[SOLVED] Advice on building a Gaming/Graphic Design PC

May 9, 2019
Hello,
My brother and I are both getting into PC gaming.
We would like to build are first gaming PC.
Only thing is we are not really up to date on the lastest hardware out there and any info would be great.
We would like to play the latest games at 1080p. I would also like to use Photoshop.
We already have 2 gaming Monitor which we use for our Xbox. ASUS VG245H
Our budget is around $2,000 since we will be sharing the PC.

Solution
I guess I'm going to elaborate why I chose this system.

I chose the Ryzen 2700X because it doesn't perform significantly worse in Photoshop compared to the 8700K, and the difference in games is not significant enough either, while being cheaper and having two additional cores and 4 additional threads, which can come in handy if multi-tasking is required, like streaming for example. Additionally, the AM4 platform gives you upgrading room for the CPU in the future, all the way up to 16C/32T, which is exactly why I also chose the relatively expensive motherboard, rather than a cheaper B450 one. It's to guarantee better compatibility down the line

The CPU cooler I chose is the best price/performance cooler bar none. It performs close to a...
It's better to wait for the Ryzen 3000 series, but for now, this is what I got;

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($51.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($290.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX - Radeon VII 16 GB Video Card ($679.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: be quiet! - Straight Power 11 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($128.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1981.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-10 21:22 EDT-0400

Reactions: jordan12907
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor | $359.99 @ Walmart
CPU Cooler | Cooler Master - Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler | $29.53 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard | $118.75 @ OutletPC
Memory | Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory | $144.50 @ Newegg
Storage | Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | $109.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card | EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Black Video Card | $1098.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case | Cooler Master - MasterBox Lite 5 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case | $54.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply | SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $82.98 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $2039.62
| Mail-in rebates | -$40.00
| Total | $1999.62
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-10 21:39 EDT-0400 |
Better cpu for gaming, better gpu, better ssd.

Reactions: jordan12907
I guess I'm going to elaborate why I chose this system.

I chose the Ryzen 2700X because it doesn't perform significantly worse in Photoshop compared to the 8700K, and the difference in games is not significant enough either, while being cheaper and having two additional cores and 4 additional threads, which can come in handy if multi-tasking is required, like streaming for example. Additionally, the AM4 platform gives you upgrading room for the CPU in the future, all the way up to 16C/32T, which is exactly why I also chose the relatively expensive motherboard, rather than a cheaper B450 one. It's to guarantee better compatibility down the line

The CPU cooler I chose is the best price/performance cooler bar none. It performs close to a Noctua D15 (the best air cooler around) out of the box for about half the price, and it is extremely quiet. If more cooling is required, replacing or adding another fan on the cooler does the trick.

Since Ryzen can be quite sensitive to memory latency, I chose one of the higher tier RAM module sets for this system, so that you're practically guaranteed to run at least 3200MHz RAM at CL14. Most likely you can even reach over 3600 MHz CL16. Intel doesn't benefit as much from faster RAM, so one can get away with cheaper RAM and invest it in other components, so that choice is up to you.

The SSD choice is because it's one of the fastest SSDs out there. It's your choice what you go for. Compared to what remixislandmusic recommended (Intel 660p), the XPG 8200 Pro is faster by close to 40%. Whether that's worth the additional money is up to you. It fitted in your budget, so... I went for it, and it still allowed me to give you a 4TB hard drive for storage of your photos and stuff, considering you're going to be using Photoshop. When two people use a PC, having great storage is practically a must. Here's a comparison between the SSDs.
https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compa...-SX8200-Pro-NVMe-PCIe-M2-1TB/m602553vsm638791

For the video card, a 2080Ti is not only overpriced (~60% more expensive for ~35% more performance), for the 1080p 75Hz monitor that you have it is extremely overkill. Technically, so is the Radeon VII, but the reason I chose it is because you might use the 16GB of RAM. You didn't mention anything about video editing, but since both of you will be using it, the 16GB is a nice fallback and gives the card more longevity. For 1080p, you don't really need anything that's faster than a GTX 1660 or a Vega 56. If you do plan to upgrade your monitor in the near future, the Radeon VII is a good long term choice. nVidia is not exactly known for giving long term support to their graphics cards either, so it might not be the best choice if you're going to upgrade much later in the future.

Case quality is important for your air flow, especially when using an air cooler. It's also a matter of taste though. I simply went for something that will give you good airflow. If you want a DVD or Blu-Ray drive, you need to go for something else, because the case I chose doesn't have anything in front other than mesh and fans. And it's slightly on the small side as well. If you need other recommendations, just ask.

For the PSU... Everyone loves the Seasonic Focus Plus, but I advise against it, which is why I went with something else. Certain graphics cards have issues with it, and a PSU with a 7 year warranty will be used for a long time. The issue is that you don't know which components will have the same issue with it down the line as more new hardware is released... Here's the described issue.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/seasonic-focus-plus-psu-compatibility-issues,38105.html

Solution