SmokyOni

Prominent
Jun 19, 2023
I'm in a home networking sort of dilemma

-in a two story house, only 1 coax cable running through a wall into the room the pc I'm trying give a wired connection to, is available.

This coax cable is connected into the homes cable modem. and cable modem connected to the router via ethernet.

Now, I'm wondering, will it be sufficient to make a connection to the pc, if i get: a MocA enable router, and one Moca adapter

-then connect the Moca enabled router via ethernet cable

and the coax cable connected in the modem (which may be split in the wall, im not sure how it makes its way upstairs) gets a moca adapter at the end of the coax, and the ethernet from the adapter, to my pc.

Are there any flaws to this plan?

I'm thinking this way (moca enabled router) instead because I dont totally understand how many adapters id need and how to connect them and the router and modem to each other properly if I chose to work with what i got. Plus, I assume it'd be a little simpler when the converter is in the router itself...

but if you can tell me how to work with non moca enabled router and what id hypothetically need and how that works, ill be happy to hear about that too.

any help really appreciated, my head cant keep track of all the wires, im not totally sure what each does / how the conversions happens and stuff.

note: I can't pull an ethernet cable upstairs to the room to make a direct connect, so doing something with coax is my only option.

Last edited:
I have never seen a router with a moca adapter.

They do make modem/router combo units with built in moca. You would need a unit that is compatible with your ISP.

If you would buy a combo unit with moca you would just have to hook a single moca adapter in the remote room and you would get a ethernet connections.

I have never done it that way mostly because I had a pair of moca adapters but people that do it say it is pretty simple.

They key to making this work would be if you could take your cable modem upstairs and it would work. Mostly just the simplest way to confirm everything is cabled together.

Now it might be cheaper to keep your current modem and buy a pair of moca adapters. Gocoax makes a very popular model but their site has very good diagrams on how you cable these. There are options for example for people that need cable tv on the coax in the remote room as well as the moca.

In general you would put a splitter between the modem and the wall and hook the moca up there. You would then connect a ethernet cable between the lan port on your router and the moca unit. The remote end is the same as if you use modem/router combo...you just hook the coax up and a ethernet cable to the pc