Advice on a build

chocodash

Reputable
May 1, 2014
i'm looking for some advice on a build
i want something that will be future-proof for years to come, and play games on max settings, since i usually don't upgrade for ages unless i HAVE to, and i have about $2600 to spend. i saw this build someone else posted that got positive responses so i'm considering something similar since i have the money, but i changed a few things:

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Superclocked Video Card
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
at the moment, from my calculations (from different places) all that's just below $2000, but i still need a PSU (and an optical drive) and i don't know what PSU to go with. i've read some worrying things about some of them, like EVGA ones frying computers and Corsair ones failing, so i'm unsure on which one to go with. also, should i get a good soundcard? i blew out the speakers on my old laptop because i run white noise pretty much all night to help me sleep, so i want something that can handle that.
edit: forgot the case. i'm looking for advice on a case, too. i want something that won't get too hot

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP
System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, adobe photoshop, watching movies
Are you buying a monitor: no
Do you need to buy OS: no
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon
Overclocking: maybe
SLI or Crossfire: no
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

As envy14tpe said, you could absolutely scale back. A single monitor resolution is not very demanding... With that said, the build below is similar to what you laid out minus the GPU. Add a second GTX 770 if your resolution / gaming demands change down the road.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($385.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($149.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($239.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($95.00 @ CPL Online)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($459.00 @ PLE Computers)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($148.00 @ CPL Online)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G-750 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.00 @ CPL Online)
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($88.00 @ CPL Online)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($115.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $2095.00

chocodash

Reputable
May 1, 2014

wouldn't it be cheaper just upgrading my monitor if i'd have to upgrade everything else in 4 years? i have the money right now, but i doubt i will in 4 years, which is why i want to get something that i don't have to upgrade for ages (unless it's the monitor)

unless it's only worth it if i have multiple monitors?

chocodash

Reputable
May 1, 2014
i get what you're saying, but will parts that are 4 years old even sell for enough money to buy something decent again?

plus will that build play current/upcoming graphic intensive games at max settings? if it will then cool, i'll cut back, but i'd really prefer something that'd last for longer than 4 years and doesn't require me needing to sell stuff

The thing is buying this will play games for at least 4 years and a i7 or more RAM won't help you be "future proof".

Here is an example. I had the choice to buy a 660ti ($315) or a higher end 7970 ($500). I bought the 660ti and played games for over a year. Then I sold the 660ti for $250 and bought a 280x ($315) which is essentially a better 7970. Now I have a component that is very new and would be almost half the price of a component had I bought it for "future proof". My point is that it is better to plan for upgrading certain components like GPU.

I highly suggest you stick to a very good 1080p for $1300 and save that money for other things.

chocodash

Reputable
May 1, 2014

okay, i'm willing to cut back like i said, as long as the parts i get will max out graphic intensive games. i really hate the idea of having to sell stuff since it seems like a major hassle, though.