Question Advice on a sleeper PC

Jan 20, 2020
I am planning to renovate an old Compaq Presario 7478 prebuilt into a "sleeper" PC. This seems to be the best category for this topic, given as its a prebuilt pc. It currently has an AMD K6-III 533 MHz and 64 MB of RAM. Does anybody know of any concerns about using this particular chassis (I think its at least MicroATX)? I plan to fit a B450 Mobo, with a spare AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, 8 GB of RAM, and a SATA SSD that I have lying around. It has no cooling besides the PSU, so I am concerned about heat. Advice? Have any of you done sleepers before? Here is an image. I have only the tower.

Jan 20, 2020
The first thing that comes in my mind is check how much space you have, see if there is enough if you need to replace the PSU to a newer model.
I think there is enough space. The PSU is 200W, and ancient, so that will definitely be upgraded.

Jul 8, 2019
^ That would be very interesting, although I suspect the HDD's are going to be hot, you might get away with liquid cooling as an exhaust fan. Not sure if you're into hard modding, but a hole in the door might be an option for your Gpu. I'm sure you knew this already, but there you go.

Jan 20, 2020
Yeah, and check lenghtwise too. I have had cabinets that I was unable to fit a bigger PSU inside.

However, there will be much guessing - so what about posting a picture of the PC cabinet interior?
The case is an interesting design where the panel with the Mobo and drives and PSU (basically everything) slides out with a handle on the back. I will post pics tomorrow or later.

Jan 20, 2020
^ That would be very interesting, although I suspect the HDD's are going to be hot, you might get away with liquid cooling as an exhaust fan. Not sure if you're into hard modding, but a hole in the door might be an option for your Gpu. I'm sure you knew this already, but there you go.
I am using the iGPU (RX Vega 8), on the APU, and there is no option to mount a liquid cooling system because there is one 80mm fan mount in a separate compartment of the case behind the optical drives. I am not into hard modding. One thing I did just think about was the front panel connector (power button/leds), since its all in one proprietary connector. I will probably have to do a bit of modifying there...

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts