Question Advice on building a music production CPU

CoastalRyan

Prominent
May 16, 2019
So right up front I'm not a very knowledgeable computer guy but I have a friend that said he would give me a hand putting this together on his off days.

This will be strictly for music production. I run Logic and Ableton both with a lot of plug ins. I currently have this laptop

and it struggles with both programs. Slow load times and slow to load midi kits. Converting raw files to mp3 isn't too bad but I want something that's going to allow me to open multiple pieces of software(plugins) without any issues.

I'll need a lot of storage. I have a good 500gb of plugins and software so I'm thinking that a 1TB SSD would be a smart move...

So where do I start? Definitely don't want another laptop and the ability to run dual screens is a must. Not sure on matching up a motherboard and processor etc.

Budget is 1k but would love it if I could get all the parts for under 800. I'm not trying to cut corners but the more affordable the better.

Any help is appreciated.

This should be a start - Not a gaming computer - can be if you upgrade GPU
Otherwise, 6 core and 12 threads should help you a lot

Can remove the M2 Nvme and swap for a slower (but incredibly good SSD)
M2 Nvme is the latest and greatest

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($93.70 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($85.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($246.60 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB AERO ITX OC Video Card ($149.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($52.93 @ Amazon)
Total: $849.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-16 20:05 EDT-0400

CoastalRyan

Prominent
May 16, 2019
Thanks, that looks pretty good. I'm guessing that GPU is considerably better than the integrated one I've got on my current laptop.

Should I be thinking 32gb ram or would that be overkill for what I'm doing?

Is the M.2 a better place to put my money vs CPU and Memory. Thinking that your second option hard drive could potentially be a hundred dollars into upgrading another piece of the puzzle.

What's my best option for adding wifi capabilities? I will definitely be moving a lot of stuff via wifi?

Thanks again.