Enclosure gamer Lian Li PC-7HX Noir
Intel Core i7 7700K (4,2 GHz)
Motherboard Asus PRIME Z270-A
Power Supply Corsair RM750x - 750W
DDR4 16 Go 2400 MHz
2 x GTX 1070 8 Go

RyfTwPb.jpg

uSSQvJr.jpg

I'm planning to get two RTX 2080 to replace the 1070's.
I've been reading and documenting myself about blower and dual/triple fans but I'm not really sure about how it would go in reality.
I don't feel fond about blowers and want to go dual or triple fan for the 2080's. As you can see on the pictures my two 1070's are dual fans, relatively close and I never had any problem for two and a half years. But will it be too hot with two 2080's ? I have a third Pcie slot at the bottom that could enable me to distance the cards more, but as far as I understood it's a slot x16 but in mode x4 so the card would run slower and not communicate directly to CPU.

What do you think about two 2080's dual/triple fan replacing my 1070's where they are ? Will they burn ? (I'm not planning to overclock, I mainly do 3D motion design and will just use the cards as they are, and I won't use SLI, I don't even have it activated).

Thank you in advance !

Solution
It'd be far worse on a pair of 2080s. Blower or bust.
Since the 3rd slot operates in x4 mode, you'd lose SLI.

Axial fan models are not ideal in close quarters.
The 2080 has higher operating thermals, due to the greater thermal density of Turing's 12nm node VS 16nm on Pascal - ditto for the GDDR6 memory it's equipped with.
You're gonna have a bad time(thermals) with a pair of 2080s on axial fan coolers.

Out of curiosity, why is the psu fan facing upwards? Is the bottom sealed off in that chassis?
You don't need the psu fighting with the bottom gpu for air...
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU's and I'm looking for some advice
Here is my actual config :
Enclosure gamer Lian Li PC-7HX Noir
Intel Core i7 7700K (4,2 GHz)
Motherboard Asus PRIME Z270-A
Power Supply Corsair RM750x - 750W
DDR4 16 Go 2400 MHz
2 x GTX 1070 8 Go

RyfTwPb.jpg

uSSQvJr.jpg

I'm planning to get two RTX 2080 to replace the 1070's.
I've been reading and documenting myself about blower and dual/triple fans but I'm not really sure about how it would go in reality.
I don't feel fond about blowers and want to go dual or triple fan for the 2080's. As you can see on the pictures my two 1070's are dual fans, relatively close and I never had any problem for two and a half years. But will it be too hot with two 2080's ? I have a third Pcie slot at the bottom that could enable me to distance the cards more, but as far as I understood it's a slot x16 but in mode x4 so the card would run slower and not communicate directly to CPU.

What do you think about two 2080's dual/triple fan replacing my 1070's where they are ? Will they burn ? (I'm not planning to overclock, I mainly do 3D motion design and will just use the cards as they are, and I won't use SLI, I don't even have it activated).

Thank you in advance !
Most certainly it'll get toasty to put 2080's in that config.

I'd recommend for you to look into a watercooled configuration if you plan on upgrading to avoid any overheating and in the worst case failed gpu(s).

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It'd be far worse on a pair of 2080s. Blower or bust.

Axial fan models are not ideal in close quarters.
The 2080 has higher operating thermals, due to the greater thermal density of Turing's 12nm node VS 16nm on Pascal - ditto for the GDDR6 memory it's equipped with.
You're gonna have a bad time(thermals) with a pair of 2080s on axial fan coolers.

Out of curiosity, why is the psu fan facing upwards? Is the bottom sealed off in that chassis?

Solution
Aug 26, 2020
Thanks a lot for your answers !
You confirm my fears, 2 x 2080's with fans would probably be too hot and risky.
That's ok I don't use SLI.

I've read so much bad things about blowers, I'll probably look for a watercooled configuration.
I will search on it, but do you have any recommendation about a watercooling kit to handle these two 2080's ? I don't know anything about it.

Aug 26, 2020

I actually don't know it was mounted like that.
I am have found resources and help about watercooling, this topic can be marker as solved ! Sorry I don't find how to do that.

Thanks to everyone for their answers

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I actually don't know it was mounted like that.
I am have found resources and help about watercooling, this topic can be marker as solved ! Sorry I don't find how to do that.
Well, if it's not hurting anything, I guess it's fine... still a little puzzling to me, as the psu fan would be competing with the bottom gpu fans for air.

Click the trophy icon.