you remove the previous GPU's drivers prior to removing the GTX660 in your system(and replacing it with the GTX1050Ti)?
Thanks for your reply. I actually had my regular IT guy try it when he was doing a full system reinstallation (OS). He said there was just no output from the new card. Not sure if he uninstalled the old drivers. I did think power might be an issue but the new card specifically says it doesn't need a power upgrade - it doesn't even need the 6 pin cable.
I guess the issue is probably to do with the age of the machine.

TRENDING THREADS