[SOLVED] Advice on $600 budget gaming PC.

bakedj

Distinguished
May 17, 2012
Hi. I'm trying to put together a decent $600 dollar gaming pc for a friend. I haven't really been keeping up with the technology these past 2 to 3 years though. Ideally, I'd like it to be able to play most games in 1080p at highest settings while maintaining 60 fps. I understand perfectly well that is unrealistic when it comes to certain games, that is fine, can't expect to have it all for such a low budget. He has always been a console user and I've been trying to get him into pc gaming for quite some time, so I'm really feeling the pressure here. I have thrown together a list, though it exceeds the budget by $50 (I could probably talk him into that though,) isn't what I would've gone with initially, but a lot of the parts I wanted are either unavailable or cost more than they did just a month or two ago thanks to a certain situation. Anyways, would very much appreciate it if you guys could take a look at this list and see if it is balanced at all, if maybe a sacrifice could be made some where to get it a bit cheaper without losing too much performance, or if you've maybe just got a much better build for roughly the same cost. Oh, and yeah, the PSU... not so sure about that. I mean, if it is legit it is great, but if it isn't then this price is actually a tad bit higher. Also, this shows a possible incompatibility, but from what I've seen there shouldn't be one?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zT4XNq

Solution
Not sure if you've seen the plethora of R5-3300X reviews of late, but, it gives about 95% of the R5-3600's gaming performance, and, for only $120...;it looks like a 'must have' for a budget system. (Not sure when these CPUs will actually hit the streets, only just reviewed within last 48 hours) A B450 mainboard, a GTX1650 Super or better yet 1660/1660 Super depending on budget), 16 GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 (8 GB x 2), your 500 GB SSD of choice, a decent PSU, slap it in a $55 Corsair case, and you are rocking...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dY64Zy1Mxw&t=500s
Not sure if you've seen the plethora of R5-3300X reviews of late, but, it gives about 95% of the R5-3600's gaming performance, and, for only $120...;it looks like a 'must have' for a budget system. (Not sure when these CPUs will actually hit the streets, only just reviewed within last 48 hours) A B450 mainboard, a GTX1650 Super or better yet 1660/1660 Super depending on budget), 16 GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 (8 GB x 2), your 500 GB SSD of choice, a decent PSU, slap it in a $55 Corsair case, and you are rocking...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dY64Zy1Mxw&t=500s

Solution

bakedj

Distinguished
May 17, 2012
I have not. Will check out that video now. I've mostly gone through cpu/gpu hierarchy lists and budget pc build videos on youtube, but a lot of that stuff has gone up in price or simply isn't available, most notably the Ryzen 5 1600 AF I believe it was, which was only $85 dollars and seemed like it'd probably be just good enough. Not being able to get that added like $85 to the total, so a cheaper, comparable cpu is awesome. Thank you for the advice and very speedy reply.

bakedj

Distinguished
May 17, 2012
3300x seems pretty good for the price point. Was a bit concerned at first when watching that video, as the 1600 AF was actually out performing it on some stuff, then it got to gaming benchmarks and the 3300x seemed a clear winner between the two.

Assuming the 1600 AF does drop in price again and I can actually find it, would it or the 3300x be better for the next couple of years or so? Normally I would assume the 3300x would be, but with next-gen consoles coming with 8 cores and the 3300x only having 4 cores, I've got to wonder.

Rather I go with the 1600 AF or 3300x with the 1660 Super, is bottlenecking in either direction much of a concern? I've got a i5-6600k and gtx 1070 which has done me pretty good, but seems I've hit a cpu bottleneck a few times. So I'm a little concerned about that. Wanting to make sure we can play all the same stuff and if either of us are struggling that it be me. Thinking either of those pairs would safely out perform mine for the most part, but am a bit concerned.