[SOLVED] Advice on airflow situation

Jul 14, 2020
So here's the thing :

I just fitted my RTX 2080 Ti with a NZXT Kraken G12 + Corsair H55. mod.
Installation went fairly smooth, right up until I realized I couldn't fit the radiator + fan of the H55 at the front of my case as intake because the power connectors from the GPU were in the way, just barely...
So then I proceeded to install the radiator in the rear of my case as this was pretty much the only option.
Now my question is how I go about airflow here...
This is how it is setup right now , see pic for reference : View: https://imgur.com/DKLa57I

(Don't mind the cable management, still need to tidy everything up)
I feel like this is less than ideal, since dust will accumulate without any rear filter
Case is fractal meshify C
I also still have 2 Noctua 120 case fans I need to install

Any advice/suggestions on this?

Solution
Not sure what you mean here, I did some benchmarks and it is not exceeding 52C under full load so far...
Looks like my concerns were unwarranted:
A)what with all the hearsay about the 20 series running warm... after testing my own 1080Ti, the gpu core was observed pulling upwards of 250w by itself.
Technically, a 120mm AIO shouldn't be able to deal with that if your 2080Ti(gpu core) pulls that much or more.

B) as well as the GDDR6 memory... GDDR5 and GDDR5X can be kept cool with direct airflow, with heatsinks being optional. GDDR6 supposedly needs both.

I'm also planning on replacing the NZXT bracket fan with another Noctua
I already did that - I just wish the NF-A9 Chromax Blacks were in stock... :hum:
Jul 12, 2020
So you are blowing warm air from the rear and exhaust to the top?
I'd exhaust the radiator, no need to brign that warm air into the case to heat up the graphics, VRM, capacitors etc. they can keep themselves warm without additional help.

If possible, bring lots of air in at the front and bottom. that way some of the air will go through the radiator, and some through the holes below it, to go over the graphicscard.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-Take both cpu cooler fans and flip them the other way; exhaust out the back, please.
-Do the same with the AIO fan.
-Take that top fan(that's a 120mm, right?) and mount it in the front. Intake, please.
-Mount the 2 Noctua fans in the front as well.

That just leaves one potentially major issue: your choice of a Corsair H55 to use with the Kraken G12 on a 2080Ti.
I recently did the same with the Kraken G12, but with a 1080Ti and a Fractal Design Celsius S36.
When my card's gpu core alone can pull up to 250w(according to Gpu-Z), not to mention it's equipped with the cooler operating GDDR5X... I worry for your card's thermals...

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020
Thanks for the advice and replies, I have reversed the fans now and mounted the Noctuas in front.

That just leaves one potentially major issue: your choice of a Corsair H55 to use with the Kraken G12 on a 2080Ti.
I recently did the same with the Kraken G12, but with a 1080Ti and a Fractal Design Celsius S36.
When my card's gpu core alone can pull up to 250w(according to Gpu-Z), not to mention it's equipped with the cooler operating GDDR5X... I worry for your card's thermals...

Not sure what you mean here, I did some benchmarks and it is not exceeding 52C under full load so far... I'm also planning on replacing the NZXT bracket fan with another Noctua for increased airflow, you think I will run into issues?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure what you mean here, I did some benchmarks and it is not exceeding 52C under full load so far...
Looks like my concerns were unwarranted:
A)what with all the hearsay about the 20 series running warm... after testing my own 1080Ti, the gpu core was observed pulling upwards of 250w by itself.
Technically, a 120mm AIO shouldn't be able to deal with that if your 2080Ti(gpu core) pulls that much or more.

B) as well as the GDDR6 memory... GDDR5 and GDDR5X can be kept cool with direct airflow, with heatsinks being optional. GDDR6 supposedly needs both.

I'm also planning on replacing the NZXT bracket fan with another Noctua
I already did that - I just wish the NF-A9 Chromax Blacks were in stock... :hum:

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS