[SOLVED] Advice on buying a GPU so I can finish this build ?

nednerbish

Honorable
Oct 22, 2014
I am NOT(now that I read the rules so I will list everything at the end) attaching a Amazon list of all of the parts that I have purchased so far. I have assembled everything, I powered everything on although I have no graphics card to make sure everything is okay all of the fans turn on it goes through the LEDs showing me that I am missing all of them. But so far so good. I know I should have went a little larger with the PSU but that is not a big deal that's something easily swappable.

My question is now that it is almost impossible to find a reasonably priced GPU I was thinking of bidding or buying one from eBay used. I was hoping to get my hands on a new RTX but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon. I got my $600 government cheese check from the US government and have about 550 left. Any suggestions on a decent GPU that might give me a little extra to purchase a 2 TB h hhd and possibly a little more room to throw in a keyboard mouse combo.

Right now I'm just going to be connecting it to my 55 in 4k smart TV though I know it's not going to be the best but it'll work for now until I can afford one. So I was checking eBay and they have some used gpus that seems semi-reasonable. There are a few that are RTX I think the 2060 or 2070 series that I might be able to purchase but that would cost most of the money I have if not all. Or I was thinking of buying a GTX 1660 super. Which would also cost everything I have and maybe a little bit more. I've been sitting on this mostly built tower for over a month and a half now. And want to get it finished so I can start enjoying it.

Here is the link to my Amazon parts list that I have everything purchased and installed so far.

IDK if I can attach a parts list as I'm tired of having posts taken down elsewhere for doing so. So I'm going to rattle off everything I have so far:

My case is a rosewell prism S series with the four RGB fans,
AMD 5 3600,
MSI b450 tomahawk Maxx mobo,
memory is Corsair vengeance lpx 16 GB 3200 MHz,
and I only bought one storage as that's what I could afford at that time and that is a Western digital black sn750 500 GB gaming nvme SSD for my OS and main applications.
I plan on getting a secondary storage device possibly just a Crucial one to two terabyte SSD, or maybe just a decent 2 terabyte hdd.

So I need thoughts on a GPU I would greatly appreciate as I really want to pop it in hook it up and configure everything. Any thoughts comments criticism is welcome. I know I'm going to get about 10 comments about my PSU I already know this. Other than that please feel free to help someone who basically lost everything 2 years ago. So this is my first build that I'm able to put together something that will run games pretty well. I thought about buying just a 4 GB new GPU as they are only about $250. That would leave me another 300 to upgrade my PSU and by another storage device plus a keyboard and mouse.

Solution
I am NOT(now that I read the rules so I will list everything at the end) attaching a Amazon list of all of the parts that I have purchased so far. I have assembled everything, I powered everything on although I have no graphics card to make sure everything is okay all of the fans turn on it goes through the LEDs showing me that I am missing all of them. But so far so good. I know I should have went a little larger with the PSU but that is not a big deal that's something easily swappable. My question is now that it is almost impossible to find a reasonably priced GPU I was thinking of bidding or buying one from eBay used. I was hoping to get my hands on a new RTX but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon. I got my...
I am NOT(now that I read the rules so I will list everything at the end) attaching a Amazon list of all of the parts that I have purchased so far. I have assembled everything, I powered everything on although I have no graphics card to make sure everything is okay all of the fans turn on it goes through the LEDs showing me that I am missing all of them. But so far so good. I know I should have went a little larger with the PSU but that is not a big deal that's something easily swappable. My question is now that it is almost impossible to find a reasonably priced GPU I was thinking of bidding or buying one from eBay used. I was hoping to get my hands on a new RTX but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon. I got my $600 government cheese check from the US government and have about 550 left. Any suggestions on a decent GPU that might give me a little extra to purchase a 2 TB h hhd and possibly a little more room to throw in a keyboard mouse combo. Right now I'm just going to be connecting it to my 55 in 4k smart TV though I know it's not going to be the best but it'll work for now until I can afford one. So I was checking eBay and they have some used gpus that seems semi-reasonable. There are a few that are RTX I think the 2060 or 2070 series that I might be able to purchase but that would cost most of the money I have if not all. Or I was thinking of buying a GTX 1660 super. Which would also cost everything I have and maybe a little bit more. I've been sitting on this mostly built tower for over a month and a half now. And want to get it finished so I can start enjoying it. Here is the link to my Amazon parts list that I have everything purchased and installed so far.
IDK if I can attach a parts list as I'm tired of having posts taken down elsewhere for doing so. So I'm going to rattle off everything I have so far. My case is a rosewell prism S series with the four RGB fans, AMD 5 3600, MSI b450 tomahawk Maxx mobo, memory is Corsair vengeance lpx 16 GB 3200 MHz, and I only bought one storage as that's what I could afford at that time and that is a Western digital black sn750 500 GB gaming nvme SSD for my OS and main applications. I plan on getting a secondary storage device possibly just a Crucial one to two terabyte SSD, or maybe just a decent 2 terabyte hdd. So I need thoughts on a GPU I would greatly appreciate as I really want to pop it in hook it up and configure everything. Any thoughts comments criticism is welcome. I know I'm going to get about 10 comments about my PSU I already know this. Other than that please feel free to help someone who basically lost everything 2 years ago. So this is my first build that I'm able to put together something that will run games pretty well. I thought about buying just a 4 GB new GPU as they are only about $250. That would leave me another 300 to upgrade my PSU and by another storage device plus a keyboard and mouse.

As much as I'd love to dunk on your PSU (lol just kidding), you didn't actually list it anywhere so I'm not sure how anyone is going to comment on it.

Questions/Suggestions:
  1. Is your 16 GB of RAM 1 x 16 GB or 2 x 8 GB? The difference between the two is very important.
  2. Considering how expensive GPUs are right now, I'd put a storage hard drive on the back burner and try to get the best GPU you can under the circumstances. 500 GB is a decent amount of storage for a couple games for now and you can always add a storage drive later when you run low.
  3. Setting aside the fact that gaming on a TV is less than ideal to begin with due to input lag and no variable refresh rate, the fact that it's a 4k TV means that you can't afford a GPU that is nearly powerful enough to drive a game at 4k resolution. You might be able to play at 4k and cap your frame rate to 30 fps, but even that is pushing it. You'll probably be best off gaming at 1080p.
  4. You don't need a fancy keyboard and mouse to game, something cheap for like $30 will do you just fine. You can always upgrade to something better later when you can afford it.
  5. Basically, you'll just have to try to find the most powerful card you can with the money you have. Of the GPUs you mentioned it goes GTX 1660 Super - RTX 2060 - RTX 2070 from least powerful to most powerful. I'd definitely recommend an RTX GPU if you can afford it; for the games that include it, DLSS (only available on RTX GPUs) does a great job upscaling lower resolutions to 4K to allow GPUs that normally couldn't run 4K to run at 4K: death stranding with DLSS 2.0 quality mode running on a RTX 2060 can run at 4k 60 fps with a better overall picture than even native 4k.

Reactions: nednerbish
Solution

nednerbish

Honorable
Oct 22, 2014
As much as I'd love to dunk kill on your PSU (lol just kidding), you didn't actually list it anywhere so I'm not sure how anyone is going to comment on it.

Questions/Suggestions:
  1. Is your 16 GB of RAM 1 x 16 GB or 2 x 8 GB? The difference between the two is very important.
  2. Considering how expensive GPUs are right now, I'd put a storage hard drive on the back burner and try to get the best GPU you can under the circumstances. 500 GB is a decent amount of storage for a couple games for now and you can always add a storage drive later when you run low.
  3. Setting aside the fact that gaming on a TV is less than ideal to begin with due to input lag and no variable refresh rate, the fact that it's a 4k TV means that you can't afford a GPU that is nearly powerful enough to drive a game at 4k resolution. You might be able to play at 4k and cap your frame rate to 30 fps, but even that is pushing it. You'll probably be best off gaming at 1080p.
  4. You don't need a fancy keyboard and mouse to game, something cheap for like $30 will do you just fine. You can always upgrade to something better later when you can afford it.
  5. Basically, you'll just have to try to find the most powerful card you can with the money you have. Of the GPUs you mentioned it goes GTX 1660 Super - RTX 2060 - RTX 2070 from least powerful to most powerful. I'd definitely recommend an RTX GPU if you can afford it; for the games that include it, DLSS (only available on RTX GPUs) does a great job upscaling lower resolutions to 4K to allow GPUs that normally couldn't run 4K to run at 4K: death stranding with DLSS 2.0 quality mode running on a RTX 2060 can run at 4k 60 fps with a better overall picture than even native 4k.
The second half of my post where it begins "IDK"I just wrote out all of the parts that I purchased and have installed so far."the rosewill case, Corsair memory, Corsair PSU, Ryzen 5 3600, MSI b450 tomahawk Max, Western digital 500 GB nvme... I didn't post any links because on Reddit they took my post down. And on a Facebook group. And it's dual memory to 8 GB Corsair vengeance lpx 320MHz. There's someone local selling a Corsair gold 750 watt PSU I will probably buy it's brand new as the person got one with a combo purchase. My bad I didn't read the number options that you had listed so you did see my parts list. I have $550 to spend right now. So I don't think an RTX is going to happen unless I can find one on eBay and get one during an auction at the last second LOL I was thinking possibly just getting a used GTX 1070.

The second half of my post where it begins "IDK"I just wrote out all of the parts that I purchased and have installed so far."the rosewill case, Corsair memory, Corsair PSU, Ryzen 5 3600, MSI b450 tomahawk Max, Western digital 500 GB nvme... I didn't post any links because on Reddit they took my post down. And on a Facebook group. And it's dual memory to 8 GB Corsair vengeance lpx 320MHz. There's someone local selling a Corsair gold 750 watt PSU I will probably buy it's brand new as the person got one with a combo purchase. My bad I didn't read the number options that you had listed so you did see my parts list. I have $550 to spend right now. So I don't think an RTX is going to happen unless I can find one on eBay and get one during an auction at the last second LOL I was thinking possibly just getting a used GTX 1070.

Ok, so your RAM and your PSU are good then.

If you can find a used RTX card on eBay, I think that would be best; pascal GPUs are starting to show their age in newer games. The 1070 is ok though if you can't find anything better.

Reactions: nednerbish

nednerbish

Honorable
Oct 22, 2014
you can snag a gskill km360 mechanical keyboard for only 50$
decent build quality and clean layout
using one rn
only red switches tho
Thank you VERY much! I'm sold, I watched a few videos on it and I love red switches. With the build I have wrapping up it is black and gray so this will also fit in grea. I finally said screw it and got tired of the gpu game so I bought new Asus tuf GTX 1650 OC (for now) ordered and have about 2 weeks until that shows up and I needed to find one for around $50 as I have $110 left. So That'll leave me enough to buy a 2nd hard drive. So since I have a 500 GB nvme for my OS and applications that are permanent I can find a two terabyte HDD for 50 bucks for my steam collection, pictures, videos, music... So thank you for the recommendation as I am going to order this in the morning I have to go to the bank first but once I do I will order one and I'm very grateful you showed me this! God bless, take care!

Latest posts