Advice on building my own computer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On 9 Jan 2005 05:31:38 GMT, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:

>JAD:
>
>> HOW CAN SOMEONE GIVE YOU ADVICE ON A MOTHERBOARD THAT YOU INTEND TO
>> USE A MYSTERIOUS VIDEO CARD IN?
>> I may add you failed once again to inform the masses here as to what
>> that may be. ...
>
>He has a 9600Pro. Guess how I knew that...

You have a spycam pointed at him?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"larry moe 'n curly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> You may need a new PSU, and 400W is more than enough, provided the PSU
> is a high quality one, like an Antec or
> Fortron/Sparkle/Hi-Q/PowerQ/Powerman/Aopen/Trend (www.newegg.com can be
> really cheap for the latter). But if it's low quality PSU, then even a
> 700W model may not be enough.

I intended on getting a power supply with the case that I will buy with this
setup. I didn't think I'd have to mention that. I figured cases came
standard with power supplies. The actual rating (400w, 500w, etc) is the
only thing I'm not sure about.

> It's completely relevant because if you mostly play games from a CD/DVD
> or do intensive CAD, video, or audio work, you want the fastest CPU and
> graphics, but if you're using the computer just for Internet, business,
> or wordprocessing, a 200 MHz CPU and the world's slowest graphics card
> are more than enough and you should instead be more concerned about
> reliability (UPS, RAID HDs, second computer for backups). I have no
> idea what's needed for Internet gaming.

I don't need a graphics card. I have one that is fine for my applications. A
200 MHZ CPU would not be "just fine" because I'm not looking for "just
fine". I'm just interested in the fastest, most reliable mobo/cpu/memory
combination for the money. I don't care if it's overkill for what I may be
using the computer for. I didn't ask what people thought was appropriate for
a particular application, but rather, I asked what I could get with that
amount of money. I've gotten some good replies so far and I appretiate
those.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

kony:

>>He has a 9600Pro. Guess how I knew that...
>
> You have a spycam pointed at him?

Well yeah, but that's not how I knew ;)

Actually he mentioned the video card in his first or second reply.
--
Mac Cool

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 22:16:48 -0500, "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS
at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote:

>"larry moe 'n curly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>> You may need a new PSU, and 400W is more than enough, provided the PSU
>> is a high quality one, like an Antec or
>> Fortron/Sparkle/Hi-Q/PowerQ/Powerman/Aopen/Trend (www.newegg.com can be
>> really cheap for the latter). But if it's low quality PSU, then even a
>> 700W model may not be enough.
>
>I intended on getting a power supply with the case that I will buy with this
>setup. I didn't think I'd have to mention that. I figured cases came
>standard with power supplies. The actual rating (400w, 500w, etc) is the
>only thing I'm not sure about.

Many/most cases do come with power supplies, but almost
every generic PSU that comes with a case is vastly
overrated, has lower than labeled actual capacity. Come to
think of it I don't recall ANY modern generic
comes-with-case PSU that are worth more than 330W sustained,
which is borderline for a modern system even ignoring
omission of saftety features.

Buy a name-brand power supply, whether it comes in a case or
seperate. The majority of the load is on 12V rail for a new
build, choose a unit with at least 14A 12V, but preferribly
more, >=17A.

rod

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I just bought a Soltek Mobo, Ever Case Gaming case, 1 Gig Muskin PC3200 and
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ along with some other components from NewEgg to assemble
a PC for my son's up coming B-day and I'm very impressed with the gaming
performance, quietness, and cool operating temperature of this unit.

The above mentioned components run 418 shipped, but I also had an 80 Gig HD
and a Geforce 6600GT video card as well. The video card is one thing you
omitted on your need list. And since your wanting to game, it will make as
much or more importance than the processor.

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> Many/most cases do come with power supplies, but almost
> every generic PSU that comes with a case is vastly
> overrated, has lower than labeled actual capacity. Come to
> think of it I don't recall ANY modern generic
> comes-with-case PSU that are worth more than 330W sustained,
> which is borderline for a modern system even ignoring
> omission of saftety features.
>
> Buy a name-brand power supply, whether it comes in a case or
> seperate. The majority of the load is on 12V rail for a new
> build, choose a unit with at least 14A 12V, but preferribly
> more, >=17A.

I've had people putting together custom computers for me since 1997 and
they've always used the power supply that came with the case. I've never had
a problem. Currently running an AMD Athlon XP CPU, 1 gig ram, ATI Radeon
9600 Pro video card...

"Rod" <rmarch@cable_removeme_one.net> wrote in message
>I just bought a Soltek Mobo, Ever Case Gaming case, 1 Gig Muskin PC3200 and
>AMD Athlon 64 3000+ along with some other components from NewEgg to
>assemble a PC for my son's up coming B-day and I'm very impressed with the
>gaming performance, quietness, and cool operating temperature of this unit.
>
> The above mentioned components run 418 shipped, but I also had an 80 Gig
> HD and a Geforce 6600GT video card as well. The video card is one thing
> you omitted on your need list. And since your wanting to game, it will
> make as much or more importance than the processor.

Like my original post said, I only need the case/power supply, mobo and
memory. Everything else that I'm currently using doesn't need to be
replaced. I will keep those items you mentioned in mind.

> Like my original post said, I only need the case/power supply, mobo and
> memory. Everything else that I'm currently using doesn't need to be
> replaced. I will keep those items you mentioned in mind.

Yeah, I know you said that is all you needed. However, if you have
something like a 9700Pro ATI or FX5900 video card, Your new system will
simply be mediocre. I know, I have a P4 3.06 with an ATI 9700 Pro, and the
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with the 6600GT video card smokes the P4/9700Pro setup
in Games and 3D benchmark program I've run on either.

But otherwise, the hardware I mentioned, I'm very pleased with.

> Yeah, I know you said that is all you needed. However, if you have
> something like a 9700Pro ATI or FX5900 video card, Your new system will
> simply be mediocre. I know, I have a P4 3.06 with an ATI 9700 Pro, and
> the AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with the 6600GT video card smokes the P4/9700Pro
> setup in Games and 3D benchmark program I've run on either.
>
> But otherwise, the hardware I mentioned, I'm very pleased with.

*sigh*

You guys provide great advice and you've given me many different setups to
consider and I appretiate it. Just don't read too much into the post. :)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:44:52 -0500, "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST
DOT NET> wrote:

>"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Buy a name-brand power supply, whether it comes in a case or
>> seperate. The majority of the load is on 12V rail for a new
>> build, choose a unit with at least 14A 12V, but preferribly
>> more, >=17A.
>

>I've had people putting together custom computers for me since 1997 and
>they've always used the power supply that came with the case. I've never had
>a problem. Currently running an AMD Athlon XP CPU, 1 gig ram, ATI Radeon
>9600 Pro video card...

Add the word YET regarding a problem. Then again maybe you have and
blame other things as the cause.
I personaly would rather have a rock solid PS than the bragging rights
to items that work flaky because of a weak PS. GOOD LUCK

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

> Yeah, I know you said that is all you needed. However,

Give the guy a break, there have been about two replies that answered the
guy's question and everyone else is just hounding him and asking him
stupid questions that were already answered. Yeah, power supplies are
important, but some of you guys need therapy.

rod

"Gary Newman" <garyman@hotmale.org> wrote in message
>> Yeah, I know you said that is all you needed. However,
>
> Give the guy a break, there have been about two replies that answered the
> guy's question and everyone else is just hounding him and asking him
> stupid questions that were already answered. Yeah, power supplies are
> important, but some of you guys need therapy.

Ok, So if a guy wants to know if jumping off of a cliff will get him to the
bottom, should everyone just say "yes" and not suggest taking the stairs?

at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote:

>I've had people putting together custom computers for me since 1997 and
>they've always used the power supply that came with the case. I've never had
>a problem. Currently running an AMD Athlon XP CPU, 1 gig ram, ATI Radeon
>9600 Pro video card...

Sure, and systems used less power in the past, and that
power was more evenly distrubuted on 5V & 12V rails. Just
trying to be helpful, I throw away piles of generics because
they're not even worth fixing.

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:00:33 GMT, IDIDIT <VISCH@EVASION.COM>
wrote:

>>I've had people putting together custom computers for me since 1997 and
>>they've always used the power supply that came with the case. I've never had
>>a problem. Currently running an AMD Athlon XP CPU, 1 gig ram, ATI Radeon
>>9600 Pro video card...
>>

>Add the word YET regarding a problem. Then again maybe you have and
>blame other things as the cause.
>I personaly would rather have a rock solid PS than the bragging rights
>to items that work flaky because of a weak PS. GOOD LUCK

Something else not-so-obvious to some is that a marginal
power supply may kill other parts yet remain working. If a
video card, motherboard or HDD dies, will the owner blame
the correct part?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:39:58 -0600, "Rod"
<rmarch@cable_removeme_one.net> wrote:

>"Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote in message
>> Like my original post said, I only need the case/power supply, mobo and
>> memory. Everything else that I'm currently using doesn't need to be
>> replaced. I will keep those items you mentioned in mind.
>>

>Yeah, I know you said that is all you needed. However, if you have
>something like a 9700Pro ATI or FX5900 video card, Your new system will
>simply be mediocre. I know, I have a P4 3.06 with an ATI 9700 Pro, and the
>AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with the 6600GT video card smokes the P4/9700Pro setup
>in Games and 3D benchmark program I've run on either.
>
>But otherwise, the hardware I mentioned, I'm very pleased with.

The proposed $500 budget was already thin, no way to squeeze
in the video card unless it's the only thing replaced, since
the CPU & mobo kinda go together as a pair.

<manny@london.com> wrote in message
> Why are you asking if you have that much experience?
>
> It's obvious you're a lightweight who's more interested
> in fluff than substance, so just get something nice
> and pretty.

I don't have "that much experience", but I know (in general) what I need, so
I'm asking for very specific parts. The rest of the computer is not that
important as those parts will work with whatever people recommend here. Some
people are just reading too much into the original post.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:07:56 -0500, "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS
at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote:

><manny@london.com> wrote in message
>> Why are you asking if you have that much experience?
>>
>> It's obvious you're a lightweight who's more interested
>> in fluff than substance, so just get something nice
>> and pretty.
>
>I don't have "that much experience", but I know (in general) what I need, so
>I'm asking for very specific parts. The rest of the computer is not that
>important as those parts will work with whatever people recommend here. Some
>people are just reading too much into the original post.

Andy, the odds are MUCH higher that you're going to get
negative replies when you crosspost. Try picking a group or
two and sticking with it for a while. Web-oriented forums
are a good way to find details of particular boards, you
might try those as well.

> Andy, the odds are MUCH higher that you're going to get
> negative replies when you crosspost. Try picking a group or
> two and sticking with it for a while. Web-oriented forums
> are a good way to find details of particular boards, you
> might try those as well.

Then again, if I post once on each of the newsgroups, I will have to check
each and every one of those newsgroups for replies. Crossposting allows
people that read each of those newsgroups to reply, since not everyone reads
every one of those newsgroups. My topic is broad enough to cover each
newsgroup that I crossposted to.

Dee

Andy in NJ wrote:
> "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>
>>Andy, the odds are MUCH higher that you're going to get
>>negative replies when you crosspost. Try picking a group or
>>two and sticking with it for a while. Web-oriented forums
>>are a good way to find details of particular boards, you
>>might try those as well.
>

> Then again, if I post once on each of the newsgroups, I will have to check
> each and every one of those newsgroups for replies. Crossposting allows
> people that read each of those newsgroups to reply, since not everyone reads
> every one of those newsgroups. My topic is broad enough to cover each
> newsgroup that I crossposted to.

The point you're missing is that it is not proper etiquette to cross-post!

Post to one group at a time and only one group only!

Don't post to a whole bunch of groups at the same time!!!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:15:55 -0500, "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS
at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote:

>"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>> Andy, the odds are MUCH higher that you're going to get
>> negative replies when you crosspost. Try picking a group or
>> two and sticking with it for a while. Web-oriented forums
>> are a good way to find details of particular boards, you
>> might try those as well.
>
>Then again, if I post once on each of the newsgroups, I will have to check
>each and every one of those newsgroups for replies. Crossposting allows
>people that read each of those newsgroups to reply, since not everyone reads
>every one of those newsgroups. My topic is broad enough to cover each
>newsgroup that I crossposted to.

Your topic is broad enough that you should've been a bit
less lazy, doing the legwork like everyone else. Instead,
your post has been answered sufficiently but it seems you
haven't built the system, just wasted the resources of the
groups posted to. Newsgroups work because everyone doesn't
post "hey gang be my personal shopper for
nothing-in-particular" threads. Get on with it, you're
wasting your own time, too.

Dee wrote:
> Andy in NJ wrote:
>> "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Andy, the odds are MUCH higher that you're going to get
>>> negative replies when you crosspost. Try picking a group or
>>> two and sticking with it for a while. Web-oriented forums
>>> are a good way to find details of particular boards, you
>>> might try those as well.
>>
>> Then again, if I post once on each of the newsgroups, I will have
>> to check each and every one of those newsgroups for replies.
>> Crossposting allows people that read each of those newsgroups to
>> reply, since not everyone reads every one of those newsgroups. My
>> topic is broad enough to cover each newsgroup that I crossposted
>> to.
>>
> The point you're missing is that it is not proper etiquette to
> cross-post! Post to one group at a time and only one group only!
>
> Don't post to a whole bunch of groups at the same time!!!

He can cross post to a reasonable selection, provided he sets
follow-ups to a single group immediately, i.e. on the initial
posting. That way he gets a response from a wider group (which I
presume to be the objective) and limits discussion to a single
group. Once a thread is widely cross-posted it tends to fill up
with kooks and various OT nonsense, and to become an interminable
nuisance.

kony wrote:
>On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:15:55 -0500, "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS
>at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote:

>>"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>>> Andy, the odds are MUCH higher that you're going to get
>>> negative replies when you crosspost. Try picking a group or
>>> two and sticking with it for a while.

I agree with this...

>>Then again, if I post once on each of the newsgroups, I will
>>have to check each and every one of those newsgroups for replies.

This isn't a problem if you only post to one or two groups.

>>Crossposting allows people that read each of those newsgroups
>>to reply, since not everyone reads every one of those newsgroups.

This is actually a problem when you crosspost to more than,
say, 2 newsgroups. For whatever reasons, the chances of
starting a silly argument goes way up when you crosspost.
Perhaps it's because people who normally wouldn't be reading
each other's opinionated posts do so. Within a newsgroup,
a particular argument might have been hashed over many times
already.

>>My topic is broad enough to cover each
>>newsgroup that I crossposted to.

You would have done much better to only post to homebuilt
and pc-homebuilt.

home-designed is naturally going to look down upon you for
not going with a "real" custom system.

alt.comp.hardware is too broad--you don't post to a broad
group if a subgroup applies. Otherwise, EVERY post to a
subgroup would be crossposted to the broader parent group.
Does that make any sense?

As it is, a.c.h.homebuilt and a.c.h.pc-homebuilt are basically
redundant and in a "non-alt" world would be just a single
newsgroup. However, the alt hierarchy is more of an anarchy
than a hierarchy, so...

>Your topic is broad enough that you should've been a bit
>less lazy, doing the legwork like everyone else. Instead,
>your post has been answered sufficiently but it seems you
>haven't built the system, just wasted the resources of the
>groups posted to. Newsgroups work because everyone doesn't
>post "hey gang be my personal shopper for
>nothing-in-particular" threads.

I don't see anything wrong with "be my personal shopper"
threads, at least on homebuilt/pc-homebuilt. Computer
hardware prices change far too quickly for a search of
threads older than a couple weeks to be useful for finding
the best deals.

>Get on with it, you're wasting your own time, too.

For most people, putting together a new computer is a
significant investment in money and/or time. It's
natural to want to do it right and not feel burned by
a hasty decision. Crazy as it might seem to you, it's
not insane to research a complex purchasing decision
for a few weeks, especially if a great deal might come
along in this time.

Just looking at Fry's Outpost alone, their mobo/cpu combos
change prices on a weekly basis--in both directions.

Isaac Kuo

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

kony:

> Newsgroups work because everyone doesn't post "hey gang be my
> personal shopper for nothing-in-particular" threads.

Wait, I thought we were reading the same newsgroups... maybe not.
;)

--
Mac Cool

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On 13 Jan 2005 08:06:11 -0800, "IsaacKuo"
<mechdan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>Your topic is broad enough that you should've been a bit
>>less lazy, doing the legwork like everyone else. Instead,
>>your post has been answered sufficiently but it seems you
>>haven't built the system, just wasted the resources of the
>>groups posted to. Newsgroups work because everyone doesn't
>>post "hey gang be my personal shopper for
>>nothing-in-particular" threads.
>
>I don't see anything wrong with "be my personal shopper"
>threads, at least on homebuilt/pc-homebuilt. Computer
>hardware prices change far too quickly for a search of
>threads older than a couple weeks to be useful for finding
>the best deals.

Consider that dozens of thousands of PCs are bought every
day. How many of those buyers DON'T want the best thing for
X amt. of $ ? The difference is generally that they do a
bit of research into their personal needs BEFORE looking for
specific advice, narrowing down the choices rather than at
the beginning of the whole process.

>>Get on with it, you're wasting your own time, too.
>
>For most people, putting together a new computer is a
>significant investment in money and/or time. It's
>natural to want to do it right and not feel burned by
>a hasty decision. Crazy as it might seem to you, it's
>not insane to research a complex purchasing decision
>for a few weeks, especially if a great deal might come
>along in this time.
>
>Just looking at Fry's Outpost alone, their mobo/cpu combos
>change prices on a weekly basis--in both directions.

Yes, and again, where would it end? It's not at all crazy
to research, but that's exactly what the OP did not do,
instead... or at least no evidence of it, no details to
narrow the alternatives or anything like that except what
seems a budget where he's trying to get us to help him save
a couple bucks. In moderation, it's a reasonable thing.
When it involves occupying multiple newsgroups for a generic
question with no prior legwork, it's excessive, IMO.

> Your topic is broad enough that you should've been a bit
> less lazy, doing the legwork like everyone else. Instead,
> your post has been answered sufficiently but it seems you
> haven't built the system, just wasted the resources of the
> groups posted to. Newsgroups work because everyone doesn't
> post "hey gang be my personal shopper for
> nothing-in-particular" threads. Get on with it, you're
> wasting your own time, too.

So asking others for their opinions on a newsgroup isn't "legwork"? You're
right I haven't bought the system. Unlike you, I don't have all the free
time in the world to immediately run out and buy what I need. I will be
buying something soon, probably as a result of the helpful replies I
received.