Advice on Component Compatibility New System Build

xomoc

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Just was looking for some advice on a build I am doing....

I am new to the computer build game, and as such my knowledge is limited. Could someone please let me know if the components will be compatible with one another, and also if this system will be able to handle games such as Crysis 2, BFBC2, Metro 2033, etc....

CPU: Intel® Core i7-950 Processor (8M Cache, 3.06 GHz, 4.80 GT/s Intel® QPI) with Intel Original CPU Heat Sink and Fan

Mobo: MSI X58-M Intel X58 MATX 6 DDR3 1600 SATA FSB 6.4GT/S Audio 1394 GB Lan

Video: EVGA Geforce nVidia GTX460 1GB,256BIT GDDR5,PCI-E2.0X16 DVI X 2, MINI-HDMI Retail

Power: Quality Quiet 550 Watt ATX Power Supply w/Large Fan

Memory: Kingston 4GB (2GB x2) DDR3-1333 RAM

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST3160316AS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

Case: 8197 Deluxe ATX Mid Tower Case 16-3/4

Thanks for any advice or input you may have to offer!!

You should go for the new Intel socket, 1155. You can get an i-5 2500K and a good mobo. You need a good video card. Look around for 2500k/Sandy Bridge threads for ideas or use the template for asking advice that's in the sticky on top of this page.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

I agree, the i7 boards/chips are being replaced. You would be buying technology that is already outdated. The newer 2500k and 2600k chips can outperform the i7-950 so there really isn't any reason to build a new system around that chip. SB boards should be more price competitive as well because they are aimed at "mainstream" users whereas the i7 are aimed at "high end" users - but again when the new SB chips outperform Intels older "high end", that tells you to stick with the new!

I'd also recommend going with a 500 series video card and avoid the 400. The 500 series have a vapor chamber cooling mechanism that keeps temps down better and also keeps noise levels down. Costs a little more but I'd say it's worth it...looks like the clocks are higher as well.

What brand is the power supply you are considering? Personally, I'd recommend Corsair because the last 2 I've bought are great, rated very well and extremely quiet. I bought a 450 watt PSU for an older PC and couldn't believe how quiet it was.

As far as compatibility the most common issue usually deals with incompatible ram with the motherboard. Make sure once you settle on a specific motherboard you visit the manufacturers website and get the list of compatible memory sticks for that board and buy accordingly.