Advice on cooling a AMD fx 9590

wbar

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
I have a fx 9590 and the liquid cooler that I bought will not keep it cool, when I play h1z1 which is not a very demanding game my thermal margins get as low as 1.25C. My case will fit the corsair h105 but I was wondering if there was a really a big difference between the 105 or the 100i v2. Also with mounting the cooler on the top of the case should the fans be exhaust or intake? I have one exhaust fan on the upper side of the rear and two intake fans at the front bottom.

Case is a rosewill nautilus mid atx

Solution

There can be a case where there isn’t enough thermal paste, in these cases cooling hardware are not as efficient. Try to take off the cooler from the CPU and re-apply a new layer of thermal paste. If your unsure, here is a...
If anything, I'd rate the H100i over the H105 due to the former having Corsair Link. I doubt there's any real-world performance difference between the two.

Regarding fan orientation, if the fans are mounted as exhausts then the interior of the case will be cooler but the CPU will be hotter. If the fans are mounted as intakes then the opposite applies. When it comes to the FX-9xxx CPUs, I'd take a cooler CPU.

What motherboard do you have and what are your temperatures?

wbar

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017

I have a gigabyte 990fxa ud3, the temp on the socket while gaming is usually around 56C

wbar

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017

Honestly, I'm not sure. This is my first build and the motherboard and processor were given to me by a friend. He said that he had no issues with the setup he just decided to upgrade to the i7 7700. I haven't had any issues with freezing or anything. What would it do if the motherboard was not a 4.0 and above

wbar

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017

Not sure, I don't even know how to get into BIOS. I tried hiring escape at start up. On a previous computer it would flash f12 for BIOS but this one doesn't. How would I go about updating the BIOS?

The revision will be printed on the motherboard so you'll need to open the case and have a look.

If the motherboard is an earlier revision then the socket and VRMs won't be able to cope with the heat and power output of the CPU. This would result in crashing and possibly an irreparable motherboard.

wbar

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017

Gotcha, I'll check when I get home. Now that you mention that I believe it is a 4.0 but not entirely sure. By the way, thank you for the help

wbar

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017

It is, in fact, a 4.0

Mohan_27

Reputable
Jun 2, 2017

There can be a case where there isn’t enough thermal paste, in these cases cooling hardware are not as efficient. Try to take off the cooler from the CPU and re-apply a new layer of thermal paste. If your unsure, here is a good guide:
https://youtu.be/r2MEAnZ3swQ

Solution