advice on best ssd for new build that I can use now

jarodatkinson

Reputable
Oct 10, 2017
Hi Guys,

I am building a z370/8700k rig, but as i'm pretty poor, It is going take about six months to buy all the bits. I have a budget of 500 australian $ for a ssd now, and obviously I would like to get the best (as in fastest) storage above 500 gb that I can afford for that setup.

I would like to be able to use the drive I am going to purchase in my old computer now if that is possible as my current computer doesn't have an ssd, which makes it frustrating and slow, and as I said, It may take a while for the new build. My mobo is an asrock z68 extreme 4 gen 3 which only supports AHCI. I don't want to compromise the future build in any way though..... If I can't use the best option on the old pc, then so be it.

I've been researching for a couple of months in preparation for buying this, but the different advice between sata/pcie/m.2 and ahci v nvme on top of the amount of choice from different manufacturers makes it pretty much impossible for someone with my experience to make the best choice... Hence coming to ask the experts here. I only use my computer for gaming mainly, some streaming and I run a dedicated graphics card...... and will be on the new pc, if taking that first pcie lane makes a difference to best storage choice.... Thanks.....

Solution

Well, you asked for something that will also run on your current Z68 system.
An NVMe drive is "faster", but depending on exactly what your use case is, maybe not faster enough to warrant the extra money in the new system.

For instance...the OS drive in a gaming system...an NVMe drive probably wouldn't show much actual user benefit.

USAFRet

Titan

Well, you asked for something that will also run on your current Z68 system.
An NVMe drive is "faster", but depending on exactly what your use case is, maybe not faster enough to warrant the extra money in the new system.

For instance...the OS drive in a gaming system...an NVMe drive probably wouldn't show much actual user benefit.

Solution

jarodatkinson

Reputable
Oct 10, 2017

Thanks for the replies.... Yep, I totally agree.... the speed differences seem negligible unless you are manipulating large files, which I don't do.... I'm wondering if that will still be the case in 5 or 6 years time though....will games be expecting that NVMe speed ability then... I'm planning on keeping the computer at least that long if I can..... like I said, If I can't use the best drive now, so be it...... I was just hoping I might be able to......