[SOLVED] Advice on getting started on water coooling

Jan 15, 2021
Hi, I’m finally pulling the trigger on a water cooling setup. Here is my dilemma; I'm planning on upgrading mb's to an AM5 when it becomes available and jumping on that DDR5 life. With that said, currently I have an AM4 and If I install water cooling with my current setup, will I have to cut/move pipes when I get my new mb or just need too replace the CPU block?

I understand that this might be quite expensive if it were so but I'd assume you would only need to replace the CPU block but want to know from people who have experience.

Thank you!

Solution
You asked for advice so I am giving it.
Liquid cooling is not all it is cracked up to be.
Be patient.
If you really want it, go ahead.
But do not be surprised if in a year or two what looks good now will be passe.
There is no guarantee that AMD will be better than Intel in the next gen.
Since new gen will be made of smaller components, it is likely that liquid coolers will no longer be of any advantage.
If you have money you are itching to spend, try to buy something more permanent.
Perhaps a larger/faster monitor.
Or go to all ssd devices.
AM5 will have a new cpu socket that is incompatible with current coolers.
There may be adapters offered, but who knows what or when.
It is unknown if cooling requirements will be greater or less.

If your plan for water cooling is just to experiment as a hobbyist, and you have a good budget, then by all means go for it.

But, if you hope to gain some performance out of it take a deep breath and think again.

Reactions: Alres3
Jan 15, 2021
I'm in Canada and my budget is $800, I'm planning on buying everything now but the CPU block just because I'll be upgrading my MB when AM5 comes out. What are your thoughts on this plan?

Jan 15, 2021
Is this watercooling because you need the additional heat transfer away from a CPU or GPU, or for cool points on a build?

Cool points to finish my InWin925 build that I started last year.

IMO, wouldn't purchase anything for the 'next gen' parts until we have some far better idea on what it's going to be

Not even the pipes, GPU block, fitting, etc but the CPU block? Because some prices are really good right now.

Jan 15, 2021
In this case, what other justification do you need? ;)

LMAO I want to be smart about it because it is cost / performance and that is why I'm asking perhaps buy everything but the CPU block? And just wait it out then became some parts are good right now and I'm not sure if it will go up .

Be patient.
Since new gen will be made of smaller components, it is likely that liquid coolers will no longer be of any advantage.
If you have money you are itching to spend, try to buy something more permanent.

Solution

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
Be patient.
They are right, liquid cooling can only go so far.