Question Advice on audio upgrade for my desktop PC ?

Skippy2416

Honorable
Mar 7, 2017
So I am looking to upgrade my audio set up for my desktop. I am currently using a SHP9500 and a creative sound X3. I am no longer needing a sound card that has a dedicated mic input since I got a great deal on a Blue Yeti. So I am looking for the next step up.
I am looking at the schiit stack modi/magni combo and a Philips x2hr for the fit on my melon of a head or the HD6xx, but are there better headphones that pair better with the schiit stack? Or is there a better setup out there all together?
I am mainly a gamer but I listen to a lot of music when I work for my at home job.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

Titan
Mar 25, 2010
You won't be able to tell much if any difference from the SB card you already have, the headphones will be the largest difference. I would save the money and just get both headphones you want and run them off the existing sound card you have. I like being able to swap my headphones around depending on what I feel like listening to. You may even want to get a closed back set and an open back set vs two open back sets, but the Philips and the Sennheiser sound different enough that getting both of those you will have a different enough sound to make swapping between them fun. Another option in the price range is the lower end planar set from Hifiman, Drop has a set on sale now for very cheap https://drop.com/buy/drop-hifiman-he-x4-planar-magnetic-headphones?mode=shop_open&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=15099863401&utm_term=131848299729&utm_content=556972595220&utm_keyword=&utm_placement=pla-1458471713217&utm_network=u:c::&utm_device=&mode=shop_open&gclid=CjwKCAjwmJeYBhAwEiwAXlg0ATisnistvF-oJGV-TBnGFgNKGy5HDDyWAqs3EUvV-wspMTK6WpmFbBoCXU0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or take all the money from not getting the new DAC and get something like a Beyer DT set https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-beyerdynamic-dt177x-go-headphones

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
The HD 6XX are an amazing set of headphones, as someone who also possesses a melon sized dome they fit so comfortably and my ears don't sweat. I have a modi/magni stack and it is really just a treat to listen to music and record audio on my setup.

ASK THE COMMUNITY