Question Advice on buying a budget laptop ?

Palador

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2014
Edit: I just found these two laptops on Amazon.de and both sound like incredible deals, but almost in the range of "too good to be true."
Lenovo (Ryzen 5 5500U) with 20 GB RAM/1TB SSD at 600 euro.
HP 255 G8 5B6R0ES (Ryzen 7 5700U) with 8GB RAM/512 GB SSD at 600 euro.
They both have Windows 11 which wouldn't be my preference, but is this a deal too good to pass up?

Hi, everyone.
I'll be visiting Germany and thought I'd better pick up a laptop while there as they're often unreliable where I live.
I've been checking Saturn, MediaMarkt, and Amazon for different options as I think those are the major stores for getting tech stuff.
On Saturn I found these:
HP 15s-eq1355ng (Ryzen 5 4500U) at 520 euro.
Acer Aspire 5 A515-56-545J (i5-1135G7) at 600 euro.

I normally favour Acer to HP (though I can't say I have anything bad to say about my old HP Probooks), but I just can't really see that the price can be justified. I'm just wondering if there is a reason I should avoid the HP at all costs or both of them.
I also saw this on MediaMarkt:
HP 15s-eq0355ng (Ryzen 5 3500U) at 430 euro.

My budget is somewhat flexible and what I want from the laptops is pretty flexible as well. I play games casually, do a bit of video and photo work casually too, etc.
I do like having a decent number of port options, but these days it almost seems like getting a dongle is an inevitable necessity.
I'm probably looking for a 15" laptop, but could possibly make do with 14". Either way probably 1080p.
Battery life is pretty important to me.
A webcam at 720p is also pretty important to me (Is it just me or does it seem like all Asus Vivobooks come with these awful VGA webcams?)

All the laptops above have 500GB SSDs and I think that would be a minimum for me. I do like the fact that Acers make upgrading so easy, but HP seem rather the opposite. Though I think with a 500 GB SSD, I likely won't need to upgrade the storage.

There are other options above 600 euro that are interesting, but ultimately it's easy to keep getting a bit better and a bit better until I'm looking at a laptop that's much more than I intended to pay. I'm probably looking around the 400-600 euro range and probably prefer dealing with Windows 10 than Windows 11 at this point. All of the laptops I mentioned are significantly better than what I'm coming from, so they're all upgrades to me, in their own right.

Anyway, what do you think about these laptops? I could give you a whole list of the ones I looked at, but I don't want to wear you out completely.

Two side notes:
1: What's the main benefits of the HP 255 G8s over the HP-15s, etc ?
2: How are the Intel Iris XE graphics to the Vega ones? I hear everyone raving about the Iris XE, but is that because Intel are finally coming closer to AMD in terms of graphics or are they actually better?

Thanks so much. I appreciate any advice

Last edited:
From the two you found, I like Lenovo build quality and reliability more than HP, Acer or Dell. However the Ryzen 7 is a pretty good upgrade over the 5, and the extra RAM and storage space is not really needed for your case. Really depends on what is "game casually" means. Are you talking about chess and Minecraft or graphically demanding games? If anything you play needs video card horsepower than that is the first thing you need to compare, as well as the storage you need for games.

Palador

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2014
From the two you found, I like Lenovo build quality and reliability more than HP, Acer or Dell. However the Ryzen 7 is a pretty good upgrade over the 5, and the extra RAM and storage space is not really needed for your case. Really depends on what is "game casually" means. Are you talking about chess and Minecraft or graphically demanding games? If anything you play needs video card horsepower than that is the first thing you need to compare, as well as the storage you need for games.
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have 0 experience with Lenovo whatsoever. The old HPs I've had have generally proven themselves reliable, but I haven't owned any newer ones and something about them tends to make me feel they're not as good as they once were.

As far as games are concerned, I play World of Tanks, but I've played on all sorts of computers with awful setups (even a second generation Pentium with built in graphics :D). The best laptop I've used for playing is an Acer E15 with i3 8300U and that works perfectly fine with low settings. It seems to me like either of these would be a significant improvement on that, so that's why I said "casual gaming."

It seems to me that the HP has better battery life, but I could be wrong.

Hey, I just realized the links don't display properly when I click on them. Here are the proper links:
HP: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B09N7HFHNV/ref=twister_B09QT7LZC4?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
Lenovo: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/notebook...4/261-8505894-4747413?pd_rd_i=B09PBSJ41W&th=1

I guess the main reason I'm looking at the HP is because of the better processor (upgrade the RAM/SSD if needed) and the fact that it appears to have been built that way, whereas the Lenovo appears to have been opened and upgraded. I can't really afford to have problems.

Overall, I like the layout of the HP better, but do you think the build quality of the Lenovo is superior enough over the HP to make me go for it? I don't really have experience with new computers from either brand.

Thank you once again.

Any idea about the screen and which one is better. The HP declares boldly that it's IPS, but didn't see anything on the Lenovo, I'm guessing it's TN.

If the Lenovo has the full factory warranty on it, it's fine, I doubt it would be from an authorized seller without that even if it was some upgraded model. Just make sure you have it in writing the warranty is valid on it.

I have not actually seen either of those models in person so no idea how the screen is on them, just going by the specs and the price.