Advice on gaming PC build - gigabyte or galax GPU? And unsure of power supply

xChoco

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Hi everyone :) I've posted a few builds before about my first gaming PC build but I've just changed my mind a few times. The recent build I was happy with - which was:
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-GAMING 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149 @ Umart)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case ($98 @ pc case gear)
Memory/RAM: Corsair Vengence 8gb ($74.98@pcpartpicker)
OR
Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($65 @pcpartpicker)
GPU: Galax GeForce GTX 970 V2 4GB ($449 @ pc case gear)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
($69@pcpartpicker)
*Power Supply:
Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104 @ CPL Online)
WIFI adapter: wireless ~ Asus PCE-AC56 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($74@pcpartpicker)
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ($65@pcparpicker)

Total: $1,279.95

- is really good and affordable but I was able to increase my budget so I've decided to upgrade quite a few things.

This is my new build now:

Intel Core i7-4790k @4.00 GHz ($486 @ newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard ($134 @ newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($189pcpartpicker)
Memory/RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($125@pcpartpicker)
GPU: Galax GeForce GTX 970 V2 4GB ($449 @ pc case gear)
OR
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 WindForce OC 4GB ($489@pccasegear)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69@pcpartpicker)
Storage:Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129 @pcl)
*Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($?)
OR
Silverstone Strider Gold S 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($155 @pcpartpicker)
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ($65 @pcpartpicker)

Total: $1,645 (roughly)

There's just a couple things I'm unsure of such as the gpu because I'm not too sure which is better and also the power supply.

Thank you for taking your time to read through this :)

as the pc not built yet...hold of for the newer pascal gpu. there be a little more then the older cards when they first come out in a few weeks. but there going to be a lot faster. first week in april nvidia is doing a launch of the new cards at a trade show oyu be able to web watch the ceo of nvidia show off there new gpu. for the power supply evga/xfx/seasonic or a rebranded seasonic isa good chose. look at tom hardware power supply tier list so you know your buying a power supply that hold up in a gaming rig.

fredfinks

Honorable
Gigabyte 970

EVGA G2 or another good price tier 1 is the Antec HCG (high current gamer) 620w.

Regarding release of pascal if it does release soon then look on ebay for 2nd hand GPU deals. I expect itll be in Australia in July or even August.

xChoco

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
How much will the pascal GPU be roughly? And will it be worth waiting that long for it when I could just settle for one of the current gpu for an affordable price? Or even so get a gtx 980 Ti which performs faster than either of the gpu I've put up and I reckon that'd be even cheaper just because the pascal gpu will be so new.

Also I've checked on a site (http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator) for the power supply wattage I'd need for the pieces I'd have in my computer and they gave me a number but it also recommended adding an extra 100w to the current number which is why I've gone with 650w/750w but I'm a little undecided of which one in case one is not enough or the other is too much.

fredfinks

Honorable
Dpends on what monitor you run. a 970 will do 1080p 60hz at max.
A 980ti does 1440p 60hz max

If youve got cash , def go the 980ti route and get yourself a large 30"+ 1440p 60hz monitor.
If youll be staying with 1080p, stay within the 970 range

Pascal wont be out for a few months. Reports say maybe May. I say June before they are readily available. You will probab find some good deals on 2nd hand cards on ebay when it comes out as people upgrade & sell. Keep in mine a lot of people wait for that moment and those cards still hold a lot of their value.

xChoco

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

If I use multiple monitors, would the 980ti still be useful? Plus I'll be staying with 1080p for a while and save up for another monitor later on, so should I go with the 980ti anyway?

Yeah that's true :) so people will still be selling them for a high price just not as much as from computer stores or online?

fredfinks

Honorable
Yes if you run multiple monitors absolutely. 2x 1080 monitors is more pixels to push than a single 1440 monitor.
A single large 32"~ 1440 monitor is great because theres no bezels or any setup hassle AND less GPU power to run than 2x 1080.

Go to ebay and select sold listings on the left to see what theyve recently gone for. Again, upgrade often with GPUs, after intial costly purchase you sell in 12-18 months or so and recover significant amount of $. It doesnt cost that much to run the best gear.

xChoco

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

Yeah that's true, so I'll just get the one monitor then :)
But which one of the two GPUs should I go for? And I also don't think I'll be waiting that long for the Pascal either so I might just settle for just a new one of the chosen GPUs

xChoco

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Also as this is my first pc build and I don't know that much about computer parts, what do you guys think of the parts I've chosen? I'm not looking to OC but I've got parts that allow me to just so that in the future if I decide to, i can overclock.
If you have any suggestions for any other parts that you think would go better with this build please let me know :)