Question Advice On Computer I'm Having Built At CyberPower Site

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariel Schnee

Honorable
Nov 1, 2017
Please keep the build discussion to 1 thread.
I'm customizing a computer at CyberPower.com now.

Here's the build.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1Q40R1

I was thinking of changing the video card to the "GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti 8GB GDDR6X Video Card (Ampere) [VR Ready] (Single Card)". But, I'm not sure it would be worth the extra $ 177. What you think?

I was also thinking of changing the power supply to the "850 Watts - Corsair RM Series RM850 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Fully Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply". It's only an extra $ 22. What you think?

I'm getting this because my Win XP computer can no longer do much on the internet anymore.:( I miss playing "Skyrim" now. And "Mass Effect Legendary Edition" needs Win 10, or higher, to run it.

I'm still going to use my XP computer to play my old games on. And my email program, "Outlook Express 6", won't run on anything higher than XP now. I'll still have uses for XP now.

Last edited:

Ariel Schnee

Honorable
Nov 1, 2017
Ok. You have valid reasons for some choices, which were previously not mentioned, as such. The build is fine in all regards except 1 and it's a deal breaker for me. That's the cpu cooler..

I thought I mentioned it all in the first post. ... I might have to go back and edit it.

Enermax claims a 230w ceiling. That's a fallacy. The cooler has thermal performance that puts it up against the 140w beQuiet DarkRock Slim. Even Aida64 can put it into thermal throttle on an 8700k with less than 200w OC.

I'll put it into perspective. It's a wheelchair built to fit a 6yr old child that claims a 300lb rating. It's not going to work out well for you at all. You have a pretty nice build, that's going to last a good while, but cpu intensive games like heavily modded skyrim are going to put that cooler to the wall. You'll be running high 80's to 90's °C constantly with fans on maximum.

It's rgb fluff, better suited for a 12400, not a 12700k and definitely not even close to comparable to what a 12900k requires.

Someone else told me that the i9 12900K would get really hot then. That's why I switched it to the i7 12700K. This is in the link to my build posted above. Here is the link again. http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1Q6A18 .

Now that you know I have switched to the i7 12700K, do you think it is a good build? Will the i7 12700K do the job, and not get too hot either? Let me know.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The bigger the cpu, the bigger the power consumption. The i3 is the smallest cpu line, the i9 is the biggest. Both get just as hot as each other, the difference being the cooler used. If you use a 140w cooler on the i3, you'll get the same temps as putting a 250w cooler on the i9. The cooling used has to match the power used.

The i9 is said to be a very hot cpu, because it requires the biggest coolers to keep it in check. Put a medium cooler on a big cpu, it'll run very hot, put a big cooler on a medium cpu, it'll never get hot.

It's the main reason Intel doesn't give you a free cooler with its bigger cpus, they don't want to spend the money to supply a cooler that ppl will throw away because it's useless, and ppl won't pay extra for that cooler in the first place if Intel adds money to the price.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I don't have the money. My brother has the money. And he's not willing to go to all that trouble now.

CyberPowerPC will build, and ship, the computer. All my brother has to do is pay them. That is the option that will be taken instead.

I am just a crippled, unemployed, poor girl stuck in a nursing home. Why does everyone think I am rich? Or that I can do practically anything? I am not. I really can't.
All due respect, you've been well advised that rigs/systems they are offering as 'packags' or whatever, are overpriced (considering price of the comprising components elsewhere avialble) and not the best performance you can get with that sum of money. No part of that is off topic I think.

Also as included above a system for the game you mentioned (we don't know what resolution you'll be playing at and what settings and if you have a certain frames per second in mind) and some other games wouldn't really require 2 2TB SSDs. One primary SSD that can be chosen from 1TB cheaper good ones to save some money mayber.

Also I think a good quality 750W power supply unit is enough, RMx750 . That rig doesn't really need a 850W with a 2060. If you'd get some 3070 or above, maybe a 3070Ti then RMx850 is good.

Also that cooler on that CPU is a big no no. I would get a case that can house a 280MM AIO cooler with that CPU.

Some of the cost is because of bling. RGB-lit RAM. They might look nice but lacking lighting is not detrimnetal to the RAM's performance and stability. Also

Yes, purchasing from companies that do pre-builts or do the build themselves is more convineint for the user than getting components and assembling themselves. But I think the point others tried to make above is that the premium they're charging might be kind of high and not justifiable with these components and the prices they're charging (despite the convineince).

Well in your case if the person paying can not for any reason do the assembly, and I'm presuming, you're not experienced in that regard either, the prebuilding by them can be justified.

EDIT: I see there's been other posts while I was tying that intermittently. Good and to the point advice by Karadjgne.

Ariel Schnee

Honorable
Nov 1, 2017
All due respect, you've been well advised that rigs/systems they are offering as 'packags' or whatever, are overpriced (considering price of the comprising components elsewhere avialble) and not the best performance you can get with that sum of money. No part of that is off topic I think.

It's off topic because I had already explained I was getting mine from the CyberPowerPC site. And could not assemble a computer myself. Yet, I kept getting spammed with stuff that's not on the CyberPowerPC site. And told to build it myself instead. That could actually be considered harassment y'know.

Also as included above a system for the game you mentioned (we don't know what resolution you'll be playing at and what settings and if you have a certain frames per second in mind) and some other games wouldn't really require 2 2TB SSDs. One primary SSD that can be chosen from 1TB cheaper good ones to save some money mayber.

I will be running my max resolution at 1024X678 for my Win 10 computer playing games. Refresh rate is 75 Hertz. My Skyrim game (classic, not 64-bit) will have 200+ mods.

One of the 2TB SSDs will be used as the primary drive. The other will be used to store all my NexusMods mods (close to 1 TB already), game emulator games, .mp3s, .mp4s, images, game/screensaver/program installers, etc. on. No sense cluttering up the primary with all of that stuff when there's a secondary.

Also I think a good quality 750W power supply unit is enough, RMx750 . That rig doesn't really need a 850W with a 2060. If you'd get some 3070 or above, maybe a 3070Ti then RMx850 is good.

Better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it.

Also that cooler on that CPU is a big no no. I would get a case that can house a 280MM AIO cooler with that CPU.

I changed the CPU to an i5.

Some of the cost is because of bling. RGB-lit RAM. They might look nice but lacking lighting is not detrimnetal to the RAM's performance and stability. Also

Also what? I heard the "G SKILL Trident Z" is the best memory possible. So, that's what I'm getting.

Yes, purchasing from companies that do pre-builts or do the build themselves is more convineint for the user than getting components and assembling themselves. But I think the point others tried to make above is that the premium they're charging might be kind of high and not justifiable with these components and the prices they're charging (despite the convineince).

My situation is so bad, physically/monetarily/etc., that I am willing to pay for the convenience of them building it for me and shipping it.

Well in your case if the person paying can not for any reason do the assembly, and I'm presuming, you're not experienced in that regard either, the prebuilding by them can be justified.

Glad that you finally see that now.

EDIT: I see there's been other posts while I was tying that intermittently. Good and to the point advice by Karadjgne.

Here's a new build built off of the "Gamer Ultra 6700XT" - http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1Q6APH .

Here's a new build built off of the "Gamer Infinity 8800 Pro" - http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1Q6APP .

Tell me which one is better now. Don't be concerned about the price. It is not important. They're both at a good enough price. I just want the best between them.

EDIT:

There's no overclocking.

EDIT:

I've decided to go with the "Gamer Ultra 6700XT" - http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1Q6APH build because when I select the "i5-12600K" on the "Gamer Infinity 8800 Pro" - http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1Q6APP build it keeps giving me this message "CyberPowerPC recommends you select 240mm CPU cooling or above for optimal performance. ". I don't get that message on the "Gamer Ultra 6700XT" - http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1Q6APH build when I select the "i5-11600K". And, according to https://www.cheats.co/en/sysreq/mass-effect-legendary-edition , the "i5-11600K" is more than good enough to play "Mass Effect Legendary Edition".

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
So you decided to go with the Gamer Ultra 6700XT?
This one http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1Q6APH

Good hardware. Only thing is I persoannyl wouldn't get that air cooler, even with the i5. I would get something like the Corsair Hydro iCUE H100i, now that the case can house the 240mm radiator. Since you're not going to OC the i5 CPU the cooler you chose might be enough too.

EDIT: I'd suggest you wait and see inputs from others too.

Last edited:

Ariel Schnee

Honorable
Nov 1, 2017
So you decided to go with the Gamer Ultra 6700XT?
This one http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1Q6APH

Yes.

Good hardware.

Thanks!^_^

Only thing is I persoannyl wouldn't get that air cooler, even with the i5. I would get something like the Corsair Hydro iCUE H100i, now that the case can house the 240mm radiator. Since you're not going to OC the i5 CPU the cooler you chose might be enough too.

I have already stated many times I will not use liquid cooling. I will only use air cooling. Why does no one grasp this fact?

And the one I chose is the best air cooler on there. Compared to the other two. And with the case being a "High Air Flow" case... It should be enough. Hopefully.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 12600k build, any of them. It's roughly 10% better cpu than an 11700k across the board, and the 11700k is somewhat better than a 11600k. That's the kind of discrepancy you get with going 12th gen, they are that good. Huge general improvement over 11th or 10th Gen cpus.

1024x768 resolution? Wow that's an old monitor, I haven't seen one of those since I retired my old CRT years ago. Can't even find a working 4:3 TV nowadays lol.

Even a really cheap 1080p monitor does wonders for skyrim, especially once you get into the high-poly heads. Most mods I had was just over 400, but my old 3770k did not like that at all, even hugely overclocked. Now I'm running 180± mostly hdt-smp armors, 3b/BBBA high poly and everything Serana/Valrica I can find.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
I have already stated many times I will not use liquid cooling. I will only use air cooling. Why does no one grasp this fact?
You are being somewhat unreasonable and rude. You haven't given any reasons why you despise liquid cooling. People are trying to help you get the best PC for your money. Considering you didn't know what an SSD is you should open your mind a bit because it might be helpful as people here have a lot of PC knowledge.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, while I can somewhat agree to opinions, I can also sympathize with the Op, and it is her post, her decision, and there's no need for any antagonism or bullying. Posters are here to help Op come to an informed decision, and has every right to make up her own mind, after all info is given.

Calling someone unreasonable and rude is getting personal, and will not be tolerated. And that's not just my opinion, it's Policy and will be enforced.

So play nice.

Reactions: boju
Mar 3, 2022
Hello, I made this account just for Ariel because I like crippled anime girls in nursing homes. I don't know much about computers but recently bought a CyberPowerPC so let me give some tips specific to how their insidious gimmicky website works.

1. Do not forget to use the 5% off discount coupon. If you didn't know about it, go find it.
  2. Do not be tricked by their fake "Winter Sale" or "March Sale" etc. Every day is a fake sale.
  3. Do not be tricked by their fake Daily Deal. It is very useful, but cycles every week. One of the better days in my opinion is the free 32 GB RAM upgrade.
  4. Do not purchase useless things like Thermal Compound, Professional Wiring, Safe Packaging, USB Recovery. You will probably get these things by default even if you did not buy them.
  5. It is best if you do not focus on specific manufacturer brands for anything like RAM, motherboard, GPU. They can change it to whatever they randomly have on hand. If you are willing to roll dice, select the cheapest one that suits your purposes. I nearly got a different brand everything from what I ordered.
  6. You can customize your build, but try to start with one that is closest to your final build. You pay a surcharge for every upgrade you make, and you don't get the refund you deserve for every downgrade. That is why your build price isn't so impressive.
  7. Choose a really cheap and a super expensive PC build to start with. Select every upgrade/downgrade you are considering on both. Check if the +/- price is the same. If it is close, you can make that upgrade. If you see that one is way more expensive than the other, that's a warning sign you are being screwed in the butt. Try to minimize such changes if possible.
  8. Consider changing to components that are TRULY on sale. These are hidden, naturally. One of the identifiers is if the item says HOT and "$100 Instant Rebate" or whatever. They might even be the same items in your default build but cheaper if selected that way.
  9. Some bargain items have no way to identify them. Just take a good look at cheap components. Sometimes they became that way because they are trying to get rid of a certain case, etc.
  10. CyberPowerPC prebuilts are also sold at Best Buy and other places. You cannot customize these, and on average the prices are slightly worse than the CyberPower website. But when they go on Sale at Best Buy, you will get huge bargains. They have RTX 2060 models still in stock. If you see one you can live with, spy on it for a while until you see it go on Sale, then buy quick before it sells out. Return policy is much better at Best Buy in case you get broken stuff.

For $2500, I got an i7-12700k, GeForce RTX 3080, 32 GB RAM, 1 GB SSD, 4 GB HDD, 360mm cooler, 1000W modular power supply, Windows 10, RGB mouse, two RGB keyboards, and gaming headset.

With the current sales, I could do even better. The GeForce RTX 3070 Ti is currently the best bargain on sale at CyberPowerPC, and was also just $1800 at Best Buy but sold out in a few days.

Ariel Schnee

Honorable
Nov 1, 2017
Do not purchase useless things like Thermal Compound, Professional Wiring, Safe Packaging, USB Recovery. You will probably get these things by default even if you did not buy them.

Windows 10 Recovery USB: $ 9.00

This seems like it would be needed in case my computer got virused. And I needed to reinstall things. In my day you always made sure to have recovery CDs.

Professional Cable Wiring Care: "Ensures all cables are optimally routed and secured to prevent loose connections and provides an immaculate and organized look for your system." $ 19.00

This sounds like it would be good. But... I'm not sure.

CPU Thermal Compound: "Our Cooler Master MASTERGEL High Performance Thermal Compound can improve cooling performance as well as prolong the life of your CPU." $ 10.00

Wouldn't prolonging the life of the CPU be a good idea? This sounds like it would be a good thing. Why wouldn't it be good?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Windows is free. Has been for several years now. You can download it for free, store it for free, everything about Windows is free. What you are paying extra $ for is convenience. The download is already done, it's gone through the media tool and is on a USB stick already. That's what your $9 gets you.

CM Master Gel is very decent paste. But so is whatever comes with the cooler originally or whatever is 'non-premium'. For all intents and purposes, moving up in paste quality gets you maybe 1-2°C cooler, but is generally easier to clean up, spreads easier on cooler install etc. You as a pre-built owner will not really see any benefit on the back end, but the installer, or fixer (if it needs) will be happier.

Cpus left to their own devices and operated within normal parameters will physically last well beyond 20 years. Small amount of maintenance required (like changing paste every 6 years or do, regular dusting of cooler etc). Software will make the cpu obsolete long before its ready to roll over and die. Normally. Good paste will not change that since it doesn't affect temps enough to make a difference. It's a valid claim, if it prolongs the cpu for a minute longer, but that's a moot point overall. More of a sales gimmick than provable reality.

If you spend $50k for a luxury car, it should be a given that it'd come with the luxury upgrades, like a leather wrapped steering wheel. Paying extra for what should be at $2k+ for a pc, it's just dirty pool. If CPPC had any real pride in its workmanship, neatly managed cables would be a minimum standard, not an extra charge or a luxury addition.

Last edited:

Ariel Schnee

Honorable
Nov 1, 2017
Windows is free. Has been for several years now. You can download it for free, store it for free, everything about Windows is free. What you are paying extra $ for is convenience. The download is already done, it's gone through the media tool and is on a USB stick already. That's what your $9 gets you.

Still getting it.

CM Master Gel is very decent paste. But so is whatever comes with the cooler originally or whatever is 'non-premium'. For all intents and purposes, moving up in paste quality gets you maybe 1-2°C cooler, but is generally easier to clean up, spreads easier on cooler install etc. You as a pre-built owner will not really see any benefit on the back end, but the installer, or fixer (if it needs) will be happier.

Cpus left to their own devices and operated within normal parameters will physically last well beyond 20 years. Small amount of maintenance required (like changing paste every 6 years or do, regular dusting of cooler etc). Software will make the cpu obsolete long before its ready to roll over and die. Normally. Good paste will not change that since it doesn't affect temps enough to make a difference. It's a valid claim, if it prolongs the cpu for a minute longer, but that's a moot point overall. More of a sales gimmick than provable reality.

If you spend $50k for a luxury car, it should be a given that it'd come with the luxury upgrades, like a leather wrapped steering wheel. Paying extra for what should be at $2k+ for a pc, it's just dirty pool. If CPPC had any real pride in its workmanship, neatly managed cables would be a minimum standard, not an extra charge or a luxury addition.

Ok. I'll skip the paste. ...

You didn't mention the wiring.

Mar 3, 2022
I also always made recovery CDs and selected the recovery USB at first, but later changed my mind when I checked how things were these days. Nowdays you download Windows 10 on put it on a USB stick yourself. You are paying $9 for a USB stick that is probably going to be 8 GB in size, when you could purchase a 32 GB stick for $4 elsewhere and copy fresh Windows to it yourself.

I guarantee the wiring and general build care will be exactly the same (randomly mediocre-to-excellent) whether you purchase that or not. I checked a lot of reddit posts to see other experiences with CyberPowerPC assembly quality versus that option. As with many other things with CyberPowerPC, you can only pray. Accepting this fact will save you money.

You might get the exact same paste whether you select that or not. After a few years the paste will dry up no matter what brand you used. It turns into like this rubber. Most people will never replace the paste to keep it liquid, and it works okay enough as a solid rubber effectively forever. If you are going to be using a rubber anyway, why bother paying for a more expensive paste?

As for the shipping packaging, you may officially get that whether you pay for it or not. After they build your PC they send you a second invoice that is more accurate to what they actually put in your PC. This second invoice will officially give you the shipping packaging for free. If not, you still might get it for free. If not, and your PC arrives damaged, it should be on them to fix it.

www.bestbuy.com/site/combo/gaming-desktops/6083cd55-7bcd-42c7-a8b0-50aaa7dfb22c

This one might be a better deal for you, since you might want a monitor upgrade. Ryzen 5700G with GeForce 2060 and 24" monitor for $1630. The case is pretty, it's the same one I got. It even comes with integrated graphics on the Ryzen which should be respectably powerful. You'll be able to play games decently even if your GeForce breaks.

Most people use two (or many) monitors these days for who knows what. You will want a higher resolution 4K monitor to take advantage of your new PC, and you can use your old monitor as a secondary screen.

Wait, that Best Buy monitor is not 4K. It will still be 1080p vs 900p on your current monitor. There is also an i5-11600F and GeForce 2060 for $1150. You could wait for it to drop to $1000 on sale and purchase a 4K monitor separately to go with it.

Last edited:
I'd switch to a 12700K/KF for a few reasons, money saved and a 240mm AIO for that i9 is borderline.
This is what I meant to link to. The link didn't save properly when I first posted.
comes with:
12600kf CPU
CPU Air cooler
3070 ti GC
MSI mag z690 wifi MOBO
2x8 gb 3200 RAM
Corsair RMx 750w PSU
Phanteks P400a Digital Case
1 tb WD 570 NVMe SSD (boot drive)
2 tb Samsung 870 QVO (storage)
144hz 1080p ASUS Monitor with G-Sync comp
50 dollar amex card
free mouse and KB
USB recovery drive
Shipping foam insert
2685 as configured.

Can remove the monitor for 217 dollars less.

Reactions: Why_Me

Ariel Schnee

Honorable
Nov 1, 2017

I have had extremely bad experiences with AMD. So, I always go Intel. So thanks for the link, but no.

Also, as I have already explained, I can only get from CyberPowerPC now. Please stop suggesting other sites to me. I cannot do anything with them now.

Something like with would be very nice if you still have not pulled the trigger. I cannot tell if you purchased yet because of the ongoing discussions.
The link didn't carry over right

No. It won't work. The case has no fan, it doesn't have an "i5-11600K", the monitor is too large for the space I have, it won't let me select Windows 10 Pro (64-bit Edition), and... . I just closed the page at that point. No sense going on with it.

Here is the build I will be getting. http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1Q6CF0 . Subtotal: $ 2,349.00 / Shipping: $ 0.00 / Tax: $ 245.24 / Total: $ 2,594.24 . I just have to wait until my brother gets the money. ... Could be awhile.

I have had extremely bad experiences with AMD. So, I always go Intel. So thanks for the link, but no.

Also, as I have already explained, I can only get from CyberPowerPC now. Please stop suggesting other sites to me. I cannot do anything with them now.

No. It won't work. The case has no fan, it doesn't have an "i5-11600K", the monitor is too large for the space I have, it won't let me select Windows 10 Pro (64-bit Edition), and... . I just closed the page at that point. No sense going on with it.

Here is the build I will be getting. http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1Q6CF0 . Subtotal: $ 2,349.00 / Shipping: $ 0.00 / Tax: $ 245.24 / Total: $ 2,594.24 . I just have to wait until my brother gets the money. ... Could be awhile.
All is fair except there is a few misunderstandings somewhere.

The 11600k is not worth getting when the 12600k is an option, this is a fact when they are similarly priced, no opinion can change that. The air cooler is enough for stock operation on the 12600k, also a fact, others have had you worried about cooling when the included air cooler with the build is good enough.

The build you provided also comes with a RTX 2060. The 3070 ti in my build is about 95% faster.

The case I included definitely comes with plenty of fans and is one of the best high airflow cases on the market. Where did you get the impression that the Phanteks P400a Digital had any issues with fans or cooling?

If you were to look Win10 Pro is an option. Why do you need Win10 Pro? The upgrade process from Win10 home home to pro is relatively smooth as it required zero hardware knowledge or tinkering. If you actually need the additional functionality give me an example.

The monitor can be removed from the list in 1 click. What kind of space do you have that a 24 inch monitor cannot fit into to begin with?

On a side note how is it even possible you are using a 4:3 aspect ratio 1024X768 monitor? They made these nearly 2 decades ago and they require VGA or older connectors. You would have to use an active adapter to even use a modern Graphics card with that display.

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me

Ariel Schnee

Honorable
Nov 1, 2017
All is fair except there is a few misunderstandings somewhere.

This (https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower-Z690-i9-Configurator) is what I was reviewing. It's what your link lead to. So it's what I reviewed.

The 11600k is not worth getting when the 12600k is an option, this is a fact when they are similarly priced, no opinion can change that. The air cooler is enough for stock operation on the 12600k, also a fact, others have had you worried about cooling when the included air cooler with the build is good enough.

The i5-12600K is not really needed by me now. The i5-11600K is more than enough to meet my needs. I don't really need a powerful i5-12600K.

The build you provided also comes with a RTX 2060. The 3070 ti in my build is about 95% faster.

Sighs I have explained many times in this thread that I need a card with a dVi-D output. And I've explained why. The 30s series has no dVi-D output. It's useless to me now.

The case I included definitely comes with plenty of fans and is one of the best high airflow cases on the market. Where did you get the impression that the Phanteks P400a Digital had any issues with fans or cooling?

I was reviewing the unmodified link there.

If you were to look Win10 Pro is an option. Why do you need Win10 Pro? The upgrade process from Win10 home home to pro is relatively smooth as it required zero hardware knowledge or tinkering. If you actually need the additional functionality give me an example.

Why settle for Home when you can get Pro?

Really.

I would like to hear your explanation for why I should settle for a lesser version of Win 10.

The monitor can be removed from the list in 1 click. What kind of space do you have that a 24 inch monitor cannot fit into to begin with?

A very, very, very cluttered desk I'm using.

On a side note how is it even possible you are using a 4:3 aspect ratio 1024X768 monitor? They made these nearly 2 decades ago and they require VGA or older connectors. You would have to use an active adapter to even use a modern Graphics card with that display.

This is the monitor I am using. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01768601 . If you had read the whole thread, you would know why I am using it. Because, I have nothing else. And CyberPowerPC is not offering monitors small enough to fit on this desk like I can get this one to fit.

I have my resolution set at "640 x 480 @ 75 Hz" because I have very poor eyesight. I set it to "1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz" for gaming. Then when I want to do something else, I set it back to "640 x 480 @ 75 Hz". This works fine for me, and is no trouble.

For game like Skyrim, Mass Effect, and any Steam game I set it to "1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz". For games played with my NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, PS1, PS2, and other console emulators I set it at "640 x 480 @ 75 Hz". I use the same setting to read fanfics since a low resolution is good for my poor eyesight which can barely see now.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan

USAFRet

Titan
Windows 10 Recovery USB: $ 9.00
Assuming you have a spare flash drive laying around, you make this yourself, for free.
You'll have to make a new one anyway...what is on the one you get from CyberPower will be outdated in 6 months.

Professional Cable Wiring Care:
Ah yes, CBP assembly.
Their "normal" assembly is done by a 19 year old intern, with 2 weeks on the job, working through a Monday morning hangover.
The Pro wiring is the same person, on Tuesday.

What they're really saying is: "Our assembly sux, so pay us extra to hopefully get it right. Maybe."

CPU Thermal Compound:
No better or worse than whatever comes preapplied on whatever cooler this comes with.
There is surprisingly little difference in thermal paste.

Mar 3, 2022
Just to clarify, the Best Buy prebuilts that I linked to previously are also by CyberPowerPC. You can't customize those to your liking, but the prices can be good, sometimes.

I can only get from CyberPowerPC now. Please stop suggesting other sites to me. I cannot do anything with them now.

Don't forget to use the 5% coupon applicable only on CyberPowerPC website. Everyone uses it. Your PC is actually 5% cheaper than your Subtotal.

And assuming you don't want a free upgrade to 32 GB RAM (available twice per week) the next best Daily Deal is $50 off any computer (available three times per week). So your CyberPowerPC from their website is really ($2,349 - $50) * 0.95 = $2184 (plus tax)

Are you sure you need two 2 TB SSD? Most people get a smaller SSD drive for all your programs and games, and a larger traditional HDD for media storage. If you get a 1 TB SSD + 4 TB HDD like I did, you will save $220 on CyberPowerPC website. Choose "1TB WD Blue SN570 PCIe NVMe SSD + 4TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo (Combo Drive)"

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Are you sure you need two 2 TB SSD? Most people get a smaller SSD drive for all your programs and games, and a larger traditional HDD for media storage. If you get a 1 TB SSD + 4 TB HDD like I did, you will save $220 on CyberPowerPC website. Choose "1TB WD Blue SN570 PCIe NVMe SSD + 4TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo (Combo Drive)"

It's skyrim. With the 3x DLC's and several hundred mods, with zip files, it's seriously large. Understand, Op is for all intents and purposes bed-bound as far as things go, so the pc is a reach to the outside world, whether that's real or fantasy. Games and other such pc pastimes occupy a large portion of good days. Last thing Op wants is HDD speeds with map transitions, which happens frequently in cities, entering/exiting etc.

SSD is definitely worth the price.

Ariel Schnee

Honorable
Nov 1, 2017
Just to clarify, the Best Buy prebuilts that I linked to previously are also by CyberPowerPC. You can't customize those to your liking, but the prices can be good, sometimes.

"can't customize those". Then they are of no use to me. None.

Don't forget to use the 5% coupon applicable only on CyberPowerPC website. Everyone uses it. Your PC is actually 5% cheaper than your Subtotal.

How do I do that?

And assuming you don't want a free upgrade to 32 GB RAM (available twice per week)

Free RAM upgrade?! Why didn't someone mention that before? So, what you're saying is they would freely upgrade my "16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/4000MHz Dual Channel Memory (GSKILL Trident Z RGB)" to "32GB (8GBx4) DDR4/4000MHz Dual Channel Memory (GSKILL Trident Z RGB)"? Free? That would save me $ 262 there.

the next best Daily Deal is $50 off any computer (available three times per week). So your CyberPowerPC from their website is really ($2,349 - $50) * 0.95 = $2184 (plus tax)

And how do I get that?

SSD is the way of the future. HDD is a thing of the past. Let me explain. SSD=Powerful muscle car. HDD=Old Ford Model T car.

It's skyrim. With the 3x DLC's and several hundred mods, with zip files, it's seriously large. Understand, Op is for all intents and purposes bed-bound as far as things go, so the pc is a reach to the outside world, whether that's real or fantasy. Games and other such pc pastimes occupy a large portion of good days. Last thing Op wants is HDD speeds with map transitions, which happens frequently in cities, entering/exiting etc.

SSD is definitely worth the price.

Finally. Someone gets it.^_^ Skyrim, Skyrim 64-bit, and Mass Effect (Trilogy/Legendary Edition) screen transitions would be much better on a SSD than on a HDD which is slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS