[SOLVED] Advice on gaming PC for my son

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 19, 2019
Firstly thank you in advance.

I would like to buy my son a pc for XMAS however i'm quite confused with all the options.

He likes wants to play fornite, GTA, Ghost Recon mainly FPS games with a good smooth frame rate and good graphics.

I went to curry's pcworld and saw these 2 pc's on sale. 1 is cheap which will allow him to upgrade and the other is about £1150 and is better however I'm not sure which one to go for. Is the higher end one any good or is it a rip off?

PC 1:
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 2GB
AMD RYZEN 3 3rd GEN
8GB DDR4 RAM
1TB HDD & 120 GB SSD
190_ FPS at normal 1080p on fornite
WIFI 802.11

PRICE: £599

PC 2:
OMEN 875-0051na
NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2060 6GB
Intel 9th Gen Core i7 - 9700F processor
16GB DDR4 RAM
2 TB HDD 256 SSD

PRICE: £1150

If it's better for me to build a PC can someone on a good specification build. I would like to spend no more than £1100 for pc.

My main concern is the PC not being powerful enough in a years time or if a game comes out requires higher specifications.

Many thanks.

Solution
Second thoughts could you revise your quote to be same in terms of GPU & CPU?
The CPU is close in performance so I'd stick with that but I dumped the CPU cooler (the stock works fine but can be a little audible, changed the SSD & then swapped the GPU to the 5700 which performs close to the 2060 and kept close to budget.

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£174.78 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£64.13 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£54.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£33.99 @ Amazon...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They give you mostly everything here:

Desktop PC Gaming Intel Core i7 9700K ,16GB DDR4 2400 Mhz RAM, 480Gb SSD,RTX 2060 6Gb DDR5 -Win 10 Pro 64 bit

-Intel Core i7 9700k Processor

-16Gb DDR4

-480 Gb SSD Hard

-650w Corsair power supply

-Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

-NVIDIA RTX 2060 6Gb Graphics Card

-MSI B360m

Motherboard is low end and not really suited for a 9700k.

DDR4 2400 isn't bad, just not good considering that for a few pounds you can get 3000Mhz or 3200Mhz memory.

Unlabled SSD, unknown memory configuration, unlabeled RTX2060.

Why Windows 10 Pro, that is quite an expense for a gaming system. Home is plenty enough, and I would not trust that they are actually giving you a license.

Agreed, Ebay is not the place to buy a computer. You have no idea who these people are, how well they will package it for shipping, etc. Probably ghost you as soon as it is sold, and you never know if they are being truthful about any of it until it is in your possession.

Nov 19, 2019
My issue when buying these store built computers is that most of them come with windows preinstalled and they stick on nearly an additional £100 to cover the cost (in my experience of what i've seen). Compared to the £10 key you can purchase quite easily online if you were to build yourself one saving you a decent chunk on unneccesary software alone.
Thanks brad for your advise. But that aside is the pc generally good spec / value?

I have to agree with the rest here

"Desktop PC Gaming Intel Core i7 9700K ,16GB DDR4 2400 Mhz RAM, 480Gb SSD,RTX 2060 6Gb DDR5 -Win 10 Pro 64 bit" <-- this is all wrong !

Core i7 9700K , but then you can read "Processor speed: 2.7GHz". Base speed of Core i7 9700K is 3.6GHz, Boost is 4.9GHz

Motherboard MSI B360m, really a low end model to pair with a 9700K

No brand, no model, 16GB DDR4 2400 Mhz RAM really low end speed, and it doesn't said if its 2x8GB memory sticks to work in dual channel, which is what you shouold ask for!!!

No brand, no model 480Gb SSD, or is it 240GB cause it also said thats up there.

No brand, no model RTX 2060 6Gb DDR5 ---- RTX cards use GDDR6 RAM, not DDR5

Windows 10 Pro <-- waste of money.

Cheers

Nov 19, 2019
I have to agree with the rest here

"Desktop PC Gaming Intel Core i7 9700K ,16GB DDR4 2400 Mhz RAM, 480Gb SSD,RTX 2060 6Gb DDR5 -Win 10 Pro 64 bit" <-- this is all wrong !

Core i7 9700K , but then you can read "Processor speed: 2.7GHz". Base speed of Core i7 9700K is 3.6GHz, Boost is 4.9GHz

Motherboard MSI B360m, really a low end model to pair with a 9700K

No brand, no model, 16GB DDR4 2400 Mhz RAM really low end speed, and it doesn't said if its 2x8GB memory sticks to work in dual channel, which is what you shouold ask for!!!

No brand, no model 480Gb SSD, or is it 240GB cause it also said thats up there.

No brand, no model RTX 2060 6Gb DDR5 ---- RTX cards use GDDR6 RAM, not DDR5

Windows 10 Pro <-- waste of money.

Cheers

Wow thanks for the breakdown, I really wouldnt have known any of that!

Reactions: RodroX
Nov 21, 2019
Thanks brad for your advise. But that aside is the pc generally good spec / value?
I can't comment on prebuilds quality I'm afraid as I've never bought one, I just see the £1000 price tag and back away as from my experience I was able to buy everything I needed for closer to £600 and it's true what people say, idiots can build computers nowadays 😂 any little YouTube guide as long as you follow it step by step and maybe watch a video or two on things not to do you'll be absolutely fine. Plus you've got this community of pc gurus on here to help fix any problem you find

Reactions: RodroX
Good advise

I will ask the guy for a full format quote with part details so you guys can critique it

thanks again

Keep in mind a lot of the suggestions include a monitor/mouse/keyboard and headphones in the price and all those other ones you are looking at don't.

Just take one of those parts lists and if you don't want to built it or don't know anyone that could, pay a shop to do it for you. It takes maybe 3 hours to do a build for someone experienced including installing Windows and drivers, and that includes making sure the wires are neat. You can get a system with the parts you want that way. I don't see how anyone these days does not know someone that had built several computers, even if it's a friend of a friend, co-worker, IT guy at work you ask. If someone at work asked me to build a system for them and they tossed me a 50 or 100 to do it, I'd be more than happy to help out.

Nov 19, 2019
Keep in mind a lot of the suggestions include a monitor/mouse/keyboard and headphones in the price and all those other ones you are looking at don't.

Just take one of those parts lists and if you don't want to built it or don't know anyone that could, pay a shop to do it for you. It takes maybe 3 hours to do a build for someone experienced including installing Windows and drivers, and that includes making sure the wires are neat. You can get a system with the parts you want that way. I don't see how anyone these days does not know someone that had built several computers, even if it's a friend of a friend, co-worker, IT guy at work you ask. If someone at work asked me to build a system for them and they tossed me a 50 or 100 to do it, I'd be more than happy to help out.

Thanks for your feeback. I might ask around, if anyone lives in London, Wimbledon, morden surrey area and could assist in building a PC then please drop me a message.