Advice on configuring server

the123guy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I built a server out of desktop parts and am running Ubuntu server on it. What I'm having trouble is figuring out where to start on configuring it, I don't know where to start. I've found several sources to work with but I've only ended in frustration since most only cover how to set up and doesn't continue.

I would like to use the server:
* As a print server. There is only 1 printer in the house and I would like to allow anyone connected to the LAN to print. Jobs will be coming from Windows and Linux computers.
* For web hosting to test out websites. I'd like to know how to protect the server from attack as well as getting a static IP. I've tried setting up a static IP but the only thing that happens is that the server can't determine a path to the outside.
* In order to take advantage of it being on all the time, I'd like to also run Folding@Home on it. So far I've only found instructions about downloading an installer but on the server I'd be doing all that over SSH.

If anything seems unclear please respond. The specs for my server are shown below:
* Athlon II X3 (will upgrade to Phenom II X4 as soon as possible)
* 4GB RAM
* 320GB HD (I gutted an external HD so I'm guessing it's spinning at 5400 rpm)
* Antec Earthwatts 380W
* Biostar A880G+
* Ubuntu Server 12.04

Solution
You can always use the dynamic IP address.
You just have to check what your IP address is for that work session.
Instead of an URL, just type the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address into the browser. Works fine that way.

The issue about running a server (possibly including folding at home) is something you'll have to look at carefully. A lot of ISP plans fine print do not allow web servers.
If you're only running them a hour or two a day you can probably skate if your plan doesn't allow servers.
For a static IP you'll need to work through your ISP. Expect to pay extra for a static IP and for running a web server you're probably going to have move up into a business class plan.

the123guy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

Well that sucks. I was hoping I could make it could be seen outside the LAN, mainly so I could manage it remotely via SSH.

You can always use the dynamic IP address.
You just have to check what your IP address is for that work session.
Instead of an URL, just type the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address into the browser. Works fine that way.

The issue about running a server (possibly including folding at home) is something you'll have to look at carefully. A lot of ISP plans fine print do not allow web servers.
If you're only running them a hour or two a day you can probably skate if your plan doesn't allow servers.

Solution

simon2600

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Whether you have a static or dynamic internet ip is dependant on your provider. Check if your router has options for dynamic address updating, if it does it will probably tell you which providers it supports dyndns noip etc.

the123guy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I figured out how to use it as a web server. All I had to do was enable port forwarding on my router and setup dynamic DNS with ddclient on my machine and the entity I registered my domain with.