Question Advice On Computer I'm Having Built At CyberPower Site

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariel Schnee

Honorable
Nov 1, 2017
Please keep the build discussion to 1 thread.
I'm customizing a computer at CyberPower.com now.

Here's the build.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1Q40R1

I was thinking of changing the video card to the "GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti 8GB GDDR6X Video Card (Ampere) [VR Ready] (Single Card)". But, I'm not sure it would be worth the extra $ 177. What you think?

I was also thinking of changing the power supply to the "850 Watts - Corsair RM Series RM850 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Fully Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply". It's only an extra $ 22. What you think?

I'm getting this because my Win XP computer can no longer do much on the internet anymore.:( I miss playing "Skyrim" now. And "Mass Effect Legendary Edition" needs Win 10, or higher, to run it.

I'm still going to use my XP computer to play my old games on. And my email program, "Outlook Express 6", won't run on anything higher than XP now. I'll still have uses for XP now.

Last edited:

Sidepiece86

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
I don't have the money. My brother has the money. And he's not willing to go to all that trouble now.

CyberPowerPC will build, and ship, the computer. All my brother has to do is pay them. That is the option that will be taken instead.

I am just a crippled, unemployed, poor girl stuck in a nursing home. Why does everyone think I am rich? Or that I can do practically anything? I am not. I really can't.
Do what makes you happy. 16 gigs of ram @ 3200Mhz is all you need. Gaming is not going to use up all the memory. Disable all the startup apps in your settings to free up ram. Most games (almost all games) aren't going to need 8 cores but if you want 8 or more then go for it. You don't need a high end cpu if you're not rendering or doing extremely heavy work loads. I game with a i7 10700k (3.8 base clock but I run mine at 5.1 all core) Clock speed on a cpu is more important than core count for gaming. I'd like to upgrade gpus from a 1070 to maybe a 3070 but if you're not competitive in your gaming then anything over 144 frames per second is overkill. Don't fall for high fps marketing.. Save money where you can. Windows 11 is still buggy and not that great. 12th gen intel is awesome but not needed for gaming. You want ssd for storage. Get a low capacity ssd for your c drive and only put windows on it so your pc boots and loads faster. Store your games and other programs on a separate ssd. Maybe a 1tb ssd for games and programs and a 250Gb for windows alone so it has room left over because some of the things you install put files and things on your c drive. Get a case that allows airflow. Gamers nexus on YouTube has lots of case reviews. See if any are available on the site you mentioned. Don't fall for gimmicks. People try to push high end products on everyone. I get 70+fps with my 1070 on assassins creed odyssey just by lowering the cloud quality. I get anywhere from 150-200fps on black ops cold war depending on the map just by tweaking a few graphics settings. Anything over an rtx 3070 is basically overkill for just about anything but the most demanding games. Run 1440p or 1080p with ray tracing off. No need in getting the most overkill setup there is. Most gamers use i5s and i7s because we don't need the biggest and baddest. The biggest things are cooling, clock speed, ram and storage. A 3060 or in today's market a rx 6600xt is fine. If you build a monster pc you're paying huge amounts in some areas for gains that are almost insignificant. $100 more for this and you get 9 more fps. Do your research before deciding

Buy yourself a monitor made in the last decade.
They said a small sized monitor is required. I linked a 24 inch Asus that's 1080p and 165hz but they didn't want anything to do with it. This person wants what they want and made up their mind on things before they completely understood what was being talked about. Its no skin off my back if they want to pay 2350 for an 11600k (20% slower vs 12600k) and a 2060 (50% slower vs 3070ti) with uselessly fast and egregiously expensive 4000 mghz RAM to play games on a 1024X768 monitor with a 75hz panel.

If they cared to take any advice given they would get a new monitor even if in meant making an extra 2 inches of space to either side of their old monitor and would get a 12600k with a 3070 ti for the same price as the build they're hung up on now.

As far as 2 x 2tb SSD's go the OP definitely needs at least one of them if not both for their use case, so nothing wrong there.

They definitely only needs a 750w PSU with the build he selected and even the one I selected with a 12600k and a 3070 ti will be fine on 750 for the rest of that computers lifetime.

The air cooler as I have said is perfectly reasonable to use on 12600k with no issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: drivinfast247
Mar 3, 2022
Wow, how big is Skyrim (fully bloated/modded/whatever)? I can't believe it would be 4 TB in size. Okay it might be dang huge, but unless Ariel plays lots of different, huge games I'm guessing a 1 TB SSD would still be enough? Someone who plays very few games in a dedicated manner (this includes myself) usually won't need a giant SSD no matter how big each game is. You can always uninstall games you don't actively play anymore and keep your saves, and download the game again if you ever feel like playing again.

"Sorry, we can't load the following option(s) due to price difference or item availability:

Please review your configuration."

What's that about?
Ariel, most likely what happened is that certain components in your build changed in price (either going into or ending a sale, and this could be secret and not obviously displayed). My own CyberPowerPC went up and down in price by +/- $100 in the weeks after I ordered.

I mentioned various CyberPowerPC website tricks in my first post. Although I didn't explain them well, I recommend glancing at that post again.

To see the Daily Deal, just go to www.cyberpowerpc.com front page. You will get it automatically if you order on that day. Do not use your shopping cart. The Daily Deals are a gimmick designed to make you panic and order, but actually cycle weekly.

Yes indeed, on the 32 GB RAM day, you will get a free increase to 32 GB of RAM. Not only that, but the brand and speed of the RAM can change. I got a free upgrade from 16 GB 3200 MHz ugly white RAM sticks to 32 GB 3600 MHz black RGB shiny RAM sticks.

This month they have only been giving a free upgrade to 32 GB 3200 MHz ugly white RAM sticks. Since you aren't ordering immediately this doesn't matter. When you are close to ordering, check the free RAM then. Maybe it will be your 4000 MHz RAM. But if you see my free 3600 MHz shiny RGB RAM, I'd say go with that.

To see the 5% coupon code, click on the Daily Deal. There are probably other ways to find the coupon. The name changes but this 5% is always present. This is another evil site gimmick. Everyone uses this coupon, except you. Fortunately, I saved you.

Ariel Schnee

Honorable
Nov 1, 2017
They said a small sized monitor is required. I linked a 24 inch Asus that's 1080p and 165hz but they didn't want anything to do with it. This person wants what they want and made up their mind on things before they completely understood what was being talked about. Its no skin off my back if they want to pay 2350 for an 11600k (20% slower vs 12600k) and a 2060 (50% slower vs 3070ti) with uselessly fast and egregiously expensive 4000 mghz RAM to play games on a 1024X768 monitor with a 75hz panel.

Quit insulting the choices I have made.

If they cared to take any advice given they would get a new monitor even if in meant making an extra 2 inches of space to either side of their old monitor and would get a 12600k with a 3070 ti for the same price as the build they're hung up on now.

I have taken much advice. I got a new case on advice to get one that had an increased airflow. So don't tell me that I haven't taken advice when I have indeed taken advice. Just really don't. Or I'll rabbit kick you in the balls now.

As far as 2 x 2tb SSD's go the OP definitely needs at least one of them if not both for their use case, so nothing wrong there.

Glad you see some reason on here.

She

definitely only needs a 750w PSU

I'm quite happy with the Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold that I have chosen now.

with the build he

she

selected and even the one I selected with a 12600k and a 3070 ti will be fine on 750 for the rest of that computers lifetime.

I don't want a 12600K. And as for the 3070 ti. I have already made clear that I need a card with a dVi-D output. The 30 series doesn't have that output. Stop telling me to get useless things.

The air cooler as I have said is perfectly reasonable to use on 12600k with no issues.

The i5-11600K is more than good enough.

Wow, how big is Skyrim (fully bloated/modded/whatever)? I can't believe it would be 4 TB in size. Okay it might be dang huge, but unless Ariel plays lots of different, huge games I'm guessing a 1 TB SSD would still be enough? Someone who plays very few games in a dedicated manner (this includes myself) usually won't need a giant SSD no matter how big each game is. You can always uninstall games you don't actively play anymore and keep your saves, and download the game again if you ever feel like playing again.

You forget Skyrim is not the only game I will be playing. There is also "Dragon Age Origins - Awakening", "Mass Effect Legendary", The "Fallout" series, the mods for all of those going up into many GB, and lots of other Steam games. Then the console emulator games. Then the visual novels. Then the hidden items games. Then the .mp3s. Then the .mp4s.

Ariel, most likely what happened is that certain components in your build changed in price (either going into or ending a sale, and this could be secret and not obviously displayed). My own CyberPowerPC went up and down in price by +/- $100 in the weeks after I ordered.

Ah.

I mentioned various CyberPowerPC website tricks in my first post. Although I didn't explain them well, I recommend glancing at that post again.

To see the Daily Deal, just go to www.cyberpowerpc.com front page. You will get it automatically if you order on that day. Do not use your shopping cart. The Daily Deals are a gimmick designed to make you panic and order, but actually cycle weekly.

Oh.

Yes indeed, on the 32 GB RAM day, you will get a free increase to 32 GB of RAM. Not only that, but the brand and speed of the RAM can change. I got a free upgrade from 16 GB 3200 MHz ugly white RAM sticks to 32 GB 3600 MHz black RGB shiny RAM sticks.

This month they have only been giving a free upgrade to 32 GB 3200 MHz ugly white RAM sticks. Since you aren't ordering immediately this doesn't matter. When you are close to ordering, check the free RAM then. Maybe it will be your 4000 MHz RAM. But if you see my free 3600 MHz shiny RGB RAM, I'd say go with that.

I'll just make sure to do it on a day they're not offering that upgrade. I don't want them to give me the wrong MHz. Or something that is not GSKILL Trident Z.

To see the 5% coupon code, click on the Daily Deal. There are probably other ways to find the coupon. The name changes but this 5% is always present. This is another evil site gimmick. Everyone uses this coupon, except you. Fortunately, I saved you.

Yes. You did save me there. Thanks!^_^ "MARCH" "5%" "$ -117.45". This could turn out pretty good here.

I had since edited to they a long time ago after I noticed the mistake. I am not insulting your decisions of the parts, I was telling you the facts of the differential in performance. The only thing I insinuated was that you made up your mind and it seems that no facts about the choices you made are going to change your mind over to the higher performant parts. For the 3070 ti vs the 2060, you can get an adapter for any port you require with the DisplayPort or HDMI as the source on the card. Getting something worse for the same money is just bullheaded at the least. Like I said though its your money and you can do with it what you may. I hope everything works out for you as you need it.

This (https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower-Z690-i9-Configurator) is what I was reviewing. It's what your link lead to. So it's what I reviewed.

The i5-12600K is not really needed by me now. The i5-11600K is more than enough to meet my needs. I don't really need a powerful i5-12600K.

Sighs I have explained many times in this thread that I need a card with a dVi-D output. And I've explained why. The 30s series has no dVi-D output. It's useless to me now.

I was reviewing the unmodified link there.

Why settle for Home when you can get Pro?

Really.

I would like to hear your explanation for why I should settle for a lesser version of Win 10.

A very, very, very cluttered desk I'm using.

This is the monitor I am using. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01768601 . If you had read the whole thread, you would know why I am using it. Because, I have nothing else. And CyberPowerPC is not offering monitors small enough to fit on this desk like I can get this one to fit.

I have my resolution set at "640 x 480 @ 75 Hz" because I have very poor eyesight. I set it to "1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz" for gaming. Then when I want to do something else, I set it back to "640 x 480 @ 75 Hz". This works fine for me, and is no trouble.

For game like Skyrim, Mass Effect, and any Steam game I set it to "1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz". For games played with my NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, PS1, PS2, and other console emulators I set it at "640 x 480 @ 75 Hz". I use the same setting to read fanfics since a low resolution is good for my poor eyesight which can barely see now.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824475176
MSI Optix MAG2732 27" Full HD 1920 x 1080 165 Hz HDMI, DisplayPort, USB, Audio G-Sync Compatible IPS Gaming Monitor $219.99

https://ca.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG2732

Mar 3, 2022
I'm going to start testing my CyberPowerPC in the next few days. As mentioned before, I didn't pay for any of the extras. The wiring I got seemed to be about as neat and professional as possible. Getting a Corsair modular power supply helped with that.

My computer has minor problems with building choices though. They have the liquid cooler tubes coming out the wrong direction, so it is smashing into the 4 RAM sticks and making them press into each other. They put the 360mm radiator at the top which is what I wanted, but it is pressing into some power supply cables for the motherboard. As a result, something may be warped, and one of the fans is missing a screw, with a visible gap between that fan and the radiator.

The huge Gigabyte 3080 Gaming is also sagging like crazy. It's both crooked and bent. It was protected well during shipping though, as I officially got the GPU foam protection for free. So hopefully it will work upon startup.

New build here. Decided to change the secondary drive to "2TB (2TBx1) WD Black SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD" since I'm just going to be using it for storage of mods and things.
Looks like you were smarter than me here. You paid more to make sure you got the correct brand and specs of hard disk you wanted.

I ended up getting one of those unlabeled, worthless ASMR hard drives that I recently learned about (ironically, it started from studying the CyberPowerPC website and noticing oddities in current hard disk pricing patterns). If I had purchased this CyberPower prebuilt at Best Buy then I might have been screwed. Fortunately, my CyberPower custom order and custom final invoice have a bit more information, and the specs of this drive do NOT match what I ordered, or even what was claimed to have been put into my PC.

So probably next week I'll be having some discussions with their customer service. I have heard that CyberPowerPC has poor return/exchange policies that usually require the customer to pay return shipping. Hopefully they will resolve this situation to my satisfaction, as I don't want to have to resort to other methods of getting a fair customer experience.

New build here. http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1Q6N3A . After reading this page https://www.techpowerup.com/cpu-specs/core-i5-11600k.c2400 , and learning the i5-11600K is only capable of DDR4 3200 MHz, I switched the memory over to that.
The 11600k is more than capable with decent motherboard to use 4000 mghz RAM that you selected. XMP is a memory profiling system that allows easy one click setup for RAM that is supported on the motherboard you choose to go beyond the intel memory specification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS