Advice on choosing the best Motherboard for the money.

Crazzed

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Hi everyone,

It's me again. I'd like to start by saying that I'm profoundly disappointed by what happened in my last thread (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/332551-10-comparison-2130-6100-phenom) where I asked for advise on CPU choices. (Most) people completely forgot the main goal of the topic (helping ME, not your inflated egos and closed minds) and soon turned it into a typical Intel vs AMD fanboy flamewar/nerd-rage abomination. I'll admit I might be exaggerating or being harsh, but it's really frustrating to come the next day (as soon as I possibly could) and see the thread closed because of general idiots. And what kind of freaking moderator closes the thread as "solved" and appoints a solution without even asking me? For crying out loud...
I still appreciate very much those who tried to actually help.

Anyway, at my own risk and with a lot of skepticism, here I am again, back for more advise. This time on motherboards.

I thought I'd already pretty much dealt with it, but after looking better at my choice I notice the terrible mistake I was about to do by buying a H67 chipset (aka no graphics card support).
My main issue really is a wide variety of selection in the market and not wanting to just buy one randomly. Well, maybe it's far simpler for someone who has more knowledge on the matter, but that's why I'm here anyway :D

My main issue is choosing between the Z68/P67 series and the Z77/H77 one.
So far from what I understand, the Z77/H77's only difference is the USB 3.0 and future Ivy support(?), am I correct? On the the other hand I've been hearing from pretty much everyone online that when choosing between both of them without owning a Z68/P67, it makes much more sense to go for Z77/H77, given that they're the most recent ones.

So, my options are (around the same price):

From Asus (which I would prefer, given it already being the brand of graphics card - though I question if that even matters the slightest bit):

- ASUS P8Z68-V LE: 129,90€
- ASUS P8H77-V: 104,90€

From Gigabyte (which seem to be better and cheeper!):

- GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H: 109€
- GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3: 96€

So as you see I'm going for the 100€ price range (a little more a little less), except for that ASUS Z68 one, which I'd only buy if it was much superior to the other ones. Of course these don't necessarily have to be the only options, if anyone knows of a board that is or should be at the same price range but better, please feel free to suggest.

I'd also really appreciate if someone could explain me the advantages and disadvantages between both series and what's, for instance, the main difference between a Z68 and a P67 or a Z77 and a H77.
Why doesn't ASUS got any Z77/H77 motherboards? And how come GIGABYTE's Z77 and even Z68 are much cheaper? Does GIGABYTE got anything up its sleave?

Well that's it folks and thanks for stopping by, nonetheless ;).
Cheers.

P.S.: Firstly, I'm sorry if I'm being a pain in the arse, but while we're at it, could someone explain me the actual disadvantages of a Micro board (if there's any)?
Thanks.
Secondly, forgive me if I sounded arrogant at the beginning of the thread, specially for a newcomer, but I just really needed to vent.

The biggest difference between the H77/Z77 chipsets and the H67/P67/Z68 is that the "H77/Z77" will have support for the new 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors out of the box, PCI-E 3.0 support and native support from the chipset for USB 3.0. There is some new Lucid Virtu MVP software that is also coming on the "7" series boards. If you are going to use one of the unlocked "K" processors you are going to focus on the P67/Z68 or Z77 chipsets. At this time I would be hard pressed to find a reason not to get a Z77 chipset based board since they are the newest and has the most features and they really aren't costing anything more.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Crazzed

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012

Thank you very much, kind sir, thank you for answering to my plea.

So, like I thought, there's no reason not to buy a "H77/Z77" over the old ones, right?
Then why hasn't Asus launched any of them yet? Well, not that I care that much, in the end it's their loss, but now I'm curious and wondering.

And after looking at my options would you say the GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H (109€) is the best option?

Thanks.

Crazzed

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Anyone else?

Oh man, if on the one hand my CPU thread had too many replies, this one regarding motherboards definitely died young...

Crazzed

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Como on, I'd just need a couple more answers and a few more opinions and I'd be on my way...

Anyone >.>?

TRENDING THREADS