Question Advice on PSU connections to an MSI 3060Ti Gaming X card ?

vlahka

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2005
So I finally got around to upgrading my videocard. Not the card I want but the card I deserve. The specs say it needs 1x8 pin and 1x 6 pin. My current PSU is an Corsair 750watt HX750i.
I've put the picture below. So this might seem obvious, but the paranoid part of me needs to be sure. I have an 8pin cable, which I guess I just shove into one of the top right connectors. For the 6pin, I have a spare 8 -6+2 connector. Now can I plug this into the second top right 8 pin slot and just use the 6pin part ignoring the 2 dangling on the side for the card? Or should I stick with a normal 6pin cable and shove that into one of the middle ones on the left. I'm sure both ways will work, just not sure about current output in each one. Sorry for being a smooth brain.

MTB-CP-9020137-EU-1-9.jpg

Now can I plug this into the second top right 8 pin slot and just use the 6pin part ignoring the 2 dangling on the side for the card?
Yes
Or should I stick with a normal 6pin cable and shove that into one of the middle ones on the left.
A hard no. The 6 pin on the PSU is for peripheral/sata only like the writing on the PSU says.

Your PSU came with 8 pin to 2x 6+2 pin daisy chained cables. The solid 8 pin you put in the PSU and the 6+2 pin you put in the GPU. For a 6 pin on the GPU side you only put in the 6 pin and let the 2 pin part hanging around.
For a 3060 Ti using one daisy chained cable is fine. The Corsair cables and connectors are very decent.

vlahka

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2005
My current PSU is an Corsair 750watt HX750i.
How old is the PSU in your build? What did it power throughout it's lifetime/tenure?

Nothing too impressive. Its been running a 1060, 2hdds, 1 sata, 1 m2 drive, and an 8700k. Its about 4 years old now. I dont overclock and sadly over the past couple years barely much time to game as I wish, so the system hasnt been strained much if at all.

vlahka

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2005
Yes

A hard no. The 6 pin on the PSU is for peripheral/sata only like the writing on the PSU says.

Your PSU came with 8 pin to 2x 6+2 pin daisy chained cables. The solid 8 pin you put in the PSU and the 6+2 pin you put in the GPU. For a 6 pin on the GPU side you only put in the 6 pin and let the 2 pin part hanging around.
For a 3060 Ti using one daisy chained cable is fine. The Corsair cables and connectors are very decent.

So going by what you sudgest, I could get 1 8-8pin cable and 1 8-6+2pin cable, plug both of them into the 2 upper right 8 pin slots on the PSU, and then into the GPU and it should be fine. I think at the moment I'm using one of the middle slots for my current 1060 card. At least the two on the upper right are empty. Can't really see exactly where the gpu cable is going but most likely the middle somewhere.