[SOLVED] Advice on compatibility gpu.

Mar 2, 2020
Hello, I need advice on what gpu I should get with my current specs.

MOBO - MSI Z97M Gaming
CPU - i5 4690 3.5Ghz
RAM - 1x8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
GPU - GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR5 OC
PSU - Seasonic 750w
HDD - 1TB
SSD - 100GB

I don't have any issues with its performance, it's just that the GPU is no longer working so I'm looking for a GPU that would be compatible with my current specs. I also plan to change my RAM into 2x8GB in the near future, but I am focusing on the GPU only for now. I am interested with the GTX 1060 6GB or GTX 1070 8GB. I only play at 1080p resolution. I actually have a RX 580 4GB, but somehow it is performing worst than my GTX 750 Ti and that is why I think it's probably not compatible or a bottleneck. I do not intend to overclock and I am only looking for a GPU and will not change any of the parts. The game I play most of the time is Closers online, Dragon Nest and some mobile games through emulator. Any advice or suggestion for a GPU I should get is very welcome.

Sorry if there is too much text.

Hello, I need advice on what gpu I should get with my current specs.

MOBO - MSI Z97M Gaming
CPU - i5 4690 3.5Ghz
RAM - 1x8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
GPU - GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR5 OC
PSU - Seasonic 750w
HDD - 1TB
SSD - 100GB

I don't have any issues with its performance, it's just that the GPU is no longer working so I'm looking for a GPU that would be compatible with my current specs. I also plan to change my RAM into 2x8GB in the near future, but I am focusing on the GPU only for now. I am interested with the GTX 1060 6GB or GTX 1070 8GB. I only play at 1080p resolution. I actually have a RX 580 4GB, but somehow it is performing worst than my GTX 750 Ti and that is why I think it's probably not compatible or a bottleneck. I do not intend to overclock and I am only looking for a GPU and will not change any of the parts. The game I play most of the time is Closers online, Dragon Nest and some mobile games through emulator. Any advice or suggestion for a GPU I should get is very welcome.

Sorry if there is too much text.
As far as your RX 580 goes, a clean install of graphics drivers after using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to wipe existing drivers may help if there're conflicts somewhere from your old hardware. Download new graphics drivers direct from AMD.
DDU

I looked at support for your Z97 motherboard and there's been bios updates to improve VGA compatibility. It's possible a bios update could correct the problem. If you decide to do it you should upgrade incrementally and not just take the newest update. Enter your system bios and see what version you have and proceed from there updating one at a time till you are running the latest version. Bios update comes with some risk so be careful. I cannot guarantee this will fix your problem but it's what I would do. If you're not comfortable doing this you should have someone qualified to do it for you.
Z97M Gaming Support

Try DDU and new drivers before any bios updates. It might do the trick.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020
As far as your RX 580 goes, a clean install of graphics drivers after using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to wipe existing drivers may help if there're conflicts somewhere from your old hardware. Download new graphics drivers direct from AMD.
DDU

I looked at support for your Z97 motherboard and there's been bios updates to improve VGA compatibility. It's possible a bios update could correct the problem. If you decide to do it you should upgrade incrementally and not just take the newest update. Enter your system bios and see what version you have and proceed from there updating one at a time till you are running the latest version. Bios update comes with some risk so be careful. I cannot guarantee this will fix your problem but it's what I would do.
Z97M Gaming Support

Try DDU and new drivers before any bios updates. It might do the trick.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I already did the DDU before I mounted the RX 580 and installed the drivers for it, I had problems with performance so I did the DDU again and installed drivers again but the outcome was still the same. So I don't know anymore the drivers.

Regarding the BIOS update maybe I'll try that.

What about a GPU suggestion though that would be compatible with my pc? except for a rx 580.

Mar 2, 2020
Z97 chipset should have no issues with an Rx580 whatsoever. Very common match up for that actually, for 1080p.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($282.91 @ Amazon)

This would be good, on the low end, add a little more for a 2060 or Rx5700

Thank you for your suggestion. Now my options are gtx 1060,1070 and that 1660 ti

Is the RX 580 properly installed? You might install it in the wrong slot or it's not properly seated.

I think it is since it clicked when I mounted it which indicates that is locked in place if I'm not wrong. But it is my first time using a GPU that needs an 8 pin and I also properly inserted it in the PSU and the GPU sockets. Thank you for your input.

Mar 2, 2020
Thank you everyone for the advice and your time.

Now with some research I am eyeing on these cards GTX 1050 Ti, 1060 6GB, 1070,1660 Ti. Now just for confirmation, If I choose one of these cards, is there a card in the options I've chosen that would put my pc in a bad shape like maybe underperforming or bottlenecking? I've chosen multiple cards not only one because of the fact that there is an availability issue and price. I am just confirming cause I have a bad experience with my rx 580 4GB, which I bought without asking anybody and lead me to this predicament.

I will also try to update BIOS before purchasing whatever GPU I will end up choosing. If even after I update the BIOS my issue still remains and would lead me to buying a GPU. Do I have to do anything with the BIOS? Like maybe going back to where it was, like before I updated? or I'll just leave the BIOS updated as is and buy a GPU?

Mar 2, 2020
The lowest power card in those choices is the gtx1050ti. That card is a little stronger than the current gtx750ti. So anything you game could show improvement but wont be any worse.

Unless there's a different issue.

So you mean to say out of those choices only the 1050 Ti is good for my pc?

Thank you so much. I was leaning towards the GTX 1060 6GB and almost about to fall into a trap of thinking that it would be compatible for my pc.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No trap. Your cpu can handle a gtx1080ti without issue. There's no compatability problems r anywhere, shouldn't even be any issues with the Rx580.

There's only 2 concerns with gpus. Budget and psu. Everything else is expectations or wants.

The 1050ti is the lowest power card in your list, can run on a 300w psu. The 1070/1660ti are the strongest and have no issues with 550w. You have a 750w Seasonic, so can use any card upto a RTX2080ti if you wanted.

Question is, just how much you want to spend, has nothing to do with compatibility and just what do you expect out of the card. Any of the above will improve things.

Mar 2, 2020
No trap. Your cpu can handle a gtx1080ti without issue. There's no compatability problems r anywhere, shouldn't even be any issues with the Rx580.

There's only 2 concerns with gpus. Budget and psu. Everything else is expectations or wants.

The 1050ti is the lowest power card in your list, can run on a 300w psu. The 1070/1660ti are the strongest and have no issues with 550w. You have a 750w Seasonic, so can use any card upto a RTX2080ti if you wanted.

Question is, just how much you want to spend, has nothing to do with compatibility and just what do you expect out of the card. Any of the above will improve things.

I get that when you say my pc can handle a gtx 1080ti means I can also run 1070/1060/1660ti etc. Since my psu can handle them all and my budget allows it, I am looking for a GPU that would at least balance out my pc, to be able to play with little to no stuttering. I'm not looking for or expecting a big leap of performance. We are left with the expectations or wants. Regarding wants what I want is to only replace my GTX 750 TI, to be able to play and experience the same or atleast even a very slightly better performance would be great (even if it's just 1 FPS better exaggeratingly speaking). This is what I was expecting when I got the rx 580 4gb, I wasn't expecting a lot better I was only expecting same or atleast tiny bit better and was not expecting to have a worse performance.

Thank you for your reply and time and sorry if there is too much text. I'm trying to word my thoughts.