Advice on CPU upgrade

jamie045

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Hey guys I'm just wondering I've currently got an i3 4130 in my computer and I'm gunna upgrade to an i5 4690k as I want to play the likes to Advanced warfare and other fps games. I've also got an AMD radeon powercolor 7870 GPU. Thank you :)

Akarin

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
Well, are you going to overclock, if yes, do you have/plan to buy an aftermarket cooler to do so? If not going to overclock, then there's no reason to go with a 'K' processor, as a non-'K' is cheaper. For a GPU depends on your budget and your need to upgrade, but nowadays I can only recommend a GTX970 for an high-end performance at a good price.

Hi

You did not say what motherboard you have
not all support overclocking

since you are getting a K i5 you presumably will want to overclock or save money on non K version

are you getting an Intel retail boxed cpu with intel heatsink & fan
or a oem version (without heatsink & fan) ?

if over clocking you may need a replacement heatsink & fan
if running at default speed use the intel Heatsink & fan

Finally do your games support multiple (4) cores ?

if not the playing speed improvement may not be as much as you expect
going from 3.4GHz to 3.5GHz or 3.9GHz

regards
Mike Barnes

jamie045

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Hi guys thanks for your quick responses I'm trying to keep my GPU I currently have and because I'm not sure on how to overclock I'd rather just keep it standard so I don't muck nothing up. I also tried playing a friends copy of the game and the lag was too much. I just want a better processor so I can at least play some of the newer ganes

Latest posts