advice needed

i30i3i3y

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
I'm planning on getting a 5.1 soundcard. I'm not an audio fanatic so i'm gonna keep it cheap (within £20 to be precise)

When you say soundcard you instantly think creative. I've seen a Phillips Sonic Edge and it looks pretty good. Is this a good card? How does it compare to a Soundblaster Live! 5.1? Which would you guys recommend?

I'm guessing you'd all say soundblaster but I'll never know till i ask :)

Thanks

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
You would be guessing correctly. If you don't need the best sound quality then the Soundblaster Live! 5.1 is probably the best choice. It's cheap and it's compatible with almost everything out there, hardware and software.

He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it, hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart. -C.S. Lewis

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Phillips makes OK cards at the low end and good cards at the high end. My SB Live 5.1 was garbage.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
SB Live is garbae... I agree... Sounds like poo..

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I spoiled myself with a Vortex2, with it's hardware equalizer custom balanced for my speakers, before trying the 5.1 Platinum. Ouch. I sold it to a guy who thought it was the greatest thing in the world.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

i30i3i3y

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
So would you guys say the Phillips Sonic Edge is better than the SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Digital?

I went and bought the SoundBlaster. But am having trouble getting stereo content playing through all 5 speakers.

If its worth it i might just refund the soundblaster and get a sonic edge instead

icyqueen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
If you are not an audio fans, I think a card on the mainboard is enough and cheap.
If you are a lover of music, then the sound cards of creative is the good choice.
Creative also manufacture other sound card using 5880 chip. This kind of card is much cheaper.
As far as Philips is concerned, this company wasn't good at making soundcards.

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
How much money are you willing to spend?

Should have asked that right of the bat. Damn.

He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it, hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart. -C.S. Lewis

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
The Live! series is absolute [-peep-], plain [-peep-], for anything other than stereo sound.

The Live! 2-channel processor works fine. Not great sound, but adequate. What Creative did, however, is instead of making a muli-channel processor, they are using two other 2-channel processors for the surrounds and the center/sub channels. Frankly, the other two processors could've come out of Bill Gate's butt for all the good they do. Sound is muddy, out of sync, just plain crap. If you want 5.1 sound, get a real sound card. Your budget is small, but there are some options, such as M-Audio and Terratec, as well as Santa Cruz.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--