[SOLVED] Advice needed: Upgrade on a £250 budget

Apr 8, 2022
Hello,

Desktop PC owner with very limited knowledge looking for some advice.

My PC stopped starting up yesterday, and after a bit of messing around, it seems as though one of the Memory slots on my Board was causing the issue.

The board and CPU are both old (bought in 2015).

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 3.20GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Socket 1150
Ram: 12gb
SSD/HDD: Crucial 512gb SSD, 500gb HDD
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 430
PSU: OCZ500s
Chassis: Coolermaster
Monitor: 2x Samsung

I hoped to change the motherboard, but I think it's too old to get a replacement.

I don't game, I use the PC for work and trading. I am constantly running multiple tabs on my browser across two screens.

With all that in mind, what would be your recommendation for a new CPU/Motherboard bundle with a budget of £200-£250.

Last edited:
Solution
Hello,

My PC stopped starting up yesterday, and after a bit of messing around, it seems as though one of the Memory slots on my Board was causing the issue.

They are:
  • Intel Core i5 4460 3.20GHz
  • Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Socket 1150
I hoped to change the motherboard, but I think it's too old to get a replacement.

I don't game, I use the PC for work and trading. I am constantly running multiple tabs on my browser across two screens.

With all that in mind, what would be your recommendation for a new CPU/Motherboard bundle with a budget of £200-£250.

You will...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please stylize your thread or follow up post with information asked of in this thread. Be sure to list the specs to your existing build so we can understand what you have as options to upgrade to and if your budget is enough for the intended upgrade path.

Please list your existing system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Hello,

They are:
  • Intel Core i5 4460 3.20GHz
  • Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Socket 1150

You will also need new ram as no current motherboards / cpu's use DDR3 anymore...

I think your best option would be something like this:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/JGF9JM

That comes in just over your budget but gives you plenty of memory to handle lots of browser tabs, and the new Core i3 is really quite fast (4 core / 8 threads like earlier i7's - plenty for most work tasks) and includes integrated graphics like your current i5.

Reactions: BTCBEN
Solution
Apr 8, 2022
You will also need new ram as no current motherboards / cpu's use DDR3 anymore...

I think your best option would be something like this:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/JGF9JM

That comes in just over your budget but gives you plenty of memory to handle lots of browser tabs, and the new Core i3 is really quite fast (4 core / 8 threads like earlier i7's - plenty for most work tasks) and includes integrated graphics like your current i5.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help. That looks like a good option.

Reactions: cdrkf